Thread: Deans confirms interest in All Blacks coaching role

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Deans confirms interest in All Blacks coaching role

31/10/2007
    NZPA

It's official. Crusaders head coach Robbie Deans today declared his desire for the All Blacks coaching spot -- should it become vacant.

Deans formerly announced his availability at a news conference in Christchurch following the Crusaders squad announcement for the 2008 Rebel Sport Super 14 competition.

He also said he would not be interviewed for the Wallabies' head coaching job.

Confirmation of Deans' interest in the top job -- should the NZRU board opt for changes after considering an independent review of the failed World Cup campaign -- came as no surprise.

Intense speculation on his future since the All Blacks were eliminated by France in the Cup quarterfinals on October 7, prompted Deans to say he would apply to potentially succeed Graham Henry should he not be retained, or seek a new contract.

Deans distanced himself from the Wallabies job, saying he would not be involved in the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) interview process which starts on November 9.

"I just wanted the opportunity to say it for myself," said Deans, who recently returned from Paris, where he watched the latter stages of the World Cup.

"Essentially I am available, interested and keen to coach the All Blacks."

Deans was careful to emphasise he wouldn't be doing anything "in the near future" that would jeopardise his chances, a reference to the Wallabies job vacated by John Connolly.

Deans met ARU chief executive John O'Neill while in France but reiterated his priority was the All Blacks.

Clearly at the top of O'Neill's wish-list, Deans acknowledged his international coaching aspirations could be thwarted should the NZRU review maintain the status quo after the Wallabies post was filled.

"That's a possibility," he said.

"They've (the ARU) got a process to go through as well and they've got timelines they may want to meet. That's the way it is."

An announcement on who will coach the All Blacks next season is expected in December.

Deans and Hansen are thought to be the frontrunners should Henry, 61, make way.

The most successful coach in Super rugby history after leading the Crusaders to four titles and two finals since taking over in 2000, Deans was previously involved with the All Blacks as John Mitchell's assistant -- a reign that ended with the All Blacks semifinal defeat by Australia at the 2003 World Cup.

Meanwhile, Deans confirmed Wales had also been gauging his interest in succeeding Gareth Jenkins, the first World Cup coaching casualty.

"They phoned me before they came down a couple of weeks ago," Deans said.

"I said `look you're wasting your time if you're coming to see me,' but they weren't just coming to see me," he told NZPA.

"We had porridge together. It was great."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Now is the best time to take it, you get a full four years at the helm before you'll get the sack.

vCash
    Porridge?

I think Deans would be a good Coach for the AB's....rub off some of that Crusader magic of past hopefully!!