Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Croke Park hosts 'foreign games'

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Croke Park hosts 'foreign games'

Although anti-rugby, I love the way that the GAA have stuck it up the other sports for so long!
    Croke Park is a magnificent ground too, it'll be a case of "don't let the door slap you on the arse on the way out" once the Lansdowne Road works are complete!!!
    Amazing that Irelands five biggest grounds are all GAA venues with Lansdowne Road currently sixth (although second on seating).
    Croke Park has a capacity of 82,500 with 69,500 seats. Would be great Tests to go to if able.
    http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium...oke_park.shtml

Croke Park hosts 'foreign games'

From correspondents in Dublin

January 18, 2006

DUBLIN's Croke Park, the spiritual home of Gaelic football, is to stage Irish football and rugby internationals for the first time in its near 100-year history in 2007.

Two rugby union internationals have been scheduled for February and at least three football matches in March, October and November for the 82,500 capacity stadium, one of Europe's largest sports venues.

The ground is owned by the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA), a predominately nationalist and Catholic sporting organisation, whose "Rule 42" banned the playing of "foreign games" such as football and rugby union internationals at its grounds.

But knowing that Lansdowne Road, the home of Ireland's national rugby union and football teams, is set for redevelopment later this year, the rule was temporarily relaxed.

In a joint statement overnight the GAA, the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) and the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) confirmed that they had reached agreement on playing football and rugby internationals at Croke Park.

"Discussions on the possible use of Croke Park have been ongoing over the last few weeks and these discussions are scheduled to continue relative to operational matters," the statement said.

But it stressed: "The situation post 2007 has not been discussed or considered and any future application will be reviewed in the context of the Lansdowne Road development project in 2007."

Philip Browne, the IRFU chief executive, said: "This agreement represents a significant milestone in Irish sporting history."

His counterpart at the FAI, John Delaney, hailed the agreement as "an historic day for soccer and for sport in Ireland".

Sean Kelly, President of the GAA which oversees sports such as hurling and gaelic football, said he is pleased the agreement has been reached between the respective sporting bodies.

Agence France-Presse

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Dammit another classic, historically important ground going. I once said that I wanted to go to the UK for a Wallabies tour just so I could experince Lansdown Road and Cardiff Arms Park - now I cant to either. Its a sad day

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You'll just have to make do with Subiaco mate, wrong shape but that was built in 1908

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Been there done that

Exile
    Sydney

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    ...would do it again

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    well in 20 odd days i will

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Think you'll find that this is only a very temporary concession while Lansdowne Road is being redeveloped into a 50,000 seater stadium. So although much of the "atmosphere" and tradition might be lost TCIE i am sure a good Irish welcome will more than make up for it.

I've been lucky to have visted both the Arms Park and Lansdowne on many occasions but I have to say that the Millenium Stadium which of course replaced the Arms Park is magnificent. I was last there in November to see Wales defeat Australia and with the roof closed it was quiet something. Hopefully the development in Dublin will have a similar result.

By the way Croke Park of course does not have floodlights, which clearly makes it difficult to see how this sort of arrangement could continue in any case. The biggest advantage will be that tickets for the Irish home games should be just a little easier to get hold off with 85k instead of the normal 40k.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What is the planned capacity of the new Lansdowne Road Flat-top?

vCash
    50,000 all seated my friend. Looks like quite a number will be retained for corporate fans (the suits) but even so it will be a huge improvement on the facilities at Lansdowne at present. When I was last there for the All Blacks (Oh that game hurt) they actually had to close the North Terrace which lost 7,000 places, sadly most of the fans that couldn't get in were AB's who had travelled a long way just to end up watching in a bar. Was the first and probably last time I got a complimentary seat thanks to my nephew who works for Coca Cola...any other game and I would have been with the great unwashed on the North Terrace!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat-top
    Think you'll find that this is only a very temporary concession while Lansdowne Road is being redeveloped into a 50,000 seater stadium. So although much of the "atmosphere" and tradition might be lost TCIE i am sure a good Irish welcome will more than make up for it.

I've been lucky to have visted both the Arms Park and Lansdowne on many occasions but I have to say that the Millenium Stadium which of course replaced the Arms Park is magnificent. I was last there in November to see Wales defeat Australia and with the roof closed it was quiet something. Hopefully the development in Dublin will have a similar result.

By the way Croke Park of course does not have floodlights, which clearly makes it difficult to see how this sort of arrangement could continue in any case. The biggest advantage will be that tickets for the Irish home games should be just a little easier to get hold off with 85k instead of the normal 40k.
    Yep it is only temporary, and the GAA who control Croke Park deliberated for quite a while over letting the IRFU and FAI use it for Rugby and Soccer. If you want to see some Bloody History and a finals match that could have cost you your life look up "Bloody Sunday" or "Croke Park" on Wikipedia, when the Britisih Auxiliaries Marched into Croke park and started firing into the crowd, To think that happened in the last 100 years is shocking!

I have been lucky enough to attend 6N matches at the old Arms Park, Millenium Stad, Lansdowne Road and Murrayfield, the away trips to Scotland and Dublin were always good craic, I miss them! Flat-top is right though, the atmosphere at the Millenium Stadium is fantastic.... I'm not sure it's a "quiet something" as he suggests though!

I'll have to make do with Subi, the Irish are coming to town this year - bring out the Guiness!

We are TheWholeForce kin (try saying this really fast)

vCash

Talking

Fair play Pontyboy...certainly wasn't quite quiet. But then on the other hand I'll be drinking Guinness rather than Guiness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat-top
    Fair play Pontyboy...certainly wasn't quite quiet. But then on the other hand I'll be drinking Guinness rather than Guiness.
    Caught out at my own game!!!!!

vCash
    croke park is better than the tin shed that is landsdowne.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pontyboy
    Yep it is only temporary, and the GAA who control Croke Park deliberated for quite a while over letting the IRFU and FAI use it for Rugby and Soccer. If you want to see some Bloody History and a finals match that could have cost you your life look up "Bloody Sunday" or "Croke Park" on Wikipedia, when the Britisih Auxiliaries Marched into Croke park and started firing into the crowd, To think that happened in the last 100 years is shocking!

I have been lucky enough to attend 6N matches at the old Arms Park, Millenium Stad, Lansdowne Road and Murrayfield, the away trips to Scotland and Dublin were always good craic, I miss them! Flat-top is right though, the atmosphere at the Millenium Stadium is fantastic.... I'm not sure it's a "quiet something" as he suggests though!

I'll have to make do with Subi, the Irish are coming to town this year - bring out the Guiness!
    AH, Murrayfield.Went up there in 1972 to see Allblacks v Scotland.Weekend trip,found Rose st,ended up staying a month!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter
    AH, Murrayfield.Went up there in 1972 to see Allblacks v Scotland.Weekend trip,found Rose st,ended up staying a month!
    '72 eh? I was but a twinkle in my daddy's eye!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast