Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Breaking News - ARU Chairman McGrath stands down

vCash
    Stepping practice in a minefield rather than that funny ladder thing they use

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Backs all get regulation "buzz cuts"

vCash
    Wasn't McGrath around for the last sacking of O'Neil - 1 down 5 more board members to go! Can see this board hearing will be as transparent as the Bundy Bear - perhaps they will make the hearing a script for the next ad

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Would a board clean out be a bad thing?
    Surely with Cosgrove the only one left (And at least acting chair) the politics would have to be REDUCED wouldn't they? I mean I still don't think Perth would get a fair shake of the stick, because O'Neill was pretty vocal in saying that Melbourne should have got it, but there should be less board interference with the national team and less bias to "the old guard" in a climate where emerging markets are showing themselves prepared to support rugby in a big way.

C'mon the

vCash

McGrath returns to the chair

McGrath returns to the chair

November 02, 2007

AUSTRALIAN Rugby Union chairman Peter McGrath will return to the role after, an investigation into a sponsor's complaint about his behaviour at the Rugby World Cup was concluded.

The ARU released a statement late today stating McGrath would be counselled but was free to chair the next board meeting.

He stood aside when sponsor Bundaberg Rum alleged he was intoxicated at a public function in Marseilles last month.

"Having considered a report from the ARU's board human resources committee, which investigated the alleged breach, the board - after careful consideration - resolved to counsel Mr McGrath in relation to his behaviour which placed at risk the reputation of ARU and its partners," the statement read.

"However, the board maintains confidence in his chairmanship and as a result Mr McGrath will resume the role as chairman of the board at the next board meeting.
    Acting chairman General Peter Cosgrove said the ARU considered the matter over.

"The allegation was thoroughly investigated and the board considered the results of that investigation and submissions by Mr McGrath," he said in the statement.

"The board believes this matter has been handled appropriately, and it is now closed."

McGrath, who missed out on an International Rugby Board executive position following the allegation, said he was looking to the future.

"This has been a very stressful time for me and my family," he said in the statement.

"That said, (the) ARU is committed to standards on and off the field and I understand the importance of the reputation of the ARU and its commercial partners.

"Rugby has been part of my life for many years and I now look forward to helping shape it into the future."

AAP

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2