Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poll finds Brits get less likeable as time goes by

vCash

Poll finds Brits get less likeable as time goes by

From correspondents in Brussels

October 19, 2007 01:39am

A POLL of Europeans showed people of different nationalities liked each other more after getting to know each other, except in the case of the British - who became less popular.

A project organised by the Notre Europe think tank brought together 362 citizens from 27 EU states for two days of deliberations in Brussels last weekend.

They were asked their views on a range of issues before and after the event, including how much they liked or disliked German, French, Polish, Italian, British and Spanish people.

The Spaniards were most popular with 78.6 per cent approval at the end of the weekend.

The Poles the least with 67 per cent.

But all nationalities gained in popularity, bar the British who went from a 70.3 per cent approval rating at the start of the weekend to 68.1 per cent by the end.

Professor James Fishkin of Stanford University in the US, who developed the polling technique used, urged some caution about the findings.

“I would be careful about drawing too much inference about people disliking the British - it's small and not significant, but you know, it is what it is, and it did happen that way.”

Prof Fishkin said he did not think France's defeat by England in the rugby World Cup semi-final in between the two polls had had an influence, even though the number of French participants in the survey was disproportionately high.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    45 percent of statistics are made up, 37.6 percent of people know that!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    45 percent of statistics are made up, 37.6 percent of people know that!
    37.6% of people take a Statistics class while in school.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    These stats might be made up, but I know I dislike the British a lot more in the last three weeks!

C'mon the

vCash
    The article was just so apt - couldn't resist posting it!

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Very apt indeed.

I still love the reaction of the German people when they got next to no votes during the Eurovision Song Contest last year when they released a statement asking the rest of Europe, 'Why does everyone hate us so much?'

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Hmmmm.......... British? Covers a multitude of nationalities. Well, 4, anyway. And they're all quite different!!!
    Just wouldn't want us all to get lumped in together...

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    A drop of 2.2% in two days. How far will they drop over four years if they win the World Cup?

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Em-Forcer View Post
    Hmmmm.......... British? Covers a multitude of nationalities. Well, 4, anyway. And they're all quite different!!!
    Just wouldn't want us all to get lumped in together...
    Actually......

"Britain" refers to Wales & England (in no particular order)

"Great Britain" refers to Scotland, Wales & England (in no particular order)

"Great Britain & Norther Ireland" refers to Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales & England (in no particular order)

Therefore, this article refers to the English & Welsh.....no surprise there then!!!

PS - Em....didn't you listen to anything at school? Tsk tsk!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    I've had longer to forget whatever I learnt at school...!

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Actually......

"Britain" refers to Wales & England (in no particular order)

"Great Britain" refers to Scotland, Wales & England (in no particular order)

"Great Britain & Norther Ireland" refers to Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales & England (in no particular order)

Therefore, this article refers to the English & Welsh.....no surprise there then!!!

Welcome to the dark side Jedi Knight. You are now embarking on a dangerous mission. There are those that would choose to ridicule you as we enter the final phase of this conquest.

Fear not, the force is strong, there will be blood, snot and tears shed on the field of battle but the spoils will be retained by the Pomlandians.

Your bravery will not go un rewarded. Arise Sir Jedi.

vCash
    I've gotta admit, you're a gutsy one Wilko, with the noted bias to the Saffers amongst most of the members of this site.

I do have to credit you though since you are the only england supporter who has signed up during this World Cup and done something other that toss some shit around and run for the hills.

Like I told Bulldog, See ya Monday. Unlike Bulldog, I fully expect you to be here regardless of the result, and one of us will be giving the other holy hell about supporting a losing side. That's the way it's meant to be!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty View Post
    I've gotta admit, you're a gutsy one Wilko, with the noted bias to the Saffers amongst most of the members of this site.

I do have to credit you though since you are the only england supporter who has signed up during this World Cup and done something other that toss some shit around and run for the hills.

Like I told Bulldog, See ya Monday. Unlike Bulldog, I fully expect you to be here regardless of the result, and one of us will be giving the other holy hell about supporting a losing side. That's the way it's meant to be!
    "I've gotta admit, you're a gutsy one Wilko, with the noted bias to the Saffers amongst most of the members of this site."

Cheers GIGST, I can't wait for the game, I,m gonna get shit either way, sort of comes with the territory. Don't forget if you see the error of your ways you've got until 3.00am Sun.

Don't fight it...

vCash
    Nope, I've cast my lot.

Not that I've got a huge emotional investment in the match, but you can't back out on a team you've chosen to support even if you've spent the last 4 years calling them neanderthals with no rugby skills.

Bokke Bokke Bokke
    which I think is some chicken dish

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast