Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: $1m deal to keep Latham

vCash
    Yeah Larry you should have realised that those points that are updated continuously and used to rank international teams at any time are totally meaningless, the only way to tell whether an international team is any good is once every 4 years.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    I still think it's unfair to suggest that we should only be worried about what's going to happen in 4 years when we really should have our eyes on the prizes coming up. I don't know about you, but I think the Bledisloe cup is bloody important! As much as I love the world cup, I really don't approve of it being the be all and end all of rugby achievement.

Sure it's an opportunity to play against the rest of the world, but we played against the major competitors in our world cup pool, in the year leading up to the RWC anyways.

I would like to think that given it's 4 years away, the 2011 world cup is put out of everyone's minds for at least a year or two and that we focus on the games at hand. We should try and pick the best team we can for the season and not worry about the longevity of some of the players.

Lets worry about that in a year or two.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Sorry Jess you must have missed the sarcasm there!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Yep, I have to agree - he's a great player, but he is not worth $1M/yr to Australian rugby unless it is predominantly outside funding.
    Thats Right but some people don't understand that.

vCash
    I reckon we should have him at the Force for 3 reasons

1. We have a need for another full back along with Cam and Drew - giving the best interchangeable back 3 in the country/world?
    2. There is the money here in Perth.
    3. I would really piss off the Eastern State if we scored him as well!!

And of course we would win the Super 14 championship in our 3rd season in front of record Aussie crowds at a crappy stadium.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    Poor jess any rugby player will tell you that the World Cup is the biggest thing in rugby , its the only contest that all Rugby nations can play for. World Cup Get it?.

vCash
    Oh I understand it's a big deal prop53... a big deal indeed.

But why should our squads for Bledisloes and Tri nations suffer as a result of anticipating what may happen in four years?

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    I do hear where you're coming from Jess, I understand that World Cups are the only tournament where the entire Rugby world compete, but I lament the use of every other test as a lead up to that competition. I remember everyone going off when Wales sent down a bunch of fringe players and Apprentices in preparation for this world cup, but isn't that exactly what we're suggesting when we say Latho shouldn't be chased with everything we have.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty View Post
    I do hear where you're coming from Jess, I understand that World Cups are the only tournament where the entire Rugby world compete, but I lament the use of every other test as a lead up to that competition. I remember everyone going off when Wales sent down a bunch of fringe players and Apprentices in preparation for this world cup, but isn't that exactly what we're suggesting when we say Latho shouldn't be chased with everything we have.
    I'm with Jess and I don't think you can really compare the two. For me it's not just about Latham being too old for the next World Cup- its also the amount of money being offered. If he wanted $500,000 a season (which is a hell of a lot of money) I say let him stay as long as he likes and he can captain us at the next world cup if he wants to. It's the two combined that make it a bad deal. Letting one player swan off to Europe at the end of his career isn't going to ruin a game or make it less of a spectacle whereas fielding a team full of both fringe players and apprentices will. It's when we take the competitiveness out of games for the sake of the World Cup that its a problem.

vCash
    I think that there is a bigger picture which you are all missing

To win the next world cup the Wallabies have to be able to play both the northern and southern hemisphere type game and win. In order to do that the Wallabies need exposure to both types of game - and there is two types of game in operation the open expansive play which Aus enjoys and the Negative Front Row dominated game of the Northern Hemisphere.

The Wallabies don't have a front Row which can win against a heavy pack. The new ELVs make it less likely that the Wallabies will develop such a pack.

As for Latham good luck to him - if he can get a $1 million let him. The ARU only gives a set amount - along with the S14 Franchises - the rest is made up of sponsorships - so he will have to drink a lot of Bundy or make a lot of ads for Telstra to make up the difference - that's for his management team to decide/ organise.

In the meantime the ARU should be sending PROP material to Europe to learn how to scrum against the Saffas and English - then in 4 years time the Wallabies will be able to win the ball and if the likes of Latham have passed on their skills - convert the procession into points.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    In the meantime the ARU should be sending PROP material to Europe to learn how to scrum against the Saffas and English - then in 4 years time the Wallabies will be able to win the ball and if the likes of Latham have passed on their skills - convert the procession into points.
    I was thinking of feeding a prop so much food that when he crouches his belly touches the ground so he doesn't collapse thus truly living up to the name 'prop'.

vCash
    But then his back would not be level with his hips and a part of his body in contact with the ground all Illegal, and the ref would have to call the Scrum up so it would start all over again.How about $1000000 to go towards a Rugby Acamedy where skills could be passed on (correct ones). at a early age and all would benifit down the line ? Domestic or World Cup Comps. wow a prop having an idea like that ( scan required)

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Did you maybe eat somebody and assimilate his brain into your own?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prop53 View Post
    How about $1000000 to go towards a Rugby Acamedy where skills could be passed on (correct ones).
    Maybe the ARU should look at what Addidas did for NZRFU and the money they spent on building the academy. What has CCC done????

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    I think that there is a bigger picture which you are all missing

To win the next world cup the Wallabies have to be able to play both the northern and southern hemisphere type game and win. In order to do that the Wallabies need exposure to both types of game - and there is two types of game in operation the open expansive play which Aus enjoys and the Negative Front Row dominated game of the Northern Hemisphere.

The Wallabies don't have a front Row which can win against a heavy pack. The new ELVs make it less likely that the Wallabies will develop such a pack.
    That is provided the ELV's or part of them are not adopted wrold wide before RWC 2011, adoipt the new ELV's and we'll be miles in front IMHO (and Henners)!!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast