Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BoganBall: The game we are still really really really good at

vCash

BoganBall: The game we are still really really really good at

Kiwis looked exceptionally poor in this game. I guess that comes from selecting players who usually play 30 or so minutes in NRL games. At least in League we are nigh unbeatable! 7 debutantes for the Kangaroos many of whom scored a try (or more).

Would love to see Folau, Inglis, Hayne or Stewart play the 15 man game.

Kangaroos romp to record victory
    14/10/2007 3:48:19 PM

Dean Wedlake at Westpac Stadium

Sportal

A red-hot Kangaroos outfit has run riot with a record 58-0 annihilation of the hapless Kiwis in the Centenary Test at Westpac Stadium on Sunday.

The match involved a host of rookie internationals - 13 in fact - but it was the seven Australian debutants that found their first taste much sweeter as they made a big impact.

For the six Kiwis, along with coach Gary Kemble in his first Test in charge, it was a baptism of fire where a brittle defensive wall was smashed to pieces by the rampant visitors and the score threatened to match the number of years since international rugby league's beginnings in 1908.

Wing Israel Folau, the freshest face in Kangaroos history at only 18, started the dance of the debutants when he opened the scoring with a show of brute strength.

Palming off four defenders, including five eighth Ben Roberts twice, the NRL's Dally M Rookie of the Year dotted down in the 15th minute for the first four-pointer of what promises to be a long international career.

Prop Steve Price, elevated to the starting line-up in place of Brent Kite, then carved through more wafer-thin defence five minutes later as Australia raced away to a 12-0 lead.

Only dropped possession from five eighth Greg Bird and prop Petero Civoniceva over the Kiwis' line kept the scoreline from ballooning further.

The home side needed a shift in momentum, but what it got was the loss of centre Steve Matai after a brutal off-the-ball charge on opposite number Mark Gasnier.

Renowned as a player fond of the physicalities, Matai set his targets on Gasnier and, despite the ball being offloaded, clattered him with a late shoulder and referee Steve Ganson had no hesitation in sending him from the field. The Kangaroos were also resigned to losing Gasnier as he was stretchered off in a very sick state.

While Matai was possibly looking to galvanise his side with a show of force, it backfired as the slick Australians pulled together and ran in three quick tries to lead 26-0 at the break.

Centre Greg Inglis exposed a stretch in defensive resources to score in the left corner, halfback Cooper Cronk put on a pinpoint cross kick for Folau - a move seen countless times at Melbourne's Olympic Park this season - before wing Jarryd Hayne followed his childhood friend across the chalk to become the afternoon's second try-scorer on debut.

It's hard to imagine what Kemble could have said to his shell-shocked charges in the halftime sheds, but whatever it was, it did not bring a change in fortunes as the Kangaroos continued their dominance on resumption.

Inglis crossed again to match his grand final double eight minutes after the break, before a passing chain went along the left through Cronk, Hayne and finally onto fullback Brett Stewart for his first try in the green and gold jumper.

Perhaps the try of the match followed with the Kangaroos' eighth as they rampaged up the field through several pairs of hands, showing a real sense of cohesiveness before Bird cut back on the angle to score a well-deserved try.

That was followed by the softest four-pointer of the contest when replacement back rower Michael Crocker ran through an acre of space around the ruck area then offloaded to Inglis, who swatted off feeble efforts from two demoralised Kiwi defenders before running 30m to push the score out to 46-0.

Further pain was to follow, although a fair part of the 16,681 spectators had left the ground in disgust before Willie Mason dotted down in the 70th minute for a try that equalled the highest margin between the two sides.

The record, and perhaps the spirits of the Kiwis going into their upcoming four-Test series against Great Britain and France, was finally broken when hooker Cameron Smith took a Sunday stroll from dummy half and dotted down near the posts.

Kangaroos 58
    Tries: Folau (2), Inglis (3), Price, Hayne, Stewart, Bird, Mason, Smith
    Conversions: Smith (7)

Kiwis 0

HT: 26-0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Ahhhhh Chook, we can always rely on a 'Tahs supporter to find great talent in the mungos.

Are they ready to play World Cup yet?

C'mon the

vCash
    Of course! Inglis and Folau don't need to worry about the extra 2 defenders in rugby as they go straight through multiple defenders anyway. Hayne plays for the Eels so you know he's going to be class. Stewart can score a try from anywhere. He may have to were glasses off-field as when he talks he sounds dumber than a tighthead.

Talk about the Storm calling the Force purple, where did Ryan Cross come from pray tell ; 0 ) ?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Isnt Folau off contract soon, ive read that everyone will be chasing his signature when he is. Inglis is alright for a queenslander.......

vCash
    Folau is out of contract at the end of next season i think, but he may be undertaking his Mormon missionary obligations which is two years and thus, missing league for two years.

vCash
    Religion and sport just dont mix..........hence why i'm not religous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    Talk about the Storm calling the Force purple, where did Ryan Cross come from pray tell ; 0 ) ?
    Cool! I'm on to a biggie here....
    Let's count how many league crossovers (previous, current and prospective) the Force and the Waratahs have and see who's standing on the higher ground mate!!!

C'mon the

vCash
    And Cross is too good to be a real Mungo, that's why he wears real blue!

C'mon the

vCash
    Just briefly back to this game...did anyone else actually watch it? Ok so the rugby was boring as hell but what i found hilarious was the camera shot of the guy in a wallabies jumper every time australia scored...bahaha perhaps he's a little confused about which code he follows?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    I watched the game till just after seeing Mark Gasnier get his lights put out by Steve Matai. Was nice to hear Andrew Voss (commentator) give the Kiwi's watching the game some grief "the all blacks got knocked out of the world cup last week and now this" I think the call he made towards the back end of the game. Watching one-way traffic can be a bit boring some times but i throughly enjoyed it yesterday (especialy because Foxsports delayed the cricket untill the end of that rubbish called NASCAR Racing)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    Just briefly back to this game...did anyone else actually watch it? Ok so the rugby was boring as hell but what i found hilarious was the camera shot of the guy in a wallabies jumper every time australia scored...bahaha perhaps he's a little confused about which code he follows?
    Maybe the Camera crew was confused.

Maybe they couldn't find anyone in the crowd who bothered to buy a Kangaroos Jersey

Maybe they couldn't find anyone in the crow wearing a Kangaroos Jersey who wan't pissed out of their head and browneyeing the cameras.

I dunno, I didn't watch.

C'mon the

vCash
    Switched off two tries after the Matai send-off. It was all over

I as all rugby-ed out by then too:......... ARC, NPC,RWC, Pommy Super League, one-sided mungo Test ........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty
    Cool! I'm on to a biggie here....
    Let's count how many league crossovers (previous, current and prospective) the Force and the Waratahs have and see who's standing on the higher ground mate!!!

I'd nearly pay that one but history is on my side, so I can't. Fair effort though, but lost the hookup on the retrieve.

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    I'm pretty happy, It's not often you hook one that big with bait like I was casting.

C'mon the

vCash
    We may give our league cousins a hard time, but surely we need to give the working class something to do on Saturday arvos. If not they could be stealing our cars or worse still, playing Aussie Rules.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast