Thread: What Movember means to me

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

What Movember means to me

What Movember means to me,

You know I gotta admit, 12 months ago, even 6 months ago, Movember was just another Charity Fund Raiser that didn’t mean a whole lot to me. I have never considered myself a selfish person, nor someone that never gives money to charity, I do give money to Charity but it’s the big 3 (as I call it) Legacy, Salvo’s and the Cancer Council. I am not really sure why I have always supported them and not others, but that is what I do.

So why am I apart of Movember this year? That’s a long story, so settle in to your favorite chair we are going on another ride, although I will be straight with you. This one is not going to have a lot of humour in it. So please bare with me, I want to get this off my chest.

I have always considered myself to be a happy go lucky kind of guy. Yes I have a wacky (some would say strange) sense of humour, and I have always had some times when I preferred my own company. But the last couple of years have been tough. I couldn’t put my finger on it. And to be honest I still can’t. But I wasn’t the greatest person to be around. And if you were to ask Mrs. Exile, she wouldn’t say many nice things about me.

Then something happened that didn’t do much to help my state of mind. I lost a mate to Cancer, it wasn’t pretty and I helped him and his family out as best I could. But as it got towards the end – I was unable to go and visit him. To cut a long story short (well this part of it anyway) I never got to say goodbye. And I punished myself for a long time for not making time to go visit him when I should have. Every single member of my family, and his believed that I was being silly to beat up myself for no good reason. But I did. For a very long time.

Soon after my friend passed away I went and spoke with a councellor about how I was feeling, it was this councellors opinion that at a subconscious level I was avoiding seeing my friend because I was uncomfortable seeing him sick. And that is why I avoided him. It was my opinion that this councellor was full of shit and I didn’t go and speak with him again.

I wasn’t getting any better, 12 months later and it was affecting my job. I work in a call centre, I help people and give advice, every now and then I would get a call from someone who lost a loved one and it would personally upset me. Not the best thing for an Aussie bloke trying to give off a “tough guy” aura.

So I bit the bullet and I went and sat with another Councellor. He had me figured out in 15 minutes. He said you have Depression, you need medication, and everything is going to get better. It won’t be fixed at the end of this hour, but soon its going to feel like the weight of the universe has been lifted from your shoulders.

It took 4 months – but he was right. Not everything has been fixed, Mrs. Exile still doesn’t say a lot of nice things about me – she has put up with my crap for a very long time. I have a lot of bridges and fences to repair but if she can be patient with me a little bit longer I can now see a light at the end of the tunnel. My new friend John isn’t the answer for everyone, but there is help out there. Yes I am on monthly appointments with John, and daily medication. My pill makes all the difference in the world, the only problem is that it took 3 months to find the right pill and the right dosage. Once we found it – the universe did lift off my shoulders.

This article isn’t designed to garner pity for me, nor is it meant to explain some of my actions on site in the past - tho it helps. If my story sounds like you, or someone you know? Please go talk to a professional. Movember say that 1 in 6 men have Depression. If you can help I sure would appreciate it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    It's a great cause and hopefully the TWF team will raise many dollars that will go towards helping others in similar situations.Too many times we (as men) feel to manly to ask for directions let alone go to the doctor. I'm glad to hear that your doing better. Good luck Exile and all the TWF team members with your fundraising efforts.

I'm not looking forward to the pics!

vCash
    If I could grow a mo I would... but I guess I'll just donate instead.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Yea i agree with you Jess...unfortunately ( ) i am not some Eastern European genetic freak with excess hair problems ( ) but i will definitely donate!! Thank you for sharing your story with us Exile and glad to see that you're doing better

vCash
    Thanks for sharing X, I hope that explaining your situation has helped you along the road to better things, it takes a lot of guts to do that. Not 'heroic', Clint Eastwood sort of guts but a bravery of a more subtle and important kind I think.

Good on you!

I'm doing Movember again as well, so don't hold back people!

P.S, you chicks can join teams as Mo Sistas ( or Mo Ho's as I like to think of them )

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    I'm totally with you Ex. It's an awesome cause and so important I think. We know so much about women's diseases but there is rarely much focus on men.

I too think growing a mo may be difficult for me but I'll def throw some cash and support behind you boys and if i knew what a Mo Ho (i mean sista) was I'd try that too...?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    if i knew what a Mo Ho (i mean sista) was I'd try that too...?
    If you're the best Ho you'll win a car!

http://www.movember.com/au/mosistas/

vCash
    Good Man X

I'll be mo-ing again this year too.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    thanks for all the support guys and gals.

Movember has started. Can you help?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    That would have taken allot of guts mate, I truly respect you for this. We may have had our ups and downs but we can put them behind us, just for this occasion

Once I have some money, the first place its going is to your account, mate.

I wish you luck in the coming month and forever after.

vCash
    That means you've finally gotten rid of the Obi-Wan Kenobi goatie? Excellent.

Mov the 1st, hope everyone shaved last night.

vCash
    sure did. i havnt got many sponsors yet i think ill have to do some more self promotion.

congrates x on your guts in sharing your story with us. talking about it makes a big difference.

also congrates to all my mo-bros and mo-sistas in taking up the challange

Last edited by RuckNMaul; 08-12-07 at 06:05.
    <>

vCash
    Good work Exile - only real men can be part of Movember thing as one of the main requirements is to grow a mo!

Although as we are real men everybody can get involved whether they are a young fellah like The InnFORCEr or a cool chick like Em-forcer can be involved if they want?!
    Anyway I am up for it despite being young and nubile!

Before Movember 1

Movember 1

Yes I know I'm a handsome bastard! Control yourself girls...
    Just 29 days of mo grow to go!!!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash