Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jones says George should've led

vCash

Jones says George should've led

Jones says George should've led

By Wayne Smith
    October 09, 2007

FORMER Australia coach Eddie Jones said the Wallabies might still be in the World Cup had George Gregan been captain of the side instead of Stirling Mortlock.

Gregan was Jones's captain for almost the entire period he was coach of the Wallabies and together they won and lost just about every major trophy in the game with the exception of the World Cup, although they could hardly have gone closer in 2003.

But while Gregan led the Wallabies during the domestic and Tri-Nations Tests of 2006, John Connolly's first season as Australian coach, he forfeited the leadership role to Mortlock for the end-of-year tour.

Mortlock then shared it with Phil Waugh throughout 2007 until being named sole captain for the cup campaign.

Mortlock's leadership is being questioned following Australia's elimination from the tournament by England, a game in which the Wallabies were tactically and physically outplayed. (I'm not convinced that Mortlock's captaincy had much to do with it)

In many respects it was Mortlock's shortcomings as a goal kicker rather than as a leader that cost the Wallabies. He landed only two goals from five attempts, while England kicker Jonny Wilkinson also had an off day by his standards, but still finished with four goals from six shots. And in the end that made all the difference even though Australia scored the only try of the match. (Possibly a little harsh?)

Jones, however, believes that when the game was hanging in the balance, neither Mortlock nor any of the other leaders in the team - Gregan included - stuck up their hand.

"That's true to an extent," said Jones when asked about the Wallabies' leadership. "George not being captain definitely had an effect on the team because he is by far the best captain, a natural leader.

"Look at the men who have captained World Cup-winning sides, David Kirk (1987), Nick Farr-Jones (1991), Francois Pienaar (1995), John Eales (1999) and Martin Johnson (2003), all outstanding captains. Look at the four teams still left in the World Cup, all have great leadership groups.

"I don't think Stirling has captained winning sides. And at the end of the day you need someone in charge who knows how to win. And George knows."

If that wasn't controversial enough, Jones repeated the call he made before the cup for Australia to look seriously at approaching Springboks coach Jake White to take over the Wallabies.

Almost certainly Kiwi Robbie Deans would have been named as the new coach next month had the All Blacks not been eliminated from the World Cup. Now there is the very real likelihood of Deans being offered the New Zealand coaching job.

If Deans is off the radar, the only remaining candidates are Australian - Wallabies assistant coaches Scott Johnson and John Muggleton, Blues coach David Nucifora and Super 14 coaches Ewen McKenzie and Laurie Fisher.

While most critics see the choice narrowing down to Johnson or Fisher, there has been a push in Nucifora's direction because of his proven, if controversial, record of standing up to player power. And as John O'Neill's autobiography revealed, if there is one thing that the new ARU chief executive believes has held back Australian rugby it is player power out of control.

"They say they want the best person for the job. Well, Jake is a good manager of men, a good tactician and he has got outstanding results on the international stage over the past four years," said Jones, who is White's special adviser for the World Cup.

Meanwhile, Wallabies fullback Chris Latham has confirmed he is weighing up as many as five offers to join British or European clubs, among them Bristol and Ulster. (I'm a little worried about this )

The Australian

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Wow, I didn't realise knees could jerk from such a distance.

That'll start a bit of a frenzy at the ARU won't it.

BTW I don't think it had much to do with Stirling the entire team has questions to answer, but the coach (who didn't make adjustments ad 1/2 time) surely has some questions to answer. It's hard sometimes to see the big picture on the field, and you often rely on the eyes of the coaching staff to have confidence in the plan. The plan was a blatant failure after 20 minutes on Saturday, and the water boys should have been sent out with lists of instructions as soon as a new plan was formulated. I don't think a new plan was ever formulated.

C'mon the

vCash
    I don't think it would have made a huge difference as GIGST just pointed out, the whole team had problems on the night.

But I really would have loved to have seen him lead the boys... one last time.

I made Happy sad...

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Flamethrower says Jones should crawl back under his rock.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I'm with Flamethrower, crawl back under your rock.

vCash
    motion seconded.

hes still sour about loosing coaching job.

vCash
    Carried.

With only few months left in the year, Growden's claim to the Cock of the Year award no longer seems certain...

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    O'Niell wants it as well.

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 09-10-07 at 21:44.

vCash
    STFU Eddie, you got sacked as Aussie coach remember. I'm pretty sure that's coz we're all sick of your shit!

C'mon the

vCash
    cheers for correcting my spelling mistake there gerry. was half asleep at the computer.

vCash
    why is eddie still in the media he is a has been fall of the face of the earth can you

he says these dumb comments just so he can be in the media

BBUUUGGGERRRRR OOFFFFFF

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    hey main......welcome back

vCash
    Agreed. STFU Eddie you crap on about how dodgy our forwards are, YOUR FAULT, we're still cleaning up your mess ya knob

vCash
    y thankyou trav gerry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty
    STFU Eddie, you got sacked as Aussie coach remember. I'm pretty sure that's coz we're all sick of your shit!
    Yeah Eddie, you suck. Connolly was so much smarter than you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast