Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Australia's new coach?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    get jones in for 12 months, fire every useless shit box employee then get white in to start afresh!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting take from Planet-Rugby
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rugby`s coaching merry-go-round
    Thursday 01st November 2007

At the end of the World Cup, there were the big ten. The Six Nations, the Tri-Nations, and the rugby 'island' of Argentina.

There was also Fiji and Tonga, but given their respective achievements over the past few months, it is inconceivable that either of those should come under discussion in this column.

Fringe players have come and gone in the World Cup teams over the past few years, but the core squads of all of these teams have remained the same. Countless players from this World Cup will never grace that stage again. Pichot, Pelous, Dallaglio, Thomas, Gregan, Larkham, Oliver, Troncon, O'Connell, Murray...

The coaching circuit, also, has been devoid of turbulence. In many instances off the pitch as well as on it, the end of France 2007 has been the end of an era. Bernard Laporte has shuffled off after eight years, Italy's resurgence under Pierre Berbizier - disappointing World Cup notwithstanding - is over, Graham Henry's All Blacks are almost certainly now legend, Jake White's political resistance has been quashed.

So what next for these people? And indeed, who could replace them? It's possibly been the least-discussed, yet most intriguing, subject in the rugby world since John Smit hoisted 'Bill' not so many days ago.

Rugby has become more tactical than it used to be. Styles of play are more distinct from each other and homogenous within themselves. These days, a coach walks from team to team, often with his own style of how to play the game, and when he finds a club or national squad with enough players to fit in right, you watch the figures in the win column start rising.

It's been Jake White's blessing. White had a disproportionate number of monsters in his South Africa side, with few artisans outside them. White's style suited it perfectly: bully and plunder. South Africa have, for much of the last four years, ground teams down before the scarce artizans - usually Du Preez or Habana - add the gloss finish to the undercoat near the end.

Apparently now, White has the choice between England or Australia. Australia? Australia with their feeble forwards and frail fly-half? Or England, with their steady production line of square-headed cyborgs?

It is England, and England's style, that suits Jake White best. Assuming Brian Ashton is relieved of his duties, and there is little reason to think not at the moment, despite a World Cup final appearance, surely Jake White will choose the place where his style fits (and yes, where the money is better too).

What about Australia? Perhaps it doesn't matter so much who takes the job on, as long as the new incumbent retains Scott Johnson. Johnson is no head coach, as Wales found out. He operates better on the periphery. But give him that freedom to coach his skills with a like-minded head to incorporate them into the tactics - say, David Nucifora for example, and Australia could break free of their shortcomings, much in the way that Wales did in 2005.

Wales? They desperately need someone pragmatic, untouchable to the local hacks who treat the rugby team so shamefully, and with the tactical nous of a Grand Master. Eddie Jones is heading quietly back to Saracens, having laid the ghosts of World Cup 2003 to rest. Nobody should be in any doubt as to Jones' impression on the Bok team. The sudden improvement in discipline, the sudden quickness and organisation at the breakdown, the resilience to waves of pressure... Jones can coax that out of many a team. All three matters are high on the list of Wales' shortcomings. Warren Gatland is in similar mould - but he may not endear himself to the Welsh public as Jones would - nothing to do with the name either!

Then there is the likely departure of Graham Henry from New Zealand. But he has a tailor-made successor in Robbie Deans. Nick Mallett is tactically astute enough to be able to develop Italy's home-growns, and may even be belligerent enough to stop scouting for foreigners with bare droplets of Italian blood.

It remains to be seen what Marc Lièvremont will do with France - out of all the teams, that is the one where the personnel and identity will change the most over the next 12 months. But his performance in bringing Dax back into the Top 14 against quite significant odds ought to be encouraging to the French public, and there is no doubting his passion.

Argentina are most at risk, status-wise, having lost their talisman coach to Leicester and captain to retirement. A generation of great players has passed on with them. But perhaps now is the time for the Pumas to look outside their own borders for leadership, to someone who can bring the sophistication to the national side that could see future teams with the quality of this year's go all the way. The talent is there in spades, as the June Tests in South America frequently confirm. So they need a developer and a nurturer... perhaps Steve Hansen? Perhaps John Connolly also. Both old heads, both adept at bringing on the nippers in the team and carefully, patiently, and calmly creating settled consistency. Connolly might suit better, he has been round the block a few more times.

Scotland are in safe hands under Frank Hadden, and despite the World Cup disaster, the IRU is not likely to be getting shot of Eddie O'Sullivan any time soon, certainly not before the Six Nations anyway.

So here is a little synopsis of who might go/has gone where in the big ten over the next few months. All very intriguing, but the saddest by-product of it all will undoubtedly be in South Africa. There is nobody I know of who could do that job.

England: Brian Ashton out, Jake White in?
    Wales: Gareth Jenkins out, Eddie Jones in?
    Scotland: Frank Hadden, no change.
    Ireland: Eddie O'Sullivan, no change.
    France: Bernard Laporte out, Marc Lièvremont in.
    Italy: Pierre Berbizier out, Nick Mallett in.
    Australia: John Connolly out, David Nucifora in?
    New Zealand: Graham Henry out, Robbie Deans in?
    Argentina: Marcelo Loffreda out, John Connolly in?
    South Africa: Jake White out, political puppet in.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    That is the very sad thing about the whole article

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I know the perfect guy...

vCash
    Could be sad for Sth African rugby as well. I hate it when politics and sport mix

vCash

White out of Wallabies running

White out of Wallabies running

November 02, 2007

SOUTH Africa's World Cup-winning rugby coach Jake White is not interested in taking the helm of the Australian or Welsh sides after he steps down next month, according to his agent.

”The Bok coaching matter has now been finalised and sorted out and all Jake wants to do now is take some time out,'' Craig Livingstone told Friday's edition of The Star newspaper.

”He's made no decision on his future, but I can confirm he's definitely not applying for the Wallabies job. He's also unlikely to pursue a career with Wales.''

The Australian Rugby Union's high-performance manager Pat Howard said earlier this week that Livingstone had contacted him on White's behalf last week in connection with the vacant Wallabies post but had heard nothing further.

Wales are also looking for a new coach to replace Gareth Jenkins who was sacked after the principality failed to make the World Cup quarter-finals.

White announced on Wednesday that he would be leaving the Springboks after his contract expires at the end of the year, angry that his bosses at the South African Rugby Union expected him to re-apply for his job.

The 43-year-old has also been linked with the England coach role amid continuing uncertainty about the future of incumbent Brian Ashton who steered his team to the final against South Africa.

Livingstone said that White was in no rush to land a new job and was busy finalising a book which is expected to reveal some of the tensions with his employers.

Agence France-Presse

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    SA Rugby Heirarchy need to have a look at themselves. Put aside the fact they want a new puppet (sorry, coach). They have showed no respect at all, promoting the fact they have a short list for the job the day SA boys wind up their victory tour - nice way to say, thanks Jake, but we don't need you now that we've got Bill. Jake White has some very good reasons to be pissed and I hope he comes back to haunt them the next time round!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    get jones in for 12 months, fire every useless shit box employee then get white in to start afresh!
    Just to get Jones involved in at ARU level will be enough to get something happening.

vCash
    Sorry guys, have to play the devil's advocate here.

I went to SA on a uni rugby tour back in 1995 (tour was during the World Cup). Our host team, a renowned university in J'Burg, featured no black students (and we probably played their A,B and C teams respectively in one game) and further more, the few black students that came down to watch the game actually cheered us on (being a 98% black african team from Kenya) and hoped we would hammer their "class mates" (for the record, they were disappointed).

Four years later, in 1999, my club team from Kenya went on tour to Pretoria, South Africa. Again no black africans represented in the 3 games we played (and, might I add, at club level). Further more, we watched our host's junior teams train (and there were plenty of players) and I didn't see any black players, nor any black supporters.

Its been 8 years since I last visited SA, and 13 years since the black majority took control, yet the 2007 South African world cup 1st fifteen had two players of "colour"..13%. Black South Africans make up approx 80% of the population, white South Africans approx 10%, an obvious disparity.

I'm sure many will argue that the players simply aren't up to the same skill level hence the low representation. I'll counter argue that the if the system does not encourage participation then the end result will be low representation.

The long term survival of the game hinges on the participation and support of the majority black population sooner rather than later. Who knows, a drastic measure such as the quota system just might achieve this.

My humble 2 cents are open to debate..

Last edited by KenyaQuin; 02-11-07 at 22:49.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting points thanks KQ, is always "easy" for us who aren't exposed to judge from the comfort of our homes.
    I sort of see two separate issues though, encouraging development v selection on merit.
    In my observation success breeds participation and the RWC win by the Boks will have huge impact on player recruitment in all aspects of the SA demographic.
    Likewise the deserved plaudits going to Habana will have far greater impact than any tokenistic quota system.
    I have no problem seeing the increased involvement from the black and coloured communities, I do however have more problem with National representation being politicised.
    It makes as much sense as saying to help development of the minor States the Wallabies structure must include:
    NSW 3
    Qld 3
    WA 3
    ACT 2
    Vic 1
    SA 1
    Tas 1
    NT 1

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash

Johnson withdraws from Wallabies race

Johnson withdraws from Wallabies race

November 09, 2007

AUSTRALIA attack coach Scott Johnson has officially withdrawn from the race to succeed John Connolly as Australia's next head coach.

Johnson was one of six candidates scheduled to be interviewed, but today confirmed he was withdrawing from the interview process.

"It's a personal decision and we respect that," Australian Rugby Union (ARU) high performance unit manager Pat Howard said.

"The process will continue with the (other) five and a recommendation will be made out of that," Howard added.

New South Wales Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie was the first man to be interviewed by the five-man selection panel today.

McKenzie arrived at ARU headquarters in Sydney around 30 minutes prior to his 9.30am (AEDT) interview.

Wallabies defence coach John Muggleton has also arrived for his interview, scheduled for 11am.

The other candidates to be interviewed later are Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher, former Wallabies coach and media personality Alan Jones and early favourite, Blues and former Brumbies Super title-winner David Nucifora.

The selection panel consists of Howard, ARU board members and former Wallaby locks Rod McCall and Mark Connors, former Wallabies captain Michael Hawker and former Brumbies captain and ARU high performance unit general manager Brett Robinson.

ARU chief executive John O'Neill isn't part of the interviewing panel as he is still recovering from surgery on a pinched nerve in his neck.

The selection panel will make a recommendation to the full ARU board which will sit next Friday.

AAP

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    McKenzie first to face the music

9/11/2007 12:12:29 PM
    Steve Orme at ARU headquarters
    Sportal

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie has emerged from a gruelling 90-minute interview for the prestigious role of Wallabies head coach satisfied he presented a strong case.

McKenzie was the first of five candidates in the running to replace John Connolly to front a five-man panel headed by Wallabies high performance unit manager Pat Howard on Friday.

John Muggleton, Laurie Fisher, David Nucifora and radio personality Alan Jones are also in the running, while current Wallabies assistant coach Scott Johnson withdrew from the race on Thursday citing personal reasons.

Meanwhile, hospitalised ARU CEO and Managing Director John O'Neill will be forced to listen to recordings of the interviews after undergoing surgery to repair pinched nerves in his neck earlier this week.

"For me it was a big occasion because this is sort of near and dear to me the opportunity, so I wouldn't say I slept very much last night," McKenzie told the assembled media scrum.

"When you sit there dreaming about how you're going to answer questions it's not such a great night."

"I got to present what I wanted to present, they asked a lot of questions they wanted to ask and I was comfortable with how that went."

When asked to rate his chances in relation to the other applicants McKenzie professed his uncertainty.

"I've got no idea and I'm not in the other interviews," he said.

"I don't know and I'm not sure of the criteria and I'm not sure what's going to matter in the end but they asked me a lot of specific questions and I felt I answered them pretty well."

But the former Wallabies assistant coach was far more decisive when asked what he would offer if appointed.

"I understand the role. I've been very close to that position, I've looked at the position from many different directions," he said.

"I think I understand Australian rugby, I think I understand the players so I think I know where the problems are and where they need to be fixed."

"I don't think these are insurmountable issues either it just needs someone to prioritise them and get on with it."

"Implementation for me has been something that I think I've done pretty well at the Waratahs - strategy is one thing implementing is another and I think I'm a lot better at implementing," he said.

The afternoon session will see Fisher, Jones and Nucifora state their cases.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Wallabies coaching race gets catty
    By GLENN JACKSON - RugbyHeaven | Saturday, 10 November 2007
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4268949a10295.html

The race for the Wallabies coaching job has turned catty, with bickering between candidates John Muggleton and Alan Jones overshadowing the ARU's day of interviews in the search for John Connolly's successor.

Wallabies assistant Scott Johnson pulled out of the process and it emerged the job may not be filled until December - making it more likely that New Zealander Robbie Deans may re-emerge as a leading candidate.

Muggleton claimed he had an advantage over broadcaster Jones because he had "coached this century". Despite maintaining there should be no "sour grapes" about the eventual appointment, Muggleton questioned Jones's coaching credentials, claiming his methods - so successful in winning the grand slam in 1984 - would be out of date in the modern era.

He also questioned whether Mark Ella, arguably Australia's greatest ever Wallabies player, would be successful in the current game. "Lots of things have changed [since Jones last coached]," Muggleton said. "Blokes like me have come along and made defence pretty hard to get through.

"There's no gaps to run through now against the top nations. You have to actually open a hole. If you watch a lot of Mark Ella's tries, he ran through gaps created on the outside and just straightened up. I would hope that that sort of thing wouldn't happen to us, and it doesn't happen to us. If a bloke shows it and straightens up, he gets smashed."

Jones responded with good humour, saying: "If I worried about the comments other people make about me, I would have been over The Gap 20 years ago. You roll with the punches."

But he admitted there might be some bitterness from the other potential coaches.

"Look, I can understand that there may well be … I understand that I'm a bit of an 11th-hour man, Johnny-come-lately …" he said. "I can understand that most people have their eye on this prize, but this is not a personal fiefdom we're seeking here. This is a high responsibility to the wellbeing of Australian rugby where you have to put self-interest aside."

The fact that Muggleton, the Wallabies defensive coach, might not be required under the stewardship of Jones may have led to some of the hostility. Jones was unrepentant, continuing to express a desire to trim the coaching staff significantly.

"If all of us here now decided that we were going to cook on the barbecue tonight, it'd take us half an hour to decide whether we'd have steak or sausages," he said. "The head bloke out there has got to be out there and calling the shots. None of us exist, other than to advance the wellbeing of the game."

David Nucifora, the Auckland coach, had the daunting task of following Jones, saying: "I didn't have to wake them up … after Alan had been in there."

Asked about his inglorious exit from the ACT in 2004, in which several Brumbies players contributed to his demise, Nucifora said: "It's usually raised most places I go, but it wasn't raised in any direct way. You place yourself in situations and you look back on things and how you've progressed … we had a brief discussion about how you handle those things. [But] I've always just called things as I've seen them."

Despite being over the other side of the Tasman, Nucifora admitted he was "disappointed" about the state of Australian rugby in recent years.

There was drama before the first interview, with Johnson withdrawing from the race, the ARU's high performance unit general manager Pat Howard saying: "It's a personal decision, and we respect that."

Then came the revelation that the decision was likely to be delayed significantly because of ARU CEO John O'Neill's problems with a neck ailment. Part of the six-man panel to help choose the coach, O'Neill yesterday was still in hospital and will study recordings of the interviews.

The ARU board, of which O'Neill is a member, was to decide on a coach next Friday, but O'Neill may not be back at work until December. It is unlikely a decision will be made without the input of the figurehead.

There is a silver lining, however. The decision may now be made after the All Blacks coaching position is confirmed, and if Deans is not appointed, the odds will shorten significantly on him becoming the first foreigner to coach the Wallabies.

Deans was not interviewed yesterday, with only Jones, Muggleton, Ewen McKenzie, Laurie Fisher and favourite Nucifora fronting the panel of Howard, Michael Hawker, Rod McCall, Brett Robinson and Mark Connors.

Jones arrived wearing a blue suit and gold tie and trim, with five minutes to spare, and admitted it had been a "long while" since he had been that side of a job interview.

Muggleton still said he would "support the bloke who they pick", but conceded it was unlikely to be him: "I was 17-1 and there were two blokes in front of me who didn't apply for the job … all you can do is put your hand up."

McKenzie, the Waratahs coach who admitted a sleepless night before his first-up interview, said his major selling point was the fact he "understands the role - I think I understand Australian rugby, I think I understand the players, and I think I know a lot of the solutions and where the problems are and where they need to be fixed".

Fisher, meanwhile, admitted he was "not confident".

"I'm just a strong believer in the markets and I was $21 in the morning," he said. "I know Efficient won the [Melbourne] Cup, but can it happen twice in as week? I don't know. I'm a long shot."

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I believe AJ (not AJ Whalley)would be an OK selection, but hope nuciofora gets the nod...He knows the game pretty well and was successful at the brumbies before he was unceremoniously booted out the gate...I know a lot of people believe AJ is past it and wouldn't be able to adapt to the new style of game, but i reckon he will reinforce the skillsbase of all players and has the sense to accept advice where necessary to improve certain areas....If he was to receive the nod, he would be wise to consider Muggleton staying on as defence is definately his forte', actually, in any case he should be left in charge of that area, he is that good in coaching the defence...

Last edited by frontrow; 10-11-07 at 09:21. Reason: possible AJ Whalley references
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The trouble with Alan Jones is he is a) out of touch, b) stating he wants total control and c) extremely abrasive and divisive.
    I honestly can't see how his appointment would be a step forward.
    If the right head coach was appointed I can see him in a consultancy role offering the small amount of point of difference he has but really, I think modern rugby has moved past 1984.
    I don't support Muggleton for the role either, but he is correct in his statement above and anyone who is appointed would be foolish not to have him as an Assistant as Australia's defensive record with him in the coaching team speaks for itself.
    I'm still clinging on to the hope that Deanes will become available but, out of those interviewed I would go for Nucifora as the best of a bad bunch who all have state level baggage that will not go away after their appointment.
    I honestly don't see this group as a very high standard field for such a prestigious position.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast