Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Australia re-lives nightmare

vCash

Australia re-lives nightmare

bugger eh?

that pretty much sums it up...

i mean SHIT...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Jehna; 07-10-07 at 10:13.

vCash

Australia Loss to English

Australia out of the World cup!!!!!!!! In case you didn't understand that....AUSTRALIA OUT OF THE WORLD CUP!!!!!!!! Australia first on the score board making it 3-0 but Wilkinson's boot putting the English in front 6-3 but in the 33rd minute Australia finally got across the line when Barnes set up Tuqiri to score a 5 pointer and with Mortlock adding the extras Australia went to the break 10-6.

Once again Wilkinson smashing our plan to bring back bill to pieces....
    Final score 12-10 to the English

vCash
    Yep, exactly surely this isn't hapening

vCash
    there are no words...

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    gutted!

vCash
    I wouldn't say Wilko smashed our plan this time... I think we were our own worst enemy.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    fair point jess, the post mortem begins.........

vCash
    *sigh* I've just done my big rant about the coverage in another post... as for deconstructing the game... I think that needs to wait until tomorrow when i've had a couple of hours sleep (after watching the kiwi vs frogs game) and it doesn't hurt so bad.

Here's hoping I'll wake up and it was all a bad dream...

I made Happy sad...

Prospect
    vCash

Thank goodness

After reading the frankly childish and sometimes offensive comments that this forum has had prior to the England game. Add to that O'neills outrageous comments (How can he sit on the IRB board now without looking like a fool) and all I can say is we deserved to get beaten.

Well done England, you deserved it as you played the better game,

Just to let any poms out there know we are not all the same

vCash

From Jim Morton in Marseille, France
    October 07, 2007

AUSTRALIA'S worst nightmares came to fruition as England five-eighth Jonny Wilkinson kicked the Wallabies out of the Rugby World Cup at Stade Velodrome in Marseille, France this morning.

Australia failed to cope with the rugged England pack at Marseille's "bull ring" as Wilkinson, who is now the leading points scorer in Rugby World Cup history, scored all England's points with four penalty goals to record a famous 12-10 quarter-final victory.

The Wallabies scored the only try of the match - through Lote Tuqiri - to claim a 10-6 half-time lead, but that was little consolation for coach John Connolly as the loss equalled Australia's poorest result at a World Cup.
    England also sent Australia packing at the quarter-final stage in 1995, at Cape Town.

For the eight members of the Wallabies team that lost the 2003 final 20-17 to England, after extra-time, the defeat today was even more painful.
    Veteran halfback George Gregan, who had an unhappy time at the base of a fiercely contested ruck, has now played his last Test, while defeat meant long-time halves partner Stephen Larkham wouldn't get the chance to return from injury.

Australia captain Stirling Mortlock said that England had deserved its victory. "It was a very tight, physical battle," he said. "Unfortunately, I missed a couple of goals, which I wasn't happy about. "It was a very stop-start affair today. "Full credit to the way England played today."

England coach Brian Ashton had brought in the big guns, and his decision to target Australia's set pieces paid off with the Wallabies' scrum under incredible pressure every time it was set.

Indeed, Irish referee Alain Rolland had problems keeping the front rows from collapsing, as they did in all but one of the 14 scrums during the match.

The imposing figure of man of the match Andy Sheridan, who famously wreaked havoc on the Australian scrum when he last played the Wallabies two years ago, caused opposite number Guy Shepherdson some real problems.

"Our scrummaging and driving game came to fore," Ashton beamed.
    "To say it was magnificent would be an understatement. "We knew the scrum would be a key area. We knew, too, that the lineout, and the ability to vary it, was important to keep the opposition thinking."

Sheridan and lock Simon Shaw were also conspicuous by their presence against a tiring Wallabies defence that saw a raft of replacements in the final quarter.

"One of most pleasing things was the contesting of the breakdowns," Ashton said. "We've said all week that that was one area we were not happy with over the course of any particular game. "We thought we'd have opportunities this week, and we did."

England skipper Phil Vickery praised his side for showing "belief and some old-fashioned guts", admitting that the "Wallabies have made a massive improvement in tight play".

He also acknowledged the difficulties faced by Rolland, a former Ireland scrum-half, in refereeing that area of the game.

"Scrum time is very difficult for referees," Vickery said. "There were two teams who wanted to scrummage. "Sometimes it's the toss of a coin, but in all fairness to Alain, he refereed it well. As a former scrum-half, he has some idea of some of the antics that go on. "As the game went on, he realised our pack of forwards more genuinely wanted to scrummage more."
    Connolly admitted: "They cleaned us out at the breakdown. Vickery is a wonderful prop and we know how good Sheridan is. Their defence was very good. They slowed the ball down very well."

The match started so differently for Australia, with the Wallabies begining well and having three penalty attempts in the first 12 minutes before England got rolling with a strong passage of play, switching angles and forwards driving the ball downfield.

Wilkinson broke the Rugby World Cup points-scoring record of 227 points, held by Scotland's Gavin Hastings, with his second penalty goal to kick England to a 6-3 lead in the 26th-minute after Mortlock's seventh-minute penalty.

England took the game to the Wallabies, and went close to scoring on a couple of occasions before Mike Catt lost the ball for Matt Giteau to clear the danger.

The first scrum came after 11 minutes, and the set peice broke up with punches flying after three collapses. Rolland whistled a penalty to the Australians.

The Wallabies looked rattled for a time, with passes from Gregan and Barnes going astray under grinding England pressure.

But the Australians hit back seven minutes before half-time when, after six phases, they flung the ball along the backs where Giteau and Mortlock made an opening for Tuqiri to break his try-scoring drought in the right corner.

Tuqiri had not scored a Test try since crossing for a brace against Fiji in Perth on June 9.

Mortlock's conversion pushed the Wallabies out to a 10-6 half-time lead, but England had Australia under pressure straight after the break, with the Australian scrum coming under serious examination 10 metres out from its try line.

England had nine phases before the Wallabies conceded a penalty for Wilkinson to land his third and put his team within one point after 53 minutes.

A wayward Gregan pass then put the Australians under pressure, with Tuqiri and Barnes scrambling to hold possession, but England got a turnover and then was awarded an attacking scrum close to the Wallabies' try line.
    Rocky Elsom conceded a penalty for Wiklinson to put England in front for the second time 12-10 on the hour.

Australia's nerves was jangling as Barnes missed a long-range drop goal. Another Gregan error in a ruck gave Wilkinson another shot at penalty but his attempt was wide with six minutes left.

Mortlock had a chance to get Australia out of jail with a 47-metre penalty goal to win the match with two minutes to play, but he hooked it left.

- with Agence France-Presse and Reuters

AAP

From Jim Morton in Marseille, France
    October 07, 2007
    AUSTRALIA coach John Connolly lamented Australia's "worst performance" of the Rugby World Cup after defending champion England pulled off a massive quarter-final upset at Stade Velodrome in Marseille overnight.

"It was our worst performance (of the tournament)," Connolly said. "England's scrum got into strides. England controlled the breakdown really strongly and from that we never got any momentum. "The game never really got off the ground. England didn't really looked like scoring.

"We looked dangerous at times but at no stage did we control the breakdown in any shape or form. "A lot of the ball we got was on the back foot, and when we did get a bit ball of ball on the front foot we looked dangerous."

Australia also failed to cope with the intense pressure on a hot day in front of 59,102 spectators at Marseille's famed 'bull ring'. "We lost a fair bit of composure at times," Connolly admitted. "We had chances to do things and we were flustered and made uncharacteristic errors, things that we pride ourselves on not doing."

Agence France-Presse

7/10/2007 1:02:22 AM
    Paul Newman

Australia's Rugby World Cup dream has come to an end again at the hands of Jonny Wilkinson, this time in a 10-12 quarter-final loss to England at the Stade Velodrome in Marseille.

The Wallabies were expected to avenge their loss to England in the 2003 World Cup final in Sydney, but rarely looked likely with a sluggish performance against a tenacious English side.

Tears flowed from the Australian players after full time as they came to grips with the result.

It is the second time in Rugby World Cup history that England has eliminated Australia at the quarter-final stage, the first coming in 1995 in South Africa, when flyhalf Rob Andrew, ended the Wallabies' tournament.

Twelve years later, four penalty goals from flyhalf Jonny Wilkinson were enough to sink the Australians, despite Lote Tuqiri scoring the only try of the match.

Wallabies coach John Connolly said poor performance at the breakdown and the scrum cost his side dearly.

Australia looked the better side in the opening minutes, with skipper Stirling Mortlock opening the scoring with a penalty goal from his second attempt, in the sixth minute.

Mortlock missed another attempt at goal, Wilkinson was on the mark, landing his first two to give the English a 6-3 advantage with 26 minutes gone, which they held until the break.

The Australians could have been in further trouble if Wilkinson's accuracy had have remained, but the No.10 missed another two penalty goal attempts.

His inaccuracy cost the English, as the Australians managed a spirited passage which resulted in Tuqiri crawling over the line in the 33rd minute for the first, and only, try.

The Wallaby forwards had surged towards the line before the ball was spun wide. Mortlock attacked before Berrick Barnes, at acting half, sent the ball to Tuqiri on the blindside who brushed off an attempted tackle from Josh Lewsey and scored.

Mortlock added the conversion to give the Australians a 10-6 lead at half-time.

England missed a golden opportunity eight minutes after returning to the field, when inside centre Mike Catt dropped the ball in front of the Australian goal posts.

The defending World Cup champions piled the pressure on the Wallabies for the next three minutes and won a penalty which Wilkinson slotted over to take the score to 10-9.

Wilkinson put the English ahead again, 12-10, with a penalty goal after Australian number eight Cliff Palu was caught offside as the English scrum tried to drive over the goal line.

He could have added to the lead with six minutes remaining, but was unsuccessful with yet another penalty goal attempt.

The Australians continued to attack, and Mortlock could have stolen the win with a penalty goal kick from 48 metres with two minutes remaining, but it sailed wide.

The result gives English veteran Jason Robinson a chance for at least one more match in his international career, but it was a disappointing end for veteran Wallaby George Gregan, who retires after 139 appearances in the yellow and green jersey.

England 12

Penalty goals: Wilkinson 4

Australia 10

Try: Tuqiri
    Conversion: Mortlock
    Penalty goal: Mortlock

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Ugh...I can't remember the last time I felt so crushed... Seeing Gits collapse to his knees and Larkham crying just totally broke my heart I actually cried

God...i don't even know what to say...except that i'm going to have the worst hangover when i get up and i have no idea what i'm doing up posting this now!

CRAP! So gutted!

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugby191
    Australia out of the World cup!!!!!!!! In case you didn't understand that....AUSTRALIA OUT OF THE WORLD CUP!!!!!!!! Australia first on the score board making it 3-0 but Wilkinson's boot putting the English in front 6-3 but in the 33rd minute Australia finally got across the line when Barnes set up Tuqiri to score a 5 pointer and with Mortlock adding the extras Australia went to the break 10-6.

Once again Wilkinson smashing our plan to bring back bill to pieces....
    Final score 12-10 to the English
    Kiwis are gone too, 20-18...

Well, they had a good few hours to put crap on us.

vCash
    Bloody useless Aussies - could you not beat the grandads? I'm gutted.

Caley 80 please.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    Kiwis are gone too, 20-18...

Well, they had a good few hours to put crap on us.
    Yeah but now they have to eat all that crap up. And let me tell you crap tastes like shit.

vCash
    I guess we'll be seeing Luke posting again!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast