Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Giteau pays homage to the Greatness that is Lote

vCash

Giteau pays homage to the Greatness that is Lote

Giteau knows the Dark Shark rules the...pond.

Lote tries his best

Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Matt Giteau

October 06, 2007 12:00am

IT IS time to mount a defence in the case of Lote Tuqiri and the missing tries.

My dreadlocked mate out on the wing has been in the spotlight for a lack of five-pointers throughout the season and, in particular, here at the World Cup in France.

But with due respect to the legal profession, there is no need for a Queen's Counsel to help him beat the rap.

From the Wallabies perspective, we have no worries whatsoever that Lote has yet to break his drought four games into the tournament and ahead of tonight's quarter-final with England.

The reason is simple. We know what the Dark Shark brings to this team.[EDIT: He's the best, as everyone knows]

To suggest he is not earning his keep simply because his try-count is down overlooks some pretty important evidence - he has not had a lot of opportunities, is heavily marked, yet still makes a huge impact every time we get out on the field.

Count his line-breaks last week when he was playing in the centres against Canada. He threw the final pass for three tries.

Go back to the Super 14 series. He only scored one try but a compelling stack of statistics revealed his true value to the Waratahs.

He carried the ball more and beat more defenders than any other winger in the tournament.

These are the qualities that make him a guy everyone in this squad wants alongside them, especially now we've reached the business end of the World Cup.

He has a physical presence and the ability to get us across the advantage line every time the ball hits his hands.

Other teams know the threat he poses. That's why they're like moths to the flame whenever we move the play in his direction.

Obviously Lote wants to be scoring tries. He could have got one against Fiji when he loomed up unmarked on my outside.

But, hey, there was a metre for me to travel, and no one blocking my path.

There was no way I was going to offload and give him the soft touchdown.

It's not the way this team works. The top priority is winning the match. The names on the score sheet are unimportant because the end result is what really matters.

By the same token, you can tell Lote is not exactly over the moon about his current try-starved position (which we only remind him of occasionally).

He's a proud and passionate bloke. He wants a piece of the action.

But what people have to realise is that his contribution to the Wallabies extends well beyond placing the ball over the line. He is creating the chances for other blokes to do that, and a flood of tries for him are surely not too far away.

With any luck the dam wall will burst tonight in what is a massive and sudden-death game for us.

There has been plenty of hype in the build-up, and a media focus that has surprised some of the newer players in the squad.

But we're focused and ready.

We know what England will bring to the table. It won't be pretty but it will be confrontational.

Our forwards, especially, are looking forward to the challenge of taking on the England pack.

There has been so much said about what happened to the scrum two years ago. But this is a different time, a different team.

We're confident we have all we need to bring down the defending champions - and that includes Lote out on his wing, just waiting for the chance to strike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Trust you to find an article in Lote's favour, Chook!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Had to scour the interwebby with a fine tooth comb for hours actually.

Don't let me down Lote!!!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    That Gits is a funny bastard. What a great way to pull the piss out of Lote

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    its no use chook they will still bag him.

but its ok because im sure they know more about lote then giteau does

vCash
    He's greedy with the ball and doesn't trust the other players - there is no defence

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Matt Giteau stakes his first genuine claim as Wallabies captain, the ability to make Lote's season seem not to be an abject failure is a definite point in his favour. If we happen to lose the World Cup while he's captain, he would probably be able to make us feel good about it.

BTW it's painfully obvious that "The names on the score sheet are unimportant" because Drew Mitchell's isn't in the starting lineup.

C'mon the

vCash
    I am starting to feel sorry for Lote. I wonder which Wallaby the media will target next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmaag
    I am starting to feel sorry for Lote. I wonder which Wallaby the media will target next year.
    Tahu!!!

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    there were certain sections of the crowd at bordeaux that were booing lote!! and his inability to pass.

vCash
    The great ones always get booed by the crowd. They are unwashed and unenlightened. Reeking of garlic and cheap red.

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    They are unwashed and unenlightened. Reeking of garlic and cheap red.
    ...and that was the wallabies supporters!!

vCash
    But with due respect to the legal profession, there is no need for a Queen's Counsel to help him beat the rap.
    B*stard... I'm totally disowning him for this crack...

Ugh...well with all due respect to Gits, firstly I don't really care how many times Tuqiri broke the line last week...it makes little difference if he doesn't capitalise on the breaks. Secondly, so he freaking well should break through Canada's defence...i could break through their damn forward pack. Thirdly, its really great to know he can pass the ball to others (well on occasion) but what difference does that make if he's playing on the wing? Is he going to pass to the touchie? Perhaps he should...as far as i know the touchie's have scored as many tries as he has this world cup...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    The great ones always get booed by the crowd. They are unwashed and unenlightened. Reeking of garlic and cheap red.
    I never knew Lote liked garlic

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Tahu!!!

Chook, how do you reckon he is going to go? I haven't been able to watch a lot of league this year. I have read that he is a good hard runner, and the league writers are a bit off him leaving the 13 man game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast