Thread: 'Straya vs Poms: LETS GET IT ON

vCash

'Straya vs Poms: LETS GET IT ON

So here we are, four years on from that glitch in the order of the universe, and the stage is set for either some serious payback, or some serious egg on face. In rugby, this has got to be the ultimate in North/South grudge matches.

Sure, you've got the fact that we've both nicked Bill from each other - us in 91, them in 03, Campo, the B teams the gutless turd that is the ERFU keeps sending down and we keep caning, our front row stuffing at Twickers and Austin Healy (the dickhead, not the car).

But it goes deeper than just rugby for both sides; our recent twatting of them in every sport other than running away (athletics) - a notable exception being a certain Ashes series (another glitch in the space-time continuum) - but then also Bodyline, Gallipoli, Singapore, Gough Whitlam and that whole convict/colony thing. I'm not saying these are all necessarily justified or correct, but they all go into a creating a depth of feeling that's beyond sport, unlike if Australia goes on to play NZ, SA or France.

Which is why it's unsurprising that the war of words has started to ratchet up a notch or ten on the run up to next Saturday. The aforementioned penisaurus, Austin Healy, has demanded that John O'Neill be fined for bringing the game into disrepute;

"For the chief executive of a rugby union to say that about another nation undoubtedly brings the game into disrepute. Get him in the dock. Fine and sanction him for slagging off the mother country."

In response, far from de-escalating the war of words, JO'n has made himself that little bit clearer:

"All I'm doing is stating the bleeding obvious.

"No one likes England.

"If they want further proof, how do they think France won the right to host this World Cup?

"It's simple. No one would vote for England, and they were the only other country in the running.

"The only votes England could be assured of back then were their own.

"Sadly, this is all a by-product of their born-to-rule mentality.

"It's been there for a long time now and nothing has changed."

In for a penny, in for a pound eh John? And now LT has got in the act, effectively pasting every England player who's not Jason Robinson;

"[Robinson] is probably their main attacking weapon and probably - and I don't like to say it - but probably the only world-class back that they have playing in form at the moment, or was playing in form,"

So from the Aussie side the gloves are off, but is this the right way to go? In cricket, the on-field sledging has worked a treat for Australia in recent years, but that's while we were indisputably the best in the world. While I like the sentiment and guts to be heard, I'm also failing to see what this gets us, other than to fire up an otherwise dejected England team. Right now the best weapon against England is their own press.

Those of you familiar with Stephen Jones of the Times will realise that outside of Greg Growden (before he found the pastries in France), there's no stronger critic of Aussie rugby. Well, here's a typical excerpt from his article today;

"Australia, behind their barricade, are a wonderful team. If they had Tony Woodcock and Carl Hayman, the great All Black props, they would be better than the All Blacks.

"They have athleticism throughout the team. They have a flow, with scrum-half George Gregan, diminished as a player but not as a controller, controlling that flow. Above everything, they have a footballing competence behind their scrum that is magnificent.

"Take Chris Latham, now a veteran full-back, but a true great, an era player (and what a capture for Bristol if he does sign on the dotted line). In Britain we seem always to be frustrated by the lack of roundness to our players. Mathew Tait? Lovely runner, shame he’s not bigger and stronger. Ditto Shane Williams. Mike Tindall? Great big bloke, shame he can’t step so well. Josh Lewsey? Great player, shame his kicking game is so short. Gavin Henson? Great talent, shame his temperament is away with the fairies.

Now look at Latham. A strapping athlete, he is quick, he can step, and by the sheer range of different kicks and the length of his boomers, he puts the kicking games of the home nations teams to shame by himself. When you surround Latham with the resurgent captain, Stirling Mortlock, the richly talented Matt Giteau and Lote Tuqiri, flirting occasionally with genius on the wing, you have a range of talent and danger."

**** me Stephen, couldn't have said it better myself. But it makes me nervous all this pommy mealymouthing. Maybe it's because deep down I could just about live with a loss against the ABs or the French at home. But not against the poms, under any circumstances.

So, just when I'm about to suggest we cut them that bit of verbal slack I read this whining, nonsensical drivel in the same article above from Jones about the Wallabies' scrummaging;

"But the Australians have become so adept at offsetting opposition advantage (only the uncouth would call them a bunch of Aussie cheats) and officialdom so adept at letting them get away with it, that England are unlikely to gain any advantage in the tight phases."

Stuff restraint. LET'S GET IT ON.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    In Britain we seem always to be frustrated by the lack of roundness to our players.
    Has anyone clapped an eye on the Pomgolian forwards, plenty of roundness going on there. Let's face facts in a free running games the Poms are going to get murdered, hence they will try to bore the Aussies into submission. To be brutally honest the Poms are a freak show who deserve to be culled from this world cup. Go the Aussies, we'll see you in the semis (then the gloves really come off ).

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The player and official who have the most to say are the player and official I have the least time for, STFU both of you and concentrate on your jobs.
    There is only one suitable baiting required here and that is during the match, "SCOREBOARD!"
    Actions speak far louder than words.
    And in any case, I thought Stirling Mortlock was our team Captain and, by extension, spokesman?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandgoldrugby

Sure, you've got the fact that we've both nicked Bill from each other - us in 91, them in 03,
    We took Bill from the Kiwis in 1991. I know it's a long long time ago that the Kiwis did win a RWC

Sorry I now see you were talking about the two teams in the actual Final

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 02-10-07 at 12:26.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash

Get off your own press Lote! (Jenha'll back me up)

Quote Originally Posted by greenandgoldrugby
    And now LT has got in the act, effectively pasting every England player who's not Jason Robinson;

"[Robinson] is probably their main attacking weapon and probably - and I don't like to say it - but probably the only world-class back that they have playing in form at the moment, or was playing in form,"
    Smart move Lote, sledge the washed up old guy with the dodgy hamstring by calling him the best player on the team??????

Is that so he can say he wasn't trying in the face of substandard opposition? Or possibly it's an attempt to get a guernsey because the opposition is crap.

Either way, I wouldn't count the 'Dark Shark' in my top ten judges of rugby talent anyway, he thinks he's good!

C'mon the

vCash
    Regarding this most anticipated game, can someone please confirm the telecast times and channels in Perth? I'm getting conflicting and baffling information from my usual sources.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    LIVE on C10.....delayed on Fox...

Telecast Times
    Live on Channel 10 in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane from 10:00pm, 9:30pm in Adelaide and 8:00pm in Perth. Replay on Sunday 7th October at 12:00pm in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.
    (This schedule remains subject to change. For complete details check local guides).

vCash
    OK, so it IS 8pm in Perth (although the game isn't actually starting until 9pm?) and it isn't bloody live on bloody Foxtel. That's what I found baffling - didn't believe it.

Thanks, TG!

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yr welcome.....I would say something to do with rights that Fox cant show live

vCash
    And nice of John Connolly to give the Poms extra motivation with his latest soundbite about how the English are all dirty players and bleating to Paddy O'Brien that he wants a clean game.

For once and for all, STFU & while you're at it, why don't you select the team using form as a guide, not your own Eastern States favourites who can't buy a try, let alone score one against 2nd rate opposition.

The Wallabies will progress far because they have talented players, not because of any coaching ability from the top.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Need to run thier big slow pack around the field and take a page out of Tonga and Fiji's book to time those big tackles on their small backs.
    Go Aussies and then we will see some real rugby in the semi's!

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight
    For once and for all, STFU & while you're at it, why don't you select the team using form as a guide, not your own Eastern States favourites who can't buy a try, let alone score one against 2nd rate opposition.

The Wallabies will progress far because they have talented players, not because of any coaching ability from the top.
    Actually Jedi, I've calmed down since my initial rant about selections, We'll still win this game because we're five times better than them at the inside backs, and once Gits realises that we aren't going to score a try with the wingers, he'll do the job himself. SURELY another crap game by those two will see them replaced for the match where we'll need our best team on the park.

C'mon the