Thread: 'Tacklebags' ready to run over Canada

vCash

'Tacklebags' ready to run over Canada

I hope Drew tears down the house....Connolly completely underrates him...he seems to have something against him IMHO
    __________________________________________________ __________

From Wayne Smith in Bordeaux, France
    September 29, 2007

AUSTRALIA coach John Connolly has promised the team's Mr Fixit, Adam Ashley-Cooper, that he will not be disadvantaged in his battle with Drew Mitchell for the left wing position by being forced to play at inside centre against Canada in Bordeaux tonight.

Ashley-Cooper's number of Test caps has just nudged into double figures, but he will find himself playing in a fourth position tonight after intermittent appearances on the wing, at full back and outside centre.

Mitchell has taken full advantage of his rival's toe injury, to post two tries against Japan, a performance against Wales that fluctuated from brilliant to bad, and then a much steadier showing for a further three tries against Fiji last weekend. Remarkably, he now is the Rugby World Cup's joint leading try scorer.

But try tallies are about the last gauge Connolly will use to evaluate Mitchell's performance, with the Wallabies coach spelling out again yesterday what he wants from his fast but flawed wing against the combative Canadians.

"He just has to keep improving and cut down on the errors," Connolly said. "But he has shown he can learn from his mistakes. "In his first game for (Western Force) this year, he turned over the ball five times in contact. He went away and worked on that and did not lose the ball once in the next 45 contacts." (What has Mitchell done wrong in the World Cup that Coops hasn't? From memory Coops has made some pretty shocking mistakes...i'm thinking domestic season South Africa for a start!)

In Connolly's mind, however, Ashley-Cooper remains the incumbent left wing, even though he has had only one Test outing there, against Japan, since the return Tri-Nations fixture against South Africa in Sydney. "He has been mucked about in his career, there is no doubt about that," Connolly said.

"As for the contest between him and Drew, you've got to set out some markers. Current form is important but we also have very clear memories of what he did against the All Blacks at the MCG (where he scored the match-turning try). So he's not going to suffer. The problem he has is if someone like Drew comes in and tears the house down."

This is a difficult match to analyse, and not just because the Canadians, homeward-bound after this Test, play a abrasive, in-your-face game that could take some countering.

Test veteran Stephen Larkham was to have captained the Wallabies until his knee injury and subsequent infection.

Every member of the Wallabies squad who has seen little game time in the tournament has been given a start, save for third-string hooker Sean Hardman, who will come off the bench to replace Adam Freier.

No.8 Stephen Hoiles has to accept that his role is to bring his linking skills to the table once the more explosive Wycliff Palu and David Lyons have made their opening statements.

On one hand, there is enormous pent-up energy and frustration just waiting to be unleashed, and the "tacklebag" Wallabies could cut loose if the Maple Leafs are not on their guard - just as a corresponding Australia side did at the previous Rugby World Cup, dumping 142 points on Namibia without a single point in reply.

On the other, there is the example of the Springboks' recent nightmare against Tonga, in whch the dirt-trackers had accumulated so much rust that even the late injection of the Test regulars almost didn't save South Africa from a humiliating defeat.

Connolly has little doubt it will be the first scenario that is enacted at the Stade Chaban-Delmas tonight. "These guys have a point to prove and they're in a good enough frame of mind to play well," he said. "I expect they will hit the ground running."

Vice-captain Nathan Sharpe predicted that Canada would feel the full impact of a lot of frustrated ambition. "Whilst there might be some rust in terms of skill execution, the energy will be going through the roof," the veteran second row said.

The Australia

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Drew is the man!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    [rant]
    Quote Originally Posted by John Conolly

But try tallies are about the last gauge Connolly will use to evaluate Mitchell's performance, with the Wallabies coach spelling out again yesterday what he wants from his fast but flawed wing against the combative Canadians.
    The Australia
    Struth, we're talking left wing, surely try tallies and not being a revolving door in defense is pretty much it isn't it?

"He just has to keep improving and cut down on the errors," Connolly said.
    The Australia
    I totally do not remember a single error Drew has made in this World Cup.....now I know I'm pretty one-eyed, but if Drew was stuffing up heaps, I wouldv'e been calling for Shep to take the field, no argument here.

In Connolly's mind, however, Ashley-Cooper remains the incumbent left wing, even though he has had only one Test outing there, against Japan, since the return Tri-Nations fixture against South Africa in Sydney. "He has been mucked about in his career, there is no doubt about that," Connolly said.
    The Australia
    I wonder does the Ashley (or possibly the Cooper) family have protographic evidence of Messr John Connoly fornicating with an underaged chicken. That's about the only evidence I can think of that would justify BOTH two-dads and Lote getting the selection above Drew.

"As for the contest between him and Drew, you've got to set out some markers.
    The Australia
    and what exactly would those markers be? Or are you interested in throwing A-C and Cordingly all over the world until the do something good, so you can then say "oh look there's our marker, they DO deserve their spot" It'll never happen, about the only thing A-C does better than Drew is break toes, about the only thing Sam Cordingley does better than George is throw a water bottle...........check that, throwing a water botle is similar to passing, maybe a towel!

[/rant]

I guess it's back to Knuckles bashing time.

C'mon the

vCash
    I thought that the front row that played last night is the best, with Sharpe and Vickerman our pack looks very impressive.