Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vice-captain Lote a mixed message

vCash

Vice-captain Lote a mixed message

WHAT F*CKING GENIUS DECIDED HE WAS VICE CAPTAIN MATERIAL??!! (We need more emoticons Coach to express my feelings on the matter... )

__________________________________________________ ______________
    Vice-captain Lote a mixed message

By Wayne Smith
    September 27, 2007

LOTE Tuqiri, a player seemingly so irresponsible (you're not wrong there) he is officially on his last chance, was last night named as vice-captain of the side to play Canada in Bordeaux on Saturday.

And less than a year after he tearfully declared he never wanted to captain another side after leading Australia A to a demoralising defeat to the Ospreys in the opening match of the 2006 spring tour, flanker George Smith is wearing the armband again, the 75th player to captain Australia in the history of Test rugby.

In coach John Connolly's original plans, this was to have been the match in which Steve Larkham finally achieved the one distinction to sidestep him in his illustrious career, captaining his country.

But with that no longer an option, Smith is a deserving recipient of the honour and while chances are it's a one-off - as it was for Rod McCall and Jason Little when they each captained a World Cup pool match in 1995 and 1999 - who's to say this is not a foretaste of things to come.

Smith is only 27 yet already has 81 caps to his name and could easily eclipse former French skipper Fabien Pelous as the fastest and youngest player to reach a rugby Test century. Indeed, George Gregan sees him as the one player who might threaten his world record for most Tests, currently at 136 and rising.

But while there may well be portents in Smith's selection as captain, it is difficult to know what to make of the choice of Tuqiri as his deputy. The in-form but out-of-luck wing (*cough*), still seeking his first try of the World Cup, remains under the midnight curfew imposed on him and Matt Dunning by ARU boss John O'Neill after they went on a drinking binge in Brisbane following the Wallabies' pre-Cup bonding camp. Someone who partied with them allegedly went on to bash a taxi driver.

Tuqiri subsequently was served with a letter from O'Neill warning him that if there was one more incident, his contract, which reputedly makes him the highest-paid rugby player in the country, would be torn up.

While officialdom appears to have a problem with Tuqiri, Connolly clearly doesn't and the Wallabies coach yesterday saw nothing out-of-the-ordinary in the elevation of the Waratahs wing to a share of the vice-captaincy along with former Test skipper Nathan Sharpe.

"Lote deserves it," said Connolly. "He is training very well, leading from the front and he has been a good influence on the team." (Yep come on boys...i'll show you how to drink, turn up to training drunk..oh no wait...i didn't turn up, AND not score tries...)

The Canada match will see the first appearance of David Lyons in a Wallabies starting side since the Fiji Test in Perth. Otherwise, he has had only one other Test start since 2005, against Scotland at Murrayfield last year, with Wycliff Palu repeatedly being preferred to him at No.8.

Just when it looked like the 2003 World Cup final veteran was about to get his chance to cement a permanent place in the Test pack, he was ruled out of the Bledisloe Cup Test against New Zealand in Auckland in July when he was diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis on match eve.

He has been on blood-thinning medication throughout this tournament but will go off it before this match as a safeguard in case he is cut.

Also making a long-awaited return is 2006 rookie of the year Greg Holmes, who had established himself as Australia's first-choice loose head last season before a neck injury ruled him out of the spring tour, opening the door for Matt Dunning to reclaim the position.

Barely had he recovered from that setback than Holmes encountered another, missing the entire domestic Super 14 and international season when he was forced to undergo a shoulder reconstruction, and this clash with the Maple Leafs will be his first Test start of the year.

On the other side of the scrum, tighthead Al Baxter becomes only the second Australian prop - after his Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie - to register 50 Test caps, no mean achievement for a player whose selection has been under fairly constant fire since he first came into the Wallabies in 2003.

"I feel honoured and privileged to be in a position to achieve 50 caps," said Baxter, who understandably is edgy about soon overtaking 51-Test campaigner McKenzie as Australia's most capped prop.

"It's different eras and should be seen in a different context," said Baxter. "We play a lot more Tests than those guys did back then."

Canada, meanwhile, will go into Sunday's match on something of a low after having had its first win of the World Cup tournament snatched away when an injury-time try allowed Japan to secure a 12-all draw overnight.

The Australian

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Unbelievable, maybe he commands more respect that we think but I still can't see how you can give him the VC after his inappropriate behaviour and comments. Makes a bit of a mockery of it all!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would love to get one of these Captains Armbands after the players have finished with them.....maybe we could put one up on ebay and sell such a rare commodity......maybe frame one for future.....

WTF is a Captains Armband???????????

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I am actually quite ashamed and embarrassed at that selection, I am seriously considering writing my disapproval to the ARU!
    Seriously, that is an absolute joke.
    To think that that moron will lead our country if Smith, joint Test Captaincy Record Holder Gregan or Waugh (joint Tour VC) isn't on the field.
    Especially when you have a proven and inspirational Test and Super 14 Captain like Sharpey in the starting XV.....even Freier Captained NSW's before Tuqiri...
    Shame Knuckles, shame

Last edited by Burgs; 27-09-07 at 09:37.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    I would love to get one of these Captains Armbands after the players have finished with them.....maybe we could put one up on ebay and sell such a rare commodity......maybe frame one for future.....

WTF is a Captains Armband???????????
    You get them in soccer......that's kind of appropriate considering it's going to the most overpaid underperforming player in the tournament!

C'mon the

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Jehan, I think theres enough emoticons - I sort of get the hint your a tad miffed.

vCash
    I think what Connolly is saying is that Lote is reformed, that he's seen the error of his ways and decided to put up or shut up.

I see nothing wrong with that, infact used the same ploy years ago as a player/coach for my local uni club appointing an errant but talented player to vice-captaincy. The responsibility not only (re)invigorated but also transformed him into the consummate team player.

I know we keep bending over to keep Lote happy but this stunt just might work.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    an absolute disgrace Knuckles

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Unbelievable.....

Huxley would have been a better pick then Lote. Might be one of the first times that a player is named a vice-captain and then dropped in his next game for poor performance. If he doesn't score against Canada they should seriously consider dropping him.

vCash
    Give his spot to SHEPS!!!!!!!!!!

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

vCash
    Sorry fellas but im with KQ on this one.
    Lote will now have to "Put Up" or for once "Shut Up"
    actions do speak louder than words and hopefully the pressure of VC will show his true colours

<>

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I understand KQ's theory, but this is a National team for f*qks sake!!!
    To be the VC and possibly onfield Captain for a Test Match is a massive honour, not a bloody training tool.
    History won't have a footnote saying * L. Tuqiri, made VC for a Test to try and get him to pull his finger out!!!
    If he needs the responsibility of leadership to make him play properly then he shouldn't even be in France.
    Slack!!
    Farr-Jones!!
    Lynagh!
    Eales!!!!!
    Gregan!!!
    Tuqiri?????

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    ok ok i get your point burgs,but the aussie team is looking like the closest thing to an australia a side thus far and mabey its the most appropriate time to be trying these types of things (top of pool, garenteed spot etc.)

but mabey im wrong

<>

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sorry if that seemed aimed at you mate, it was purely at the topic!

I think my views are sliding into the "Old School" territory but I strongly believe you don't toy with leadership.

All this Co-Captains and BS you see at AFL Clubs, it does my head in!
    Pick your BEST leader and let him lead.
    Pick your BEST deputy and let him deputise.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    I agree with Burgs.

It's crap like this that is bringing down the meaning and honour of being named captain/vice-captain. Wasn't Waugh given a vice-captain spot before we even started the World Cup? He's on the bench so why isn't he the other vice-captain with Sharpie?

-edit-

If they keep it up pretty soon everyone on the team will have to be described as "former wallaby captain"...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast