Thread: IRB asked All Blacks to change jumpers

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

IRB asked All Blacks to change jumpers

IRB asked All Blacks to change jumpers

Greg Ford in Marseilles | September 25, 2007 - 12:22PM

The All Blacks were asked to change their jerseys during the halftime break of their match against Scotland to end a farcical clash of colours in yesterday's Rugby World Cup match in Edinburgh.

International Rugby Board communications manager Greg Thomas, speaking on New Zealand radio this morning, revealed the attempt failed because the All Blacks' traditional black strip had not been taken with them from their French base.

Thomas did admit the jerseys were confusing and said a similar colour clash would not happen again.

"The match commissioner looked at the jerseys before the match and thought they were quite different," Thomas said.

However, soon after the game got underway IRB officials realised the patchwork on the jerseys made them difficult to differentiate the teams, particularly from side on.

"It was quite messy, we probably could have looked at it as bit closer," Thomas said.

All Black manager Darren Shand has sought an assurance that no team will be able to repeat what the canny Scots did.

In a rare concession the All Blacks confirmed yesterday it "compromised" their performance.

Generally the party line is to play down such matters.

But forwards coach Steve Hansen went on record saying it created confusion in close quarters play and sparked fears others may look to turn the same trick.

Hansen confirmed several players had complained about the clash of colours after the match and it had caused considerable confusion.

Luke McAlister was one of the highest profile victims.

"I think in all honesty some of the decision making was linked to the jersey," Hansen said.

"There was a classic example of when Luke McAlister broke (away) down the midfield and had people on either side (but didn't offload)."

Shand, in response to questions from reporters in Aix-en-Provence yesterday, confirmed the match day commissioner had viewed pictures of the jersey the Scots were supposed to wear and cleared them.

"But (the jersey in the illustration) had quite a bid more navy in it than the one they wore."

When asked if the Scots had pulled a swifty Shand said: "I don't want to go there".

"But the tournament organisers will ultimately have to resolve this.

"I know there were a number of senior officials there yesterday and they spoke to me post match.

"They are concerned about it and are dealing with it now.

"In the big scheme of things, we have had a good win, so this is a pretty minor issue.

"But it would be good to get it sorted out."

France loom as the team's likely quarter finals opponents and in recent months they have adopted a much darker strip which will mean if both teams meet in the tournament a coin toss will determine which team wears what strip.

Chris Jack said last week the team had noted France and Wales both now have jerseys similar to the All Blacks.

"There has been a few comments in the team but there's nothing much we can do about it," he said.

with NZPA

How is this the fault of the Scots???
    The Scottish jersey worn was their HOME jersey which was predominantly navy blue.
    It was the All Blacks who chose to have their alternative strip of WHITE changed to a mess of grey and black, get off your high horse you twits!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I actually found the whole thing funny ... anyone else note Dougie almost passed to a Scots player in the first half Both stripes were appalling to say the least, send in some fashion consultants stat!

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro
    I actually found the whole thing funny ... anyone else note Dougie almost passed to a Scots player in the first half Both stripes were appalling to say the least, send in some fashion consultants stat!

Yeah, strange for Dougie to get a touch of the ball more than 2 metres out from the line....and that close to a defender that he almost passed it to him???? What if he had been tackled??? Poor Dougie he's been playing all these years and still doesn't know that it's not touch rugby.

vCash
    burgs i think neither team was at fault . the blame should be squarely on the match officials as they cleared the jumpers before the game.

i think why people were upset with the scots was because the strip appeared to have more grey in it than when the officials checked them but thats unlikely.
    I agree that the AB's should have stayed with white, it looks FAR better!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric
    I agree that the AB's should have stayed with white, it looks FAR better!
    They should ALWAYS play in their All Black jumpers, after all it is the colour of mourning and it's served them well for 20 years of RWC's

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I don't know if its the same in Aus as over here but in the shops you are now able to buy three forms of the replica World Cup jersey for most teams. The first (and cheapest) is the heavy cotton variety that is aimed at the general fan, the second is a copy of the players jersey which to all intents and purposes looks identical to the third and most expensive actual player quality shirt. These new Canterbury styled tops have very raised "grip" patterns on the chest, shoulder and arms and on the darker shirts (Scotlands) the raised areas are so prominant they make the shirt appear grey/white when looked at from certain angles. So while I agree the main colour of the Scottish jersey is blue the design added to the test jersey most definately gives the impression that it is grey/white/silver/multicolured!

All that being said the organisers should have known better, unless of course the Scots did pull a fast one and submit one of the shirts with less raised pattern to the officials.