Thread: Open warfare is not Phil's speciality

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Open warfare is not Phil's speciality

Open warfare is not Phil's speciality

By Paul Kent in Montpellier
    September 25, 2007

PHIL Waugh is the kind of guy you send into a streetfight, not to let lead a parade. Sunday's win over Fiji did him no favours.

Waugh went looking for a scrap against the big Fijian forwards and instead Australia began the game playing like they were already ahead by 40 and, by the time they eventually restored some discipline to their game, they actually were. It was not a game for the rip and tear-types.

Getting his first start of the tour, Waugh knew it was also his last and best chance to unseat George Smith from the No.7 jersey before the finals. As much as anything else, the conditions might have taken that chance away from him on Sunday.

It was hot and dry and not a day for discipline. Almost immediately after the kick-off Australia began flicking passes out the back, lost any shape in attack as-- most of all - they began pushing wide before they had gone forward.

The lateral game is not Waugh's go. He wants a wrestle, a contest.

He wants a scrap at the breakdown so he can dive in with his head down and come up with the ball and kickstart another Wallaby raid.

He got none of that Sunday, through no fault of his own. It has made life much more difficult.

Waugh and Smith are contesting one of four genuine selection posers left in the squad for coach John Connolly and his selectors.

The others are Drew Mitchell and Adam Ashley-Cooper on the wing, Mark Chisholm and Hugh McMeniman on the bench and, looming late, Stephen Larkham and Berrick Barnes.

Connolly gave no clues on Waugh's chances of advancement after Sunday, saying only: "He'll be in there somewhere."

Waugh walked from the dressing room on Sunday evening still under a light sweat, despite the match being over for more than an hour. It was the measure of his exertion.

He is one of the favourites of Australian public and it is not hard to understand why. He takes what he has and does all he can with it, reflecting the values we like to believe we have within ourselves.

With all that, though, he was still unsure whether he had done enough to shift Smith. "That's hard to say," he said, "I'll have to look at the video.

"I thought the work at the breakdown was reasonably good. It was a difficult game to get involved in but, then again, I'll have to look at the video. It was a pretty open game."

Waugh was destined to lead the Wallabies at this World Cup until injury intervened, ruling him out of the Super 14 season and the domestic Tests, allowing Smith to get the seven on his back.

He has since been a tough one to dislodge and started both the Japan game and the Wales game and for Sunday was rested while Waugh staked his claim. It could have been better.

Australia started poorly and improved marginally, but typically, though, Waugh later dwelled less on his own future and instead focused on the team.

"Overall, as a team, we were pretty disappointing," he said. "But it was mission accomplished, we got the bonus point. But there are certainly areas we need to look at - defence and discipline.

"The disciplined structure we went into the game trying to do we didn't execute, particularly early in the game. We'll have a look at the game and see how we shaped up."

He walked off after that, still under a light sweat, still one to admire.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Hmm see i was watching Phil pretty closely throughout the game and whilst i recognise that the conditions made it tough for him I still think his style of play just doesn't have the same edge and spontaneity that Smith can deliver. Waugh reminds me of an old mr reliable get the job done type of guy. The perfect bench replacement. There is no doubt he is a wonderful player but whilst he works hard it doesn't seem to translate into anything particularly special. He can't seem to capitalize on opportunities in the same way that Smith can......just a thought

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."