Thread: Keep Argentina out: Mauger

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Keep Argentina out: Mauger

Never did much like Mauger, what a selfish gump

Keep Argentina out: Mauger

Jenni Rutherford in Lyon | September 24, 2007 - 8:25AM

All Black Aaron Mauger has pleaded with Sanzar's bosses to keep the flavour-of-the-month Argentina side out of the Tri Nations.

Since Argentina's win against France eight days ago, the drums have been beating to allow the South Americans to join either the Tri Nations or Six Nations competitions.

But Mauger, who won his 44th test cap for New Zealand against Portugal, said the southern hemipshere competition did not need the Argies.

Mauger was not excited by the prospect of an expansion to the Tri Nations and Argentina's matches being played at home.

"The fact there is a new team in there could be quite refreshing for the boys but the fact that you have to travel a lot could take it out of the team, especially travelling to South Africa as well," Mauger said.

"They become quite long trips especially if you have to get back to play the next week. A lot of thought has to go into that one.

"Travel takes its toll, especially guys with families. Guys get a little bit homesick. You can't do much about it because you're a long way from home but it really takes its toll on you when you have to play a big test if you have just travelled for 15-16 hours.

"That's one thing they have to decide because if we go and play in the Tri Nations, they'd have to move everything and make a professional structure in Argentina and bring the players back to Argentina to play.

"It is impossible to have a double season to play Tri Nations and then play in Europe. That's why it's not only the thing of saying, 'OK give the Pumas a competition'. They have to make a proper structure. Rugby is a business so you have to show them the Pumas can be a good business."

Felipe Contepomi, who played in both Argentina's opening victories against France and Georgia was adamant they deserved to play in the Tri Nations or Six Nations championships. The shock win at the Stade de France ranked them fourth in the world behind New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa.

"It's been two wins against France and Georgia but you need to count the wins. In the last five games we have played France, we have beaten them four times and we've beaten England at Twickenham," Contepomi said.

"We've been close to New Zealand and the Springboks. I think Argentina has been doing the right things to be introduced into a competition.

"I don't know if it should be the Tri Nations or Six Nations. There are talks and, hopefully, they will introduce Argentina into one competition because it would be a possibility to grow for the team and not play only two or three games every six or seven months."

Given the choice, the Argentina kicker would rather play in the southern hemisphere where he said the competition was tougher.

"I think the best rugby is played in the southern hemisphere so I would love to play in the Tri Nations," he said.

"I still think we are quite behind those three teams in terms of power but if they give us the chance to compete maybe in a few years time we will close the gap.

"We proved against the northern hemisphere sides that perhaps we are closer. We beat all of them in the last four years so that maybe in terms of competition nowadays we are closer to the northern hemisphere but my dream would be to play against the best ones and that's the southern hemisphere." (Keep the dream alive Felipe )

Sunday News

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't think Mauger is being selfish. I think his concerns about travel are a geniune disincentive to having Argentina in a regular comp.

South Africa has the shortest fiying time to Argentina of all the 3N's.

Yes, Argentina need to be looked at seriously by SANZAR. But the travel is a REAL block that will need some careful strategy to overcome.

Perhaps a regular tour of SANZAR by the Argies each year - but outside the 3N. with each nation touring Argentina in non-RWC years (at least a 2 game tour). That would give them 5 real hard hit outs each year. With 2 'home' games for revenue.

vCash
    so give tonga and the other pacific nations a go instead, clean up your own back yard

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The isolation of South America makes them part of that backyard I believe.
    The travel "issue" is a diversion, the extra couple of hours in the air means bugger all when you spread it over a week, or a couple of weeks like a SA S14 Tour. It is purely getting the scheduling right to balance it out for all parties.
    Still waiting to get further confirmation from anyone in the know re the suggestion that flights over the South Pole actually shorten the trip considerably too.
    Logistics can't be an excuse in this day and age, there is too much at stake for that to decide it.
    If WA teams can be competitive in the AFL with flights every second week then surely Union players can cope with a couple of long hauls per season.
    Bigger and better the product the more marketable it is for more return.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Travel argument, doesnt come into it. Your on the money Burgs.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Argentina should be added to the 3N along with some Pacific Islands team. However, most Argentine players ply their trade in Europe as club rugby is still an amateur sport in Argentina. There'd need to be some sort of consolidation of international rugby seasons in order for this to take effect.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    The travel argument does come into it.
    Flight times from Argentina to Sydney are 16 hours, yet only 13 to London.
    Europe is an easier flight for THEM, and closer to their time zone (less jet lag impact), so a NH comp may be easier and cheaper to attend.

Its not only the time in flight but the logistics of when and how to go. SANZAR is only now near to getting it right with 2 to 3 game trips (mini tours if you like) for the S14. The financial burden of extra flights, hotels, transport, medical issues etc must be weighed against any potential gains from an Argentina touring team.

Before jumping into a whole new 4N comp, SANZAR should do an extensive analysis, in conjunction with IRB and RUA. As I said before, a regular tour by Los Pumas across the SH nations could be a first step, to see if they are viable in crowd attraction. Having said that, there is some imperitive to act fast. The pull for crowds, and sponsors will only last so long after the RWC.

And if your going to do a 4N comp, why not combine the PI nations and make it 5N at the same time. Only, that will need a lot of IRB support.

vCash
    well i've read in a few sources that the arragemnets wont be changed before the broadcast deal expires in 2011 so that gives both SANZAR and the IRB plenty of time to get in there and get some reasearch/analysis etc done. I dont think that the travel will come into to it yet, i'm sure they could maybe put in a bye week if it was expanded to 4 nationes and if was extended to 5 the bye would have to be automaticly

vCash
    Maybe the travel argument should not come into things here. But the viability of any expansion should. The Argies would need all their players available so we get back to the need for a "World Test Season"

vCash
    true, there would be no point in including Argentina if all that they would have available amateaur's, but to organise something like that the whole rugby calander would probably need changing (which i dont care) i think you would have to look at when you wanted it as well with different seasons at different times year between northern and southern hemipheres etc