Larkham may make Canada return

PA Sport
Monday, September 24, 2007 - 06:57 AM (AEST)

Flyhalf Stephen Larkham is set to make his return from injury against Canada next week.

Larkham underwent minor surgery on his right knee on Monday after it locked up on the eve of Australia's victory over Wales.

The 33-year-old was initially prepared to wait until the quarter-finals to make his comeback - but he is now looking to get 20 minutes off the bench against the Canadians.

"Providing everything goes well I'd like to have a hit out and get a bit of confidence," said Larkham.

"Straight after the operation I didn't have any swelling or any pain and I got stuck into the rehab."

"I was pretty confident as soon as I got out of hospital. The fact I could walk out of the hospital was a good sign."

Rookie flyhalf Berrick Barnes has proved an able understudy over the last two games.

Coach John Connolly indicated, probably with tongue in cheek, that Larkham could struggle to get back in the side for the quarter-final against either England or Tonga.

"John will base his selection on what is best for the team," said Larkham diplomatically.

"I think everyone is in competition for their spot. Berrick is playing well at the moment."

"He has brought a youthful exuberance. He controls the game well. He understands all the plays and he is a very skilful player with a very good kicking game as well."