Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2 Down 2 to Go!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Super Bowl win to bring recognition

Getting nervous yet Larry?!?!?
    Not long to go now.
    Here's a local version of the coverage they are giving in Australian webland.

Super Bowl win to bring recognition

Sunday Feb 5 14:44 AEDT

When the Seattle Seahawks clash with the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XL on Sunday their fight will be for recognition as much as a first NFL title.

The Seahawks have been a solid football team, with good players for a while but they are tucked away in the rainy Pacific northwest with few NFL fans from beyond the city limits paying much attention to the team in the teal green uniforms.

A 13-3 season and a trip to the their first Super Bowl has forced people to take notice, yet the Seahawks are as well known in Tokyo and London as they are in some parts of the United States.

Despite a season that included an 11-game unbeaten streak that helped earn them the NFC's number one seed, Seattle is a four-point underdog against the sixth-seeded Steelers.

"Not many people know about us to be honest," Seattle coach Mike Holmgren, a Super Bowl winner with the Green Bay Packers, told a news conference.

"Unless you're on the west coast or specifically in the state of Washington, you'd probably be hard pressed to name a bunch of our defensive players.

"In Seattle because of geography and (lack of) appearances on Monday Night Football and national TV games, your exposure is limited to everyone else.

"I think the Super Bowl, certainly if you win the game, brings those things your way."

In contrast, the Steelers are one of the NFL's most recognisable brands, the franchise covered in glory and respect forged from a long and successful history that includes four Super Bowl titles.

The Steelers, however, do not lack motivation.

While it has taken the Seahawks 30 years to reach their first championship game, Steelers fans have also endured a long, dry spell, having gone 26 seasons without a title.

A victory on Sunday at Ford Field would give Pittsburgh five Vince Lombardi trophies, matching the record shared by the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers.

More importantly to the Steelers, a fifth championship would give running back Jerome "The Bus" Bettis a winning sendoff in what is expected to be his final game after 13 seasons of punishing duty that has made him the NFL's fifth all-time leading rusher.

A native of Detroit, Bettis asked his team mates to "get me home" and the Steelers have used 'The Bus' as a rallying point through an unprecedented playoff run.

The Steelers went on the road to dispose the top three seeds, Indianapolis Colts, Denver Broncos and Cincinnati Bengals.

"Traveling the path we traveled, having to go on the road to beat the three top seeds, it is gratifying," said Pittsburgh wide receiver Hines Ward. "I think Jerome has inspired each individual on this team in some form or way.

"He kind of inspires us to go out there and play hard so we can get him that Super Bowl ring and end on a great note.

"There are a number of reasons we want to win this game.

"We want to win for coach (Bill) Cowher to silence all those critics who say that he can't win the big one."

The longest tenured active coach in the NFL with 14 seasons at the Steelers helm, the square-jawed Cowher has taken Pittsburgh to the semi-finals five times and the Super Bowl once before in 1996 but has never hoisted the championship trophy.

He is reminded of that every day.

"We have the four trophies in our building and I pass them every day," explained Cowher. "I'm just proud to have been with the Steelers this long and nothing would be more gratifying to end this with this trophy.

"That's what they brought me here to do in 1992 and until that gets done there will always be a void."

Whether Cowher finally gets to celebrate a Super Bowl victory on Sunday will largely depend on the play of his brilliant sophomore quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Big Ben, as Roethlisberger is known in Pittsburgh, is an amazing 26-4 as a starter and will try to become the second-youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl.

On defense the Steelers are led by defensive back Troy Polamalu.

The most visible player on the field with long curly black hair spilling out from under his helmet in recognition of his Samoan heritage, the soft-spoken Polamalu is a ferocious hitter and game breaker.

It will be the job of Polamalu and the Steelers defense to slow down the Seahawks' high-powered offense that led the league in scoring this season with more than 28 points per game.

Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck will be at the controls of the attack which revolves around running back Shaun Alexander, who led the NFL in rushing with 1,880 yards and has a nose for the end zone setting an NFL single-season record with 28 touchdowns.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Very nervous. I was up at 4:00 this morning. 6 more hours to go! I can't wait, I'm leaving shortly to go to my neighbors and watch the game on his 52" HDTV!

It's been a very long 2 weeks. I'm sick of listening to how the Seahawks get not respect. They have 7 players going to the Pro Bowl, the NFL's MVP, the starting QB in the Pro Bowl. Just shut up and play. Everyone who's a football fan knows they have a good team. One team has to be a favorite and the Steelers are but by only 4 points.

The Steelers have way more fans. Seattle talks about the 12th man, their fans being so great, the best in the NFL. That's the biggest joke. They have sold out 26 consecutive games, which is about 3 years. The Steelers have soldout every game for about 35 YEARS not games. . The Washington Redskins & several other teams have longer streaks than that. Those are real fans who support their team in bad times as well as good times. 3 years ago you couldn't give away a Seahawks ticket. I'm sure they have some diehard fans but if you can't sell out an NFL stadium every week you certianly don't have the best fans in the country. It's not unusual for the Steelers to have over 7000 fans at any away game. There are many reasons for that, but a big one is Pittsburgh was always a big Steel manufacturing town. In the early - mid 80's most of the mills closed. People moved out of Pittsburgh to many different areas of the country that were booming. Washington DC area, Florida, Atlanta, Charlotte, Calf. Texas & Arizonia. We have fans who live all over and also the people in Pittsburgh travel with the team.

Sorry about the ranting! The teams are evenly matched and the game could go either way. The nice thing about sports is watching who will step up in the big games. The true money players. Let's hope the Steelers have a few more than the Seahawaks.

My prediction is 31 - 28 Steelers!

I'll be back on in about 11 hours, full,drunk and crying. The only question is will they be tears of joy or sorrow?

CARN STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Anyone know when and where we might find coverage? Couldn't see anything on the box for this today (in Perth free to air at least)

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    SBS usually show it. You guys get SBS?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    7am on SBS Coach, get yourself ready
    Now who was it we were chearing for.....Seahawks I think wasn't it???

vCash
    Bugger! Gotta go to work

vCash
    Ooooh ouch. Just saw that interception. 14-10 now.

vCash
    whos favour ?

vCash
    Heheh sorry, Steelers.

vCash
    How drunk d'ya recckon Larry is by now

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Man he's going to be a happy boy, still some time left though.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    Heheh sorry, Steelers.
    Sorry about what?????? They won just like the FORCE is going to beat that team that wears blue on Fridays!!!

Carn the Force & the Steelers ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rookie
    vCash
    Carn the Force & the Steelers ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes indeedy! yee-haaaaaaa!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3