Thread: "Gregan is one of the greats" (You don't say...)

vCash

"Gregan is one of the greats" (You don't say...)

Gregan is one of the greats

By Jim Morton
    September 19, 2007

AUSTRALIA coach John Connolly lauded George Gregan as "one of the game's greats" after handing him the captaincy for a record-equalling 59th Test.

Gregan was returned as Australian skipper in the absence of injured centre Stirling Mortlock for Sunday's World Cup pool B match against Fiji.

The veteran halfback will match the record held by former England captain Will Carling when he runs out at Montpellier's Stade de la Mosson, and may even break it the following week against Canada in Bordeaux.

Gregan will lead a team containing three changes to the starting side and three more to the bench from that which harpooned Wales 32-20 in Cardiff on Saturday.

Mortlock's shoulder injury, ruling him out until the quarter-finals, is also set to pave the way for Adam Ashley-Cooper to start in his preferred outside centre position.

The Wallabies selectors have opted to rest George Smith and lock Nathan Sharpe with vice-captain Phil Waugh and birthday boy Mark Chisholm (26) promoted from the bench.

Waugh's long-awaited ascension ends a six-match run where in-form openside flanker Smith has worn the No.7 jersey.

The New South Wales Waratahs skipper has played less than a combined 80 minutes of Test rugby in those four Tri-Nations and two World Cup matches after Connolly indicated in June he wouldn't play Smith in six straight like 2006.

Queenslanders Greg Holmes, Hugh McMeniman and Sam Cordingley were all promoted to the bench to gain match time before Saturday week's match with the Canucks.

The selections leave forwards David Lyons and Sean Hardman as the only members of the original 30-man squad without action in the first three pool B matches.

Gregan, who officially signed his lucrative contract with cashed-up French second division club Toulon this week, has a maximum five internationals left in his world record 136-Test career.

During the Tri-Nations, he was poised to regain the captaincy he gave up to Mortlock and Waugh when he rested himself from last year's European tour only for the centre to nail it down with his inspirational displays.

"(Gregan) will go down as one of the game's greats," Connolly said. "He has a wonderful record in the game and this is another outstanding achievement.

"His experience is invaluable to us and he will be remembered as one of Australia's greatest ever players."

His comments will prompt debate as Gregan, the most capped player of all time, has long been criticised for his halfback play.

But the 34-year-old showed in Cardiff he is still a fine competitor with a strong all-round game highlighted by a deft chip for a try to Mortlock.

Mortlock anointed Ashley-Cooper as his long-term outside centre successor after the powerful Brumby suggested in training he was over a toe injury.

The 23-year-old completed a 90-minute session in front of 2,000 fans at Stade Yves du Manoir and was almost "past the post", according to team doctor Martin Raftery.

"He's a quality player and I personally think his long-term future is at outside centre," Mortlock said of Ashley-Cooper.

Like Mortlock, playmaker Stephen Larkham has targeted a likely quarter-final against England as his return match after knee surgery.

Rookie sensation Berrick Barnes, to get his second run-on start at No.10, took little part in training due to quad tightness.

Connolly insisted discipline was crucial against the unbeaten, flamboyant Fijians.

"Fiji have been playing good rugby at this World Cup and have proven that if you allow them into the game by making mistakes, they will make you pay," he said.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    That's some mighty fine article posting.

I would have to agree with this artcle, Gregan is one of the game's greats.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Gregan placed on general duties

By Wayne Smith
    September 20, 2007

JUST as George Gregan is about to equal the record as a Test captain by leading Australia against Fiji on Sunday, defensive coach John Muggleton wants to give him a significant promotion - to general.

With captain Stirling Mortlock held back from playing in the next two games to ensure he is fully recovered from a shoulder injury in time for the quarter-finals, Gregan has been restored to the captaincy he last held at Ellis Park against South Africa last year.

It seemed that he might forever be stranded on 58 Tests as captain, one short of the world record of 59 Will Carling established while leading England from 1988 to 1996.

But Wallabies coach John Connolly signalled before the start of the World Cup that if there was any way he could see Gregan home to that record he would take it, and Mortlock's partial shoulder dislocation provides that.

There would even be the possibility of Gregan nudging ahead of Carling if he was to retain the post for the final pool match against Canada, but that is not a consideration on Connolly's radar.

That would mean starting Gregan in every match of his last World Cup campaign, a tall order for the sprightliest of colts let alone for the 34-year-old veteran.

Not that Gregan is showing signs of slowing up. Indeed, admirably, just the opposite. He has turned himself into the Wallabies' defensive linchpin, the standard-setter in the line. At Millennium Stadium against Wales, he covered so much ground plugging holes when the Australians were reduced to 13 men it seemed to Muggleton that some sadist had set Gregan a fitness drill.

"God, he's got a big heart," said Muggleton, who was not dishing out too many compliments after the Wallabies allowed two tries in the Wales Test.

"But he can't do everything himself and I think it would be better for him if, instead of being a captain in the line fighting alongside the troops, he just dropped back and took an overview. More a general than a captain, only coming into the line when absolutely necessary."

Much as he is aware of Fiji's strike power, especially off turnover ball, Muggleton is calling for a defensive shut-out on Sunday as the Wallabies repair the minor damage Wales inflicted on their reputation as the world's best defensive side.

Still, the damage was done, according to 1999 World Cup-winning captain John Eales, who wrote in his London newspaper column that the Wallabies' psychological edge has been dulled slightly.

"Had they held Wales try-less, the chances of a chaste line heading into the quarter-finals would have been big, and they would have loved nothing more than all and sundry reporting such a fact for their future opponents to deal with," Eales wrote.

.......cut......

There seems to be little significance in Mark Chisholm's selection instead of Nathan Sharpe as Dan Vickerman's second-row partner, especially as the plan is to restore Sharpe against Canada and rest Vickerman, but there is no doubt Phil Waugh's performance at openside flanker will be closely studied.

There was a momentary flutter in Australia hearts when Steve Larkham's replacement at five-eighth, Berrick Barnes, walked gingerly to the sideline during training yesterday, but team doctor Martin Raftery reported the problem was nothing more serious than a tight quadriceps caused by too much sightseeing on his day off.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I've always had a soft spot for Gregan--we are after all about the same age, play the same position, started our careers about the same time, both originally from the Motherland--and proud of his achievements.

As with all careers, he's had his ups-and-downs but he has always held his head high, conducted himself with dignity and led his country from the front. To some (many?) he may be perceived as aloof, standoff-ish and even arrogant, but I think history will be kind and give respect as is due.

As they say back where, "well in Georgie, well in."

vCash
    Even being a Kiwi, I will admit George is one of the greats! his contribution to the sport is outstanding. I would have him in any team i had to pick(if givin the chance).

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Unfortunately Seldom, I think he gets higher praise from other nations than he deserves from Australians.
    To me he is one of our very greatest players but even now, with a handful of matches to go and in almost career best form, he still has a very vocal mob against him in the media and public.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Good on you Gregan!!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Funny how Kiwis always refer to Gregan as Greasy George...backhanded compliment obviously. Kiwis know there stuff so George rates highly as he should.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I think George is a great player

and I have said it before and I will say it again (sorry Burgs) I wish he retired before the 2003 RWC.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Unfortunately Seldom, I think he gets higher praise from other nations than he deserves from Australians.
    To me he is one of our very greatest players but even now, with a handful of matches to go and in almost career best form, he still has a very vocal mob against him in the media and public.

The constant bagging of Gregan by Growden, Jones, Campo & Co used to annoy me no end. I cannot understand people's wish to dismiss him. Why is he despised so? I saw that he was a guest on Sunrise, maybe that's why.

vCash
    nobody can fault his form this year though.
    he is one of the greats and will be remembered for a while as one of the greats.