Thread: Rugby Sevens launches Australia's Olympics campaign tonight

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Rugby Sevens launches Australia's Olympics campaign tonight

Wed, Jul 24, 2024, 6:18 AM
    Rugby Australia

Australia's Rugby Sevens Men's team will launch the country's Paris campaign tonight as the first Australian side to compete at the 2024 Olympic Games.

The Aussie Men are one of several teams who will be in action before the official opening ceremony on Saturday to accommodate scheduling.

Captain Nick Malouf will lead the Aussies against Samoa in the side's first match of Pool B at 11:30pm AEST on Wednesday night, shown live on Channel Nine and Stan Sport.

Australia then takes on Kenya at 3:00am AEST on Thursday morning, followed by a match against Argentina at 10:30pm AEST the following evening.

John Manenti's side are chasing their first medal at an Olympic Games after Quarter-Final finishes in 2016 and 2021.

Australia Men’s Sevens coach John Manenti said: "We’ve prepared really well over here in France and the boys are ready to play.

“We just had a stunning jersey presentation at the Australian Embassy overlooking Eiffel Tower with the players’ loved ones and special guest, Sports Minister Anika Wells.

“We kick off the Australian Olympic Teams Paris campaign and are ready for the challenge. This will be an extremely competitive field but we’re up for it.

“We’re all thrilled the wait is over and it’s time to play.”

Australia's champion Women’s Sevens side arrived in the Olympic village this week ahead of their campaign getting underway at 12:00am AEST on Monday, July 29 against South Africa. The Aussies are chasing their second medal after claiming gold at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.

Australia Women's Sevens coach Tim Walsh said: "Our entry into the village has been seamless, thanks to the Australia Olympic Committee team.

"The Montpellier training camp delivered to expectation and the time to perform is approaching.

"Time isn’t of the essence because we feel ready and confident in our preparation with the task now for each of us to do our job with consistency and purpose.

"Staying disciplined on and off the field from here on in will ensure our physical and mental weapons are sharp and we are ready to strike for Australia."

Watch the Aussie Rugby Sevens sides chase glory at the Paris Olympic Games live on Channel Nine and Stan Sport from July 24.

MEN'S RUGBY SEVENS FIXTURES - POOL B

Wednesday, July 24: Australia v Samoa (11:30pm AEST)
    Thursday, July 25: Australia v Kenya (3:00am AEST)
    Thursday, July 25: Australia v Argentina (10:30pm AEST)
    WOMEN'S RUGBY SEVENS FIXTURES - POOL B

Monday, July 29: Australia v South Africa (12:00am AEST)
    Monday, July 29: Australia v Great Britain (3:30am AEST)
    Monday, July 29: Australia v Ireland (10:30pm AEST)

AUSTRALIA'S PARIS OLYMPICS RUGBY SEVENS TEAMS MEN'S

1. Henry Hutchison

2. Ben Dowling

3. Corey Toole

4. Dietrich Roache

5. Mark Nawaqanitawase

6. Henry Paterson

7. Hayden Sargeant

8. James Turner

9. Matt Gonzalez

10. Nick Malouf (c)

11. Maurice Longbottom

12. Nathan Lawson

Reserves: Michael Icely and Josh Turner

WOMEN'S

1. Bienne Terita

2. Sharni Smale

3. Faith Nathan

4. Dominique Du Toit

5. Teagan Levi

6. Sariah Paki

7. Charlotte Caslick (c)

8. Kaitlin Shave

9. Tia Hinds

10. Isabella Nasser

11. Maddison Levi

12. Bridget Clark

Reserves: Kahli Henwood and Sidney Taylor

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/rugby-...onight-2024723

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Rugby Sevens OIympic Games Paris 2024: How to Watch, Schedule and more
    Wed, Jul 24, 2024, 6:21 AM
    Nathan Williamson

The Rugby Sevens is set to get underway at the 2024 Paris Olympic Games from July 24.

Australia has two genuine gold-medal chances as both sides enter with plenty of expectations after strong world series campaigns.

Watch every Rugby Sevens match from the Paris 2024 Olympic Games ad-free, live and on demand in 4K on Stan Sport and live on Nine and 9Now.

The men will kick off the tournament two days before the Olympic ceremony, with Australia featuring in the opening game against Samoa on July 24 (11:30 pm).

The finals will be held on July 28 as John Manenti's side hunt for their first medal, with the women kicking off the following day.

The women's finals will be held on July 31, with Australia one of the teams to beat after the SVNS title.

WHEN DO AUSTRALIA PLAY IN THE RUGBY SEVENS OLYMPIC GAMES?
    The Men's Sevens side will take the field in their opening Olympic game against Samoa on July 24 (11:30 pm) at Stade de France.

This will be followed by a clash with Kenya (3:00 am) before taking on Argentina (July 25, 10:30 pm)

As for the Women, they open their campaign against South Africa on July 29 (midnight).

They face Great Britain (3:30 am) and Ireland (10:30 pm) to finish their pool stages.

WHAT CHANNEL IS AUSTRALIA'S RUGBY SEVENS OLYMPIC GAMES ON?
    Australia's Rugby Sevens campaign will be shown LIVE on Stan Sport and the Nine Network.

Every Rugby Sevens match from the Paris 2024 Olympic Games will be shown ad-free, live and on-demand in 4K on Stan Sport.

Along with this, the Nine Network will have two dedicated free-to-air channels that will show several Olympic sports, including the Rugby Sevens, along with on 9Now

HOW TO WATCH THE PARIS OLYMPICS RUGBY SEVENS?
    The Nine Network and Stan Sport has exclusive rights to broadcast every event of the Paris Olympics in Australia.

Every Rugby Sevens match from the Paris 2024 Olympic Games will be shown ad-free, live and on-demand in 4K on Stan Sport.

Along with this, the Nine Network will have two dedicated free-to-air channels that will show several Olympic sports, including the Rugby Sevens, along with on 9Now.

AUSTRALIA'S PARIS OLYMPICS RUGBY SEVENS TEAMS
    MEN'S

1. Henry Hutchison

2. Ben Dowling

3. Corey Toole

4. Dietrich Roache

5. Mark Nawaqanitawase

6. Henry Paterson

7. Hayden Sargeant

8. James Turner

9. Matt Gonzalez

10. Nick Malouf (c)

11. Maurice Longbottom

12. Nathan Lawson

Reserves: Michael Icely and Josh Turner

WOMEN'S

1. Bienne Terita

2. Sharni Smale

3. Faith Nathan

4. Dominique Du Toit

5. Teagan Levi

6. Sariah Paki

7. Charlotte Caslick (c)

8. Kaitlin Shave

9. Tia Hinds

10. Isabella Nasser

11. Maddison Levi

12. Bridget Clark

Reserves: Kahli Henwood and Sidney Taylor

RUGBY SEVENS PARIS OLYMPIC SCHEDULE
    *All games AEST and held at Stade de France, Saint-Denis

Men's Rugby Sevens Fixtures
    POOL STAGES
    Wednesday July 24
    Pool B: Australia v Samoa, 11:30 pm

Thursday July 25
    Pool B: Argentina v Kenya, 12:00 am

Pool C: France v USA, 12:30 am

Pool C: Fiji v Uruguay, 1:00 am

Pool A: Ireland v South Africa, 1:30 am

Pool A: New Zealand v Japan, 2:00 am

Pool B: Australia v Kenya, 3:00 am

Pool B: Argentina v Samoa, 3:30 am

Pool C: France v Uruguay, 4:00 am

Pool C: Fiji v USA, 4:30 am

Pool A: Ireland v Japan, 5:00 am

Pool A: New Zealand v South Africa, 5:30 am

Pool B: Samoa v Kenya, 10:00 pm

Pool B: Argentina v Australia, 10:30 pm

Pool C: USA v Uruguay, 11:00 pm

Pool C: Fiji v France, 11:30 pm

Friday July 26
    Pool A: South Africa v Japan, 12:00 am

Pool A: New Zealand v Ireland, 12:30 am

Play Video
    A clutch finish from Nick Malouf wins it in extra-time of the SVNS Singapore quarter-final
    QUARTER-FINALS
    9th Place Semi Final: 9th Place v 12th Place, 4:00 am

9th Place Semi Final: 10th Place v 11th Place, 4:30 am

Quarter Final One: First Place Pool A v Second Best Third Place, 5:00 am

Quarter Final Two: Second Place Pool C v Second Place Pool B, 5:30 am

Quarter Final Three: First Place Pool C v Second Place Pool A, 6:00 am

Quarter Final Four: First Place Pool B v Best Third Place, 6:30 am

SEMI FINALS
    Saturday July 27
    Fifth Place Semi Final: Loser Quarter Final One v Loser Quarter Two, 10:30 pm

Fifth Place Semi Final: Loser Quarter Final Three v Loser Quarter Four, 11:00 pm

Semi Final One: Winner Quarter Final One v Winner Quarter Final Two, 11:30 pm

Sunday July 28
    Semi Final Two: Winner Quarter Final Three v Winner Quarter Final Four, 12:00 pm

FINALS
    11th Place Playoff - 12:30 am

9th Place Playoff - 1:00 am

7th Place Playoff - 2:00 am

5th Place Playoff - 2:30 am

Bronze Medal Match - 3:00 am

Gold Medal Match - 3:45 am

Play Video
    Nathan Lawson draws first blood in the quarter-final of SVNS Hong Kong 2024
    Women's Rugby Sevens Fixtures
    Sunday July 28
    POOL STAGES
    Pool B: Ireland v Great Britain, 11:30 pm

Monday July 29
    Pool B: Australia v South Africa, 12:00 am

Pool C: USA v Japan, 12:30 am

Pool C: France v Brazil, 1:00 am

Pool A: Fiji v Canada, 1:30 am

Pool A: New Zealand v China, 2:00 am

Pool B: Ireland v South Africa, 3:00 am

Pool B: Australia v Great Britain, 3:30 am

Pool C: USA v Brazil, 4:00 am

Pool C: France v Japan, 4:30 am

Pool A: Fiji v China, 5:00 am

Pool A: New Zealand v Canada, 5:30 am

Pool B: Great Britain v South Africa, 10:00 pm

Pool B: Australia v Ireland, 10:30 pm

Pool C: Japan v Brazil, 11:00 pm

Pool C: France v USA, 11:30 pm

Tuesday July 30
    Pool A: Canada v China, 12:00 am

Pool A: New Zealand v Fiji, 12:30 am

Play Video
    Tia Hinds converts after the buzzer to deliver a Grand Final spot at SVNS Madrid
    QUARTER-FINALS
    9th Place Semi Final: 9th Place v 12th Place, 4:00 am

9th Place Semi Final: 10th Place v 11th Place, 4:30 am

Quarter Final One: First Place Pool A v Second Best Third Place, 5:00 am

Quarter Final Two: Second Place Pool C v Second Place Pool B, 5:30 am

Quarter Final Three: First Place Pool C v Second Place Pool A, 6:00 am

Quarter Final Four: First Place Pool B v Best Third Place, 6:30 am

SEMI FINALS
    Fifth Place Semi Final: Loser Quarter Final One v Loser Quarter Two, 10:30 pm

Fifth Place Semi Final: Loser Quarter Final Three v Loser Quarter Four, 11:00 pm

Semi Final One: Winner Quarter Final One v Winner Quarter Final Two, 11:30 pm

Wednesday July 31
    Semi Final Two: Winner Quarter Final Three v Winner Quarter Final Four, 12:00 pm

FINALS
    11th Place Playoff - 12:30 am

9th Place Playoff - 1:00 am

7th Place Playoff - 2:00 am

5th Place Playoff - 2:30 am

Bronze Medal Match - 3:00 am

Gold Medal Match - 3:45 am

RUGBY SEVENS RULES AND TOURNAMENT FORMAT
    With Rugby Sevens still a relatively new sport in the Olympic calendar, here is everything you need to know about the fast-growing sport.

Teams have been drawn into three pools of four, with the top two nations automatically qualifying for the quarter-finals.

They will be joined in the finals by the two-highest third-place finishes from the group stages.

The format has significant changes from the 15-a-side format, which includes:

7 players per team on the field
    Five substitutes, with five interchanges
    Seven-minute halves
    Maximum of two minutes half-time
    Matches drawn after regulation in finals are continued into golden point and extra in multiple 5-minute periods.
    All conversion attempts must be drop-kicked and taken within 30 seconds instead of having the option to place-kick
    Three player scrums instead of the regular eight.
    Kick-offs: in sevens, the team which has just scored kicks off, rather than the conceding team.
    Players who receive a yellow card will be sidelined for only two minutes

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/rugby-...-teams-2024722

vCash
    Faith Nathan and Matt Gonzalez: Tacking the Olympics together in the city of love
    Wed, Jul 24, 2024, 8:43 AM
    Nathan Williamson

Faith Nathan and Matt Gonzalez know they don't have to look far for support when a hostile crowd awaits the Australia Sevens at the Stade de France.

The pair of Sevens superstars are preparing to take on the best of the world together as a couple at the 2024 Paris Olympics.

Watch every Rugby Sevens match from the Paris 2024 Olympic Games ad-free, live and on demand in 4K on Stan Sport and live on Nine and 9Now.

The two have been inseparable throughout the SVNS world series as Gonzalez worked his way to his first Olympic selection.

“This is my first Olympics so it might be different for 'Faithy' but I’m really proud for both of us to be selected for this team and I couldn’t ask for a better partner by my side to go through this journey with," Gonzalez told Rugby.com.au

“It’s pretty special to have family and friends come over and support us," Nathan added.

“In Tokyo, we didn’t really get that because we were playing in a ground with no one there so it’ll be awesome to have people over there to support us along with Matt in the village as well.”

Nathan and Gonzalez were reunited in the Olympic village just 24 hours before the men open their Olympics, with the men based in Tours (two hours south of Paris) whilst the women were situated at the other end of France in Montpellier.

“We’ll be in slightly different schedules playing before the girls so there will be a lot going on but I think we’ve been pretty lucky to share a fair few (world series) tournaments together," Gonzalez said.

“We make time for each other at the end of the day and it’ll just be about doing that and if we can’t see each other we know we have the complete and utter support of one another.

“We’re in there together at the same time before we play and stay a couple days after but we’ll make it work and we’ll see each other which is really cool

“It’s really important to have that full understanding of what’s going on and we’re excited about doing it together.”

Injury has been a central part of the couple's season, with Gonzalez crediting Nathan's support for getting back from an elbow injury suffered in April that threathened to end his Olympic campaign.

“At first when the injury happened I was in a bit of a hole and I was fortunate Faithy was able to guide me through it," he said.

“She was saying to not think about what’s happening, reassuring me we’ll get through this.

“Getting selected for an Olympics is an absolute dream and the injury is now on the behind so we can focus on what’s ahead.”

For Nathan, it was focused on the mental anguish of seeing several of her 'sisters' pick up Olympic-ending injuries, especially best mate Madison Ashby, who suffered an ACL injury.

"I think when all the girls got injured, it hit me really hard because Matt and I have grown up with Madi and we’ve known her for a long time," Nathan said.

“Matt was there supporting me and making sure I was ok every day, telling me it’s okay not to be okay so we’ve been calling them to check on them, see how they’re doing and knowing that they’ve got my support which is nice.”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/faith-...f-love-2024723

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Aus 24 d Samoa 14
    Aus 24 d Kenya 7

The more amusing bit though the crowd "hate" for Argentina!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.