Thread: President of French rugby club Toulon regrets signing Sonny Bill Williams

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

President of French rugby club Toulon regrets signing Sonny Bill Williams

President of French rugby club Toulon regrets signing Sonny Bill Williams

By David Murray
    December 02, 2008 THE president of French rugby club Toulon has indicated he regrets signing superstar recruit Sonny Bill Williams.

Volatile millionaire Mourad Boudjellal says his struggling side's biggest problem is that it recruited the wrong players this season.

He did not name Williams, but his comments will be taken as a swipe at the injured former Bulldog.

After another defeat on the weekend, Boudjellal said he had taken his eye off the ball when Williams and other players were signed to the club.

"The decisions I regret concern primarily the recruitment," he said.

"I should have gone into battle more in summer. I let some good players go by, I was less of a presence.

"With the budget we had, we have not made a team that is competitive enough."
    Williams has been on the bench for three months after breaking his leg at the start of the season.

Other new signings this year include Australians Matt Henjak, formerly of the Western Force, and Luke Rooney, from the Penrith Panthers. New Zealander Jerry Collins and South African Joe van Niekerk were also among the international stars recruited to the French team.

Toulon lost 6-13 at home to Dax on the weekend, leaving them at 11th on the table and in danger of dropping out of the Top 14. A fed-up Boudjellal said he felt like letting the club fall out of the top French league. "At the moment, if I listened to my instinct, I'd go off on holiday for three months and let the club drop," he said.

"So I'd rather not listen to my instinct and battle with everyone else. I wouldn't take decisions at times like this."

In a further insult to out-of-favour coach Tana Umaga, Boudjellal has also been in talks with another possible successor.

Former France international Philippe Saint-Andre confirmed on radio that he had met Boudjellal in Paris last week.

"I have nothing more to add for the moment," said Saint-Andre, who is currently in charge of English club Sale.

Previously Toulon's president had been in discussions with former Australia coach John Connolly.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    There have also been reports that Boudjellal is an arrogant twat who treats the playing/coaching staff with little respect. If true that might explain a lot. Obviously I'm not a big SBW fan thesedays but there's not a lot of logic in regretting a signing because he broke his leg.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    pretty piss poor. He bought the players that he bought and now is whinging about it.

Money doesnt always buy trophies

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    There have also been reports that Boudjellal is an arrogant twat who treats the playing/coaching staff with little respect. If true that might explain a lot.
    Certainly reads that way, doesn't it? His decisions on recruitment would have made all the difference, and if he goes on holiday they'll drop out of the top league...?

vCash
    Does this come from Jake Whites visit to Toulon? Mourad Boudjellal is a worry I hope we never have privately owned clubs in the OZ S14... so we can avoid megalomaniacs’ like this chap...He should have given O’Meara the recruiting job…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Does this come from Jake Whites visit to Toulon? Mourad Boudjellal is a worry I hope we never have privately owned clubs in the OZ S14... so we can avoid megalomaniacs’ like this chap...He should have given O’Meara the recruiting job
    I see what you did there...................

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I see what you did there...................
    Talk about obsessed!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Talk about obsessed!
    which one

vCash
    both.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    both.......
    Possibly, but it was aimed squarely at you Mudslinger.