Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shepherd ready to return against Tahs

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Shepherd ready to return against Tahs

Luckless Wallabies fullback Cameron Shepherd has declared himself fit to return against the NSW Waratahs on Saturday after overcoming his latest injury setback.
    The Western Force star has spent the past month on the sidelines after re-injuring the troublesome left ankle he broke while playing for Australia last July.

Barring further mishap at training, the 25-year-old says he's ready to play the interstate Super 14 clash with the Waratahs in Sydney on Saturday, and hopes to push his claims for a Wallabies recall in the remaining five regular season rounds.

"It's huge, hopefully I can rip into these last five and give myself a chance for selection and in the end whatever happens, happens," said Shepherd, who has nine Test caps.

"It's been a tough injury to come back from, it's been a really hard 10 months for me but I'm positive about it.

"As far as the Wallabies goes I'd love to be there in the number 15 but it's something I don't have much control over at the moment.

"I've just got to make sure I'm playing good footy when I'm on the field and the rest will take care of itself."

Shepherd admitted there was a chance he would require another bout of surgery before the end of the Super 14 season if his ankle flared again upon his return.
    "There was a dislocation when I broke it the first time and the damage to the ankle joint is actually what's been giving me more grief than the bone," he said.

"There's a lot of fluid and scar tissue built up in there and just with all that floating around it affects my range of movement and if it gets pulled or twisted the pain from that is a lot worse.

"That's been the hardest thing to get over and I guess the inevitable thing is that sooner or later I'm going to have to get another arthroscope and get it all cleared out.

"I think we'll make a decision on when that's done depending on how it goes in the next few games.

"If I can get through it and there's no pain then I'll be all right, but if I have another tweak or a twist and something goes on then we'll get it done ASAP."

While Force teammate Scott Staniforth saw his Wallabies ambitions go up in smoke when he twice returned too soon from a knee injury, Shepherd felt it was the right time to test his ankle out again under match conditions.

"I feel like I'm in a space where I can play footy at the moment," he said.

"There's no serious damage there at the moment that I'm risking so I'm ready to go and if it does get hurt again, well that's just the chance we take but I'm definitely not pushing myself any harder than we've all agreed is OK."

The Force, who are eight points adrift of the fourth-placed Waratahs, will be without winger Nick Cummins (leg) and Junior Pelesasa (triceps) for the must-win clash with NSW, but star back James O'Connor is expected to return from a hamstring injury.

Rob Horne (hamstring) is likely to miss for the Waratahs.

© 2009 AAP
    http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/break...0413-a4o2.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Good luck to him. We do definitely need a fit Shep at fullback and also the Wallabies.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Great news, with Cummings injured (at a most inconvient time for him as he was just improving exponentially), we need Sheps at fullback and Mitchell back on the wing where he is a much better player.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Shepherd ready to return against Tahs
    you do not want to know what I read

vCash
    would the line up now be or might be:
    10 gits
    11 drew
    12 JOC
    13 cross
    14 dane?
    15 shep

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    might put Haige Saire on 14 ( spelling??)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    would the line up now be or might be:
    10 gits
    11 drew
    12 JOC
    13 cross
    14 dane?
    15 shep
    Stanners at 14, he is much better than Sare and Haylett Petty, also he needs to play all matches left to make 100 Super games so I am sure he push himself to be fit and ready.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Good to hear if he is back Sheps to full back and Mitch to the wing heres hopeing

vCash
    about time Sheps. show em watcha got!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Excellent news
    (I'm wondering if he might not play the full 80, pull up sore and then get subbed...)

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    what if spanner is out with injury?

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    I'm more inclined to think he should just have the further surgery now. Get it completely over and done with. I'm envisaging him getting hurt in the last couple of super 14 games totally destroying wallabies selection again....

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Champion
    vCash
    I would liek to see Josh Tapapu (?) given a go i was impressed with him in the scratch matches hes on the bench bring him on....... defensive play however a bit questionable. Sare is playing for his position for 2010 give me a go he played ok off the ebnch i felt at least runs after his kicks Drew is carrying an injury for sure

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    Drew is carrying an injury for sure
    Pray tell? I haven't heard that Drew injured... Cummins yes but not Drew.

*Josh Tatupu

Last edited by robyn <3; 13-04-09 at 22:06. Reason: add more stuff

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Champion
    vCash
    He's lost his zip of late and heavily strapped ?? i hope not........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast