Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ex-skipper Slack calls for rugby review - AAP

vCash

Ex-skipper Slack calls for rugby review - AAP

As stated on other threads, some of the Fox "experts" are belatedly calling for heads to roll at HQ. Including Justin Harrison from RUPA. Highly respected people like Bob Dwyer, Rod Maqueen, Andrew Slack have also questioned the direction taken by this incompetent board. Now Slack is openly calling for an INDEPENDENT review, rather than one more farcical internal snow job. Can such high profile persons finally make a push for action from the Sports Commission? Hopefully so.

Former Australian captain Andrew Slack is among the voices calling for an independent review of both the Wallabies coaching role and the Rugby Australia hierarchy following the World Cup debacle.

With Michael Cheika falling on his sword after their disappointing quarter-final exit in Japan on Saturday, there are demands that more figures from Rugby Australia follow him out the door.

Director of rugby Scott Johnson, who came on board in January to rein in Cheika after a series of dismal results, is set to conduct a World Cup review and find the new Wallabies coach.

Rather than rush to appoint Cheika's replacement, Slack said he'd like to see an independent audit of Australia's performance at the World Cup and the months preceding it.

https://www.portlincolntimes.com.au/...view/?cs=12933

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It will only be truly independent if government does it. Any external consultant will write whatever RA want them to write so they stand in good stead to get repeat business.

Come on Australian Sports Commission - do what is right by the taxpayer.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    It will only be truly independent if government does it. Any external consultant will write whatever RA want them to write so they stand in good stead to get repeat business.

Come on Australian Sports Commission - do what is right by the taxpayer.
    Is there anything we could do Alison? Send emails/letters to them? Or am I just clinging to hope for karma for those at RA

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Is there anything we could do Alison? Send emails/letters to them? Or am I just clinging to hope for karma for those at RA
    The media are well onto it but there is no reason why fans/taxpayers can’t write to the Aus Sports Commission (now called Sport Australia) to ask them what they have done since the release of the 2017 Senate report following its inquiry into the future of rugby union in Australia. The Senate made recommendations aimed specifically at the Aus Sports Commission and the Commonwealth Govt. What have they done in response to those recommendations?

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary...ion/Report/b01

vCash
    I should make it clear that I am no longer a member of the board of Rugby Western Australia. So, my comments here and elsewhere are all made in my capacity as a private citizen and passionate fan of rugby.

Player
    vCash
    The positive I suppose is that finally the East Coast has woken up to the fact ( it seems) that the RA board are culpable for destroying rugby union .... Will it make a difference ? Castle and no doubt Clyne think (from what I can see ) that it’s not their fault ..... which is DISTURBING .

vCash
    The media are well onto it but there is no reason why fans/taxpayers can’t write to the Aus Sports Commission (now called Sport Australia) to ask them what they have done since the release of the 2017 Senate report following its inquiry into the future of rugby union in Australia. The Senate made recommendations aimed specifically at the Aus Sports Commission and the Commonwealth Govt. What have they done in response to those recommendations?

Like ASIC they did nothing.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Champion
    vCash

Thanks for the reminder of the Senate recommendations. I have posted on ROAR this morning on the subject.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Thanks for the reminder of the Senate recommendations. I have posted on ROAR this morning on the subject.
    I have also reminded a few key journalists and have sent them a link to the report.

vCash
    We have also had 13 of them in 7 years. The Saltbush Review which was supposed to be independent was conducted by Patrick Allaway a member of the FOSUFC. It was never completed and made public.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsetal06 View Post
    The positive I suppose is that finally the East Coast has woken up to the fact ( it seems) that the RA board are culpable for destroying rugby union .... Will it make a difference ? Castle and no doubt Clyne think (from what I can see ) that it’s not their fault ..... which is DISTURBING .
    But the solutions from the East will be:

- NSW will want a board which once again brings the Shute Shield to the pinnacle of Australian rugby, because it was when the World Cup was won in 1991.
    - Queensland will want a board increasing Queensland's presence because Jones was a Queenslander, and look what a mess it's been with NSW running it.
    - Canberra will want a board with an increased presence, because they've won Super Rugby twice.
    - Victoria will want a Victorian board, because they are The Sporting Capital of Australia(TM).

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    But the solutions from the East will be:

- NSW will want a board which once again brings the Shute Shield to the pinnacle of Australian rugby, because it was when the World Cup was won in 1991.
    - Queensland will want a board increasing Queensland's presence because Jones was a Queenslander, and look what a mess it's been with NSW running it.
    - Canberra will want a board with an increased presence, because they've won Super Rugby twice.
    - Victoria will want a Victorian board, because they are The Sporting Capital of Australia(TM).
    Sadly that is close to the mark! Self interest of the states is destroying rugby in Australia . AFL would not have grown to where it is now if it had not had an independent commission. If AFL administration was still dominated by a few powerful old Melbourne clubs, then they would never have allowed and actually helped West Coast, Sydney, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, and Brisbane to get strong enough win their flags. With GWS knocking on the door now.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Anyone have access to this paywalled link (Big changes are coming at RA board with key executives preparing to leave) that they can post here?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...4ff316845b5a5e

Apparently Robinson is going, uncertainty about De Clyne.

vCash
    Its heating up on the East Coast

'Disturbing': breakdown in Cheika-Castle relationship staggers O'Neill

Tom Decent
    By Tom Decent
    October 21, 2019 — 10.00pm
    Share on Facebook

Tokyo: Former Australian rugby supremo John O’Neill says Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle and chairman Cameron Clyne must be held accountable for keeping Michael Cheika on last year, describing as “disturbing” the admission of the outgoing Wallabies coach that he had next to no relationship with the game's two senior figures.

As the blowtorch was turned onto Castle and Clyne, the CEO responded to Cheika's public comments by saying relationships between coaches and chief executives "are always very challenging".

Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle.
    Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle. CREDIT:JESSICA HROMAS

RA made the decision to stick with Cheika as head coach last December after a year in which Australia won four of 13 Tests, at the same time installing Scott Johnson in a new position of director of rugby.

There has been fierce backlash following Australia’s World Cup quarter-final exit at the weekend - it was the Wallabies' equal worst showing from the past six Rugby World Cups - and Cheika on Sunday quit the post.

Advertisement

O’Neill told the Herald last year there needed to be an “urgent repair” of the Wallabies set-up to benefit the interests of Australians rugby.

After witnessing the Wallabies slump to a 40-16 defeat to England, O’Neill believes the writing had been on the wall for some time.

“Ultimately the buck does stop with the board and CEO,” O’Neill told the Herald. “People with experience in this space know it’s a collective responsibility and thus the accountability is shared widely. The starting point is the governing body, the RA board, the chair and then the chief executive, high performance [arm], the coach and his staff and the players.

“They had the opportunity [to make changes in 2018]. It gets printed now that the reason they didn’t is they couldn’t afford it."

Cheika said on Sunday: “I think it’s no secret that I pretty much have got no relationship with the CEO and not much with the chairman. Scott [Johnson] is a lovely bloke and I get on fine with him but I’m not really into that type of thing. I like to take responsibility. I found that a little bit difficult at times."

Advertisement

O’Neill said it was inconceivable Cheika had next to no relationship with Castle or Clyne.

“Reports that the coach and CEO relationship was non-existent is disturbing. After all, the coach reports to the CEO,” O’Neill said. “The head coach can’t ever be untouchable or unchallenged. The CEO is the one who has the job of managing the coach.

John O'Neill (left) during his days as boss of the ARU.
    John O'Neill (left) during his days as boss of the ARU. CREDIT:AFP

“In a perfect world those relationships should be cohesive, respectful and collaborative. The troika of [Rod] Macqueen, [John] Eales and me worked well and successfully. We had our moments but it was sorted with some robust discussions behind closed doors and then we moved on.”

Contacted by the Herald, Castle said: "CEOs and head coach relationships are always very challenging and [it is about] trying to find the right working relationship and certainly with the changes that were made at the beginning of this year. Sometimes head coaches find bit difficult to deal with those changes inside an environment."

Advertisement

A major restructure this year saw Johnson take over as director of rugby and Castle said Australian rugby was far more aligned now from the top to Super Rugby and through pathway programs like the under-20s and schoolboys. She believes there will be major benefits from greater collaboration in the future.

RELATED ARTICLE

Add to shortlist
    O’Neill was chief executive of the ARU from 1995 to 2004, when the Wallabies won a World Cup and made a final, and then again from 2007 to 2012.

“It’s about where to now from this historical low point,” O’Neill said. “This low point for the game in Australia by most popularity measures is a real opportunity to not just examine what went wrong with the Wallabies but the chance to open the canvas, to conduct a 'root and branch' review of the game, its structural limitations and barriers to success and grasp this moment to bring the stakeholders together under one banner and with a single sense of ownership and purpose.

“New Zealand did it after their loss in the 2007 in the quarter-final. Their makeover has resulted in over 10 years of consistent success and dominance.

Advertisement

“It’s in their hands. There are no easy choices here but more of the same is not an option. Where do we want to be in 2023? Ranked No.6, No.12 or No.1? It’s an easy answer."

While Dave Rennie, a New Zealander, is hotly tipped to be appointed next Wallabies coach, O’Neill, who oversaw the appointment of Robbie Deans, said RA should reach out to Eddie Jones.

Jones has excellent success at World Cups and has led England to a semi-final this Saturday against New Zealand but has two more years left on his current deal.

Michael Cheika watches his team warm up before their match against England.
    Michael Cheika watches his team warm up before their match against England.CREDIT:AP

“Eddie Jones is worth chatting to,” O’Neill said. “The next Test match is eight months away, so we don’t need a head coach tomorrow. I have read about RA’s intentions but I would suggest an open and transparent process with an extended timeframe rather than by Christmas.

Advertisement

“Let the fans know how it’s going to play out. Appoint a well qualified panel, with an independent chair. People who are cleanskins and beyond reproach. Reviewing yourself is not an option.”

RA has said a review will take place and look at "all aspects of the Wallabies program, from coaching to physical preparation, player fitness and skill development

vCash
    I should make it clear that I am no longer a member of the board of Rugby Western Australia. So, my comments here and elsewhere are all made in my capacity as a private citizen and passionate fan of rugby.
    Thanks for your time on the board Alison. Much appreciated.

Any particular reason you are no longer on it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast