Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Signing Spree

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Still buying experience (OK quality experience) I'm hoping to see a bit more "building the future"

And a world class 10
    That is easier said than done under the circumstances. Maybe the aim is to simply be more competitive, get the casual fans back through the turnstiles and attract more future-seeking players to the local premiership.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Still buying experience (OK quality experience) I'm hoping to see a bit more "building the future"

And a world class 10
    Has Jake Mctyre ever been confirmed as a signing?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Thomas Cubelli and Julian Montoya have signed!
    Cubelli is the same position as Prior (club captain) - a year older, too.

Montoya at hooker is a step-up from Ready & Kaitu'u. Does this mean Tessman won't be back? (At 37 next season I wouldn't blame him, but I hope he sticks around.)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

And a world class 10
    it is difficult to sign a world-class 20 something when they would still have visions of playing for their own national team.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    it is difficult to sign a world-class 20 something when they would still have visions of playing for their own national team.
    I think the force have the jump on every other Australian side in that, they know where their money is coming from in 2021. I guess any 10 in Australia is a long shot in tge "world class" stakes, but we can surely pick someone up from one of the poorer franchises. I think next year, I'd like to see them focus on success and keeping local talent in the places where WA is strong, mainly back row and I guess outside backs (but we do have some good Queensland era here already) Maybe we need to get hack hardy back

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Force add Argentinian internationals
    October 8, 2020
    The Western Force has added some South American flavour to their 2021 squad with the signing of two Argentinian international players.

Tomás Cubelli and Julián Montoya are both set to move to Western Australia upon the conclusion of The Rugby Championship.

With over 130 combined caps for Los Pumas, the Argentinian duo bring an extensive international pedigree to the club.

Cubelli, born in Buenos Aires, brings a wealth of experience to the Force having earned 75 caps for Argentina, including appearances at the World Cup in 2015 and 2019.

The versatile playmaker is well-acquainted with Australia, having spent two seasons with the ACT Brumbies, including an outstanding 2016 Super Rugby campaign.

Cubelli returned to his native Argentina in 2018 to join hometown club Jaguares, where he’s been a key player ever since with his elite passing range, hard running and abrasiveness.

The dynamic number nine, whose thrilling style of play has also earned him selection for the coveted Barbarians invitational side, is excited to start a new chapter.

Another signing from Jaguares, Montoya made his debut at international level when he was just 19-years-old against South American rivals Uruguay and went on to be part of the 2015 and 2019 World Cup squads.

Montoya, who plays as a hooker, is another experienced addition, having played 59 times for Argentina including a stellar hat-trick performance against Tonga in the 2019 World Cup.

The Pumas regular has also thrived at club level in Super Rugby, having scored another hat-trick against the Queensland Reds earlier this year.

Head of rugby Matt Hodgson noted the inclusions of international talent brings fresh ideas and concepts to the club, which will help strengthen the team for the future.

“These signings bring with them a whole new world of experience, which will be massive for the growth of the club,” Hodgson explained.

“Every region plays rugby in different ways and has a different style. I think these players will suit the Force style of play but will also be able to add something special to help us stand out from the competition.

“To see that world-class players want to play at the Force shows the type of club we are. They have seen our journey and are actively selecting to be part of that, which is very exciting to see and speaks volumes about the club.”

Head coach Tim Sampson is looking forward to seeing the Argentinians impact on the field and around the club.

“Having an injection of two players who have international experience is going to an asset,” Sampson said.

“We will be keenly watching them in the upcoming Rugby Championship.”

More player announcements can be expected in the coming weeks.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Backs bolstered with contract extensions
    October 9, 2020
    The Western Force is thrilled to announce backs Brad Lacey, Jack McGregor and Byron Ralston have signed on for another two years with the club.

The backline trio all played significant roles this season in our historic return to the Super Rugby competition.

Lacey, a product of the RugbyWA development pathway, was part of the 2011 Australian Schoolboys squad and has also represented Australia at the U20s level before signing his first professional contract with his hometown team and taking part in the National Rugby Championship, World Series Rugby and Global Rapid Rugby for the Force.

Having played juniors and Premier Grade with local side Wests Scarborough, where he went on to win the league title in 2017, the winger’s pace and strength with ball in hand has proven to be a real asset for the club over the past few seasons.

The 26-year-old enjoyed his first taste of Super Rugby this year, making his debut alongside Ralston and McGregor against the NSW Waratahs at the Sydney Cricket Ground, as he went on to earn five caps during the campaign.

“It means a great deal for me to be staying in WA. I grew up wanting to play for the Western Force my whole life,” Lacey said.

“To get the opportunity to stay on board for an extra two years to watch the team grow, as well as the WA pathway for local talent to grow, is an amazing accomplishment in my career.

“We have been given the chance to deliver performances that we and our loyal fans can be proud of. I look forward to that challenge the most.”

Another player with junior international experience, Jack McGregor showed his versatility, pace and vision on the big stage playing at flyhalf and fullback during the 2020 Super Rugby AU season, which included an outstanding try against the Queensland Reds at Suncorp Stadium in Round 3 that earned him a place in the Rugby.com.au Team of the Week.

McGregor, who captained the NSW and Australian Schoolboys’ teams in 2014/15, while also making the Australian U20’s squad in 2017, was ever-present playing every game during the 2020 season.

“I can’t thank Sambo (Tim Sampson, head coach) and Hodgo (Matt Hodgson, head of rugby) enough for giving me the opportunity to stay in Perth and keep playing here in a state and team that I love,” McGregor explained.

“It’s a childhood dream to play Super Rugby, so to tick that off this year with this group was massive.

“The last two and a half years with the club have been unreal and what we’re building here is amazing.”

Byron Ralston, who marked his arrival in Super Rugby AU with a composed opening try on debut against the Waratahs, enjoyed a superb campaign scoring four tries (equal 4th in Super Rugby AU).

The 20-year-old speedster lead the Force in metres gained with over 300 to his name and also earned selection in the Rugby.com.au Team of the Week in Round 3 after scoring a double against the Reds, which included a spectacular 80m intercept try.

Having made significant strides in his development in 2020, Ralston can’t wait to continue his time with the Force.

“The club has shown a lot of faith in me, especially as a 19-year old with only a handful of games in senior rugby. To be amongst that NRC winning team was unreal, and then for them to continue to show faith and sign me on for another two years is really exciting, it feels like home,” Ralston said.

“It was a childhood dream to go out and play Super Rugby. I took a lot of learnings from that experience and realise you’ve got to be on every single moment of every single play, which is the same for off the field with your professionalism and looking after your body.

“I’d really like to thank my club back in Brisbane, Brothers Rugby. They put a lot into my growth coming out of school and making sure I developed up to the standard where I could get a contract in the NRC and my family back home as well.”

vCash
    Lacey didn't really look up to scratch this year, with poor defensive positioning and too often losing his feet when trying to change direction or approaching a defender. Hope he improves next year, but should only be a backup option at best based on this year's performances.

vCash
    Very happy to see Jack and Byron staying with us. Jack is going to learn so much from the likes of Rob Kearney.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I suspect the club is looking at McGregor as a 10, where he originally played at age grade. We have options at 15, fewer at 10.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Very happy to see Jack and Byron staying with us. Jack is going to learn so much from the likes of Rob Kearney.
    That is the name of the game. Turning Ralston, McGregor, Lacey, Wagner, and others into stars, by playing in a winning squad with international guys like Rob Kearney and Thrush.
    Think of David Pocock and James OÇonnor who gained benefit of playing at the Force as young guys.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    There's that focus on youth I've been waiting for. Now to get some more quality younguns from outside the club

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    There's that focus on youth I've been waiting for. Now to get some more quality younguns from outside the club
    Many (if not most) will already be under contract and it is unlikely they will be released, given the flight of more expensive experienced players overseas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    Many (if not most) will already be under contract and it is unlikely they will be released, given the flight of more expensive experienced players overseas.
    I think a lot of Aussie contracts would be ripe for early release though. Imho, we're still short at 10 and we need to build depth. I believe out highest priority is a quality 10 followed by signing placid and then building depth with longer term options, preferably WA boys but if that's not possible wallaby eligible.

C'mon the

vCash
    So Ryan McCauley from Tahs just been signed?

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast