Thread: Wallaroos v Black Ferns

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallaroos v Black Ferns

Miller's time comes as Wallaroos dream of NZ upset

Thu, Jul 11, 2024, 4:48 PM
    Murray Wenzel - AAP

Desiree Miller scored a try for every year she's played rugby in the Wallaroos' drought-busting defeat of Fiji.

A former gymnast, swimmer and dancer, the 22-year-old also played hockey, soccer, basketball and tennis before kicking a footy in the park with her brother in 2020 changed everything.

The NSW Waratahs winger is a quick learner, a hat-trick in a winning Super Rugby Women's final in April just the entree to her record-equalling four-try haul in Sydney on Saturday.

"Ask me three years ago if I'd be here, scoring four tries for my country, absolutely not," Miller told AAP ahead of Australia's Test against New Zealand in Brisbane on Sunday.

"I was in (COVID-19) lockdown, playing soccer and loved it, but it was time for a change."

All four of Miller's tries in a 64-5 defeat of Fiji - the side's first in four Tests under new coach Jo Yapp - required power, speed and a touch of class.

"I played so much sport growing up and the rugby I've been able to pick up from all those disciplines," she said.

"With the gymnastics background people have asked, 'When are you going to backflip (after scoring a try)?'

"Not yet, not yet ... I just don't want to hit anyone. Maybe if I get a runaway try, that'd be cool. But I've got to get there first."

That would be handy at Ballymore against the Black Ferns, who have won all of their 25 clashes - most of them by hefty margins - dating back to their first encounter in 1994.

New Zealand beat Yapp's side 67-19 in May, Australia's total their highest in a damning reflection of their trans-Tasman neighbour's dominance.

"We have nothing to lose and we know a win is coming," Miller insists.

"Each time we get better and pick apart more and identify more opportunities."

Rugby Australia has committed to boosting the professionalism of the program ahead of Australia hosting the 2029 World Cup.

And Miller wants to be front and centre of that movement, despite the inevitable attraction of the NRLW.

"None directly," she said when asked if any clubs from the rival code had come calling.

"I love rugby and love the people I've met through it and the friendships. I love league, but rugby's for me.

"Since joining the program last year I've already seen massive improvements.

"It's a bigger picture than just us; it's for the next generation, keeping the Wallaroos name alive for generations."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Marsters returns as Wallaroos name side for Black Ferns Test

Fri, Jul 12, 2024, 9:58 AM
    Nathan Williamson

The Wallaroos have been boosted by the return of flanker Ashley Marsters for Sunday's clash with the Black Ferns at Ballymore.

Coach Jo Yapp has named a settled side, with Marsters the lone change to the team that thumped Fijiana in Sydney.

The Victorian has not played since hurting her ankle against the USA in May.

"Ash has worked extremely hard to return from injury and has been training really well, it is great to have her experience back in the side," Yapp said.

Her return sees Leilani Nathan revert back to the bench, with last week's debutant Lydia Kavoa making way.

Wallaroos winger Biola Dawa, scrumhalf Natalie Wright and prop Allana Sikimeti retain their spots in the team after earning their maiden caps in Sydney last week.

“We were really pleased with our performance last week and are looking to build again this weekend," Yapp added.

“We’ve prepared well for the match and are looking forward to playing in front of Wallaroos fans at Ballymore.

“We know our final Test match of the year on home soil against the Black Ferns is a big challenge, but one we are looking forward to ahead of WXV 2 in September.”

The Wallaroos are hunting for their first victory over the Black Ferns in international history, with the game live, ad-free and on-demand on Stan Sport

WALLAROOS TEAM LIST TO FACE NEW ZEALAND

1. Brianna Hoy (Coffs Harbour Snappers) – 7 caps
    2. Tania Naden (Uni-North Owls) – 14 caps
    3. Eva Karpani (Onkaparinga) – 25 caps
    4. Kaitlan Leaney (CSU Marlins) – 19 caps
    5. Michaela Leonard (c) (Tuggeranong Vikings) – 26 caps
    6. Atasi Lafai (Campbelltown Harlequins) – 13 caps
    7. Ashley Marsters (Booroondarra) – 28 caps
    8. Piper Duck (Tumut Bullettes) – 14 caps
    9. Layne Morgan (Merewether Carlton) – 23 caps
    10. Arabella McKenzie (Lightning Ridge Tigers) – 25 caps
    11. Desiree Miller (Eastern Suburbs) – 6 caps