Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Force v Brumbies 25 March 2022 @ HBF Park

vCash

Force v Brumbies 25 March 2022 @ HBF Park

FORCE (1-15): Harrison Lloyd, Feleti Kaitu’u (c), Santiago Medrano, Jeremy Thrush, Izack Rodda, Fergus Lee-Warner, Kane Koteka, Brynard Stander, Ian Prior, Jake McIntyre, Manasa Mataele, Bayley Kuenzle, Kyle Godwin, Toni Pulu, Jake Strachan

RESERVES: Andrew Ready, Bo Abra, Greg Holmes, Tim Anstee, Ollie Callan, Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, Reesjan Pasitoa, Richard Kahui,

BRUMBIES (1-15): Scott Sio, Lachlan Lonergan, Sefo Kautai, Darcy Swain, Nick Frost, Rob Valetini, Jahrome Brown, Pete Samu, Ryan Lonergan (c), Rod Iona, Andy Muirhead, Irae Simone, Len Ikitau, Tom Wright, Tom Banks

RESERVES: Billy Pollard, Fred Kaihea, Tom Ross, Tom Hooper, Rory Scott, Nic White, Hudson Creighton, Jesse Mogg

Referee: Angus Gardner
    Assistant Referees: Graham Cooper, Jordan Kaminski

Great to have Koteka and Pulu back. Really can't understand why we haven't gone back to Prior / Pasitoa starting though. They looked good in the first 2 rounds, with Fines / McIntyre also combining well off the bench and we've looked much worse since.

Could be a decent shot for the win being at home and with Alaalatoa and Lolesio not named in the Brumbies team. Will need a much improved performance from what we've seen the last few weeks though...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Brumbies far less scary without AAA.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    And Slipper. We should boss their front row.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    And Slipper. We should boss their front row.
    Oh yeah, didn't even notice that. Lachie Lonergan is also a lightweight - should be a real opportunity there. I'd be tempted to start Holmes to really push the advantage.
    I'm guessing the Brumbies have decided they should beat us in a canter and have decided to rest some players?

Also happy with Gardner being ref - the best in Oz by far at the moment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Great to have Koteka and Pulu back. Really can't understand why we haven't gone back to Prior / Pasitoa starting which looked good in the first 2 rounds and we've looked worse since.
    I agree, however I suspect that Pasitoa is being managed for long term results not short term sugar hits, if so I can live with that.

I am pleased to see that that pest White is not starting for the Brumbies, he is an absolute irritant the way he plays and acts, not always in the spirit of the game he belongs on a soccer field not a rugby field....

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Just looking at the team list, how's this one

"Moana Pasifika coach Aaron Mauger has handed former Reds centre Henry Taefu his first start against the Hurricanes."
    Thanks Channel nine, it isn't like he played for anybody else, is it

and from lower down
    ""We've had a squad mentality all season and we're rotating in a few guys this week who have earned an opportunity and getting valuable recovery into a few players, particularly Allan and Slips (James Slipper) who have put big shifts in these first five rounds," Brumbies coach Dan McKellar said.

"Seeing Ryan Lonergan lead the team out will be a proud day for everyone at the club and in ACT rugby who have watched him come through as a kid but it's a responsibility he is more than ready for and not much will change for him."

FORCE (15-1): Jake Strachan, Toni Pulu, Kyle Godwin, Bayley Kuenzle, Manasa Mataele, Jake McIntyre, Ian Prior, Brynard Stander, Kane Koteka, Fergus Lee-Warner, Izack Rodda, Jeremy Thrush, Santiago Medrano, Feleti Kaitu'u (c), Harrison Lloyd

Reserves: Andrew Ready, Bo Abra, Greg Holmes, Tim Anstee, Ollie Callan, Issak Fines- Leleiwasa, Reesjan Pasitoa, Richard Kahui

BRUMBIES (15-1): Tom Banks, Tom Wright, Len Ikitau, Irae Simone, Andy Muirhead, Rod Iona, Ryan Lonergan (c), Pete Samu, Jahrome Brown, Rob Valetini, Nick Frost, Darcy Swain, Sefo Kautai, Lachlan Lonergan, Scott Sio

Reserves: Billy Pollard, Fred Kaihea, Tom Ross, Tom Hooper, Nic White, Hudson Creighton, Jesse Mogg"

so it appears the Brumbies have this notched in as a foregone conclusion, hopefully them messing with the Front row and the halves will come unstuck. They have, however, made sure that the areas that need to be strong to beat us remain well staffed.

We need our backrow and our midfield to stand up this week. and it'd be really nice to get some linebreaks happening.

C'mon the

vCash
    Love this

Western Force flanker Fergus Lee-Warner determined to show why he should be in the Wallabies camp in The West

Western Force flanker Fergus Lee-Warner will be out to show Australian coach Dave Rennie why he deserves Wallabies selection in Friday’s Super Rugby Pacific clash with the Brumbies.

Lee-Warner had been tipped as a bolter for next month’s three-day camp and will be disappointed not to be joining teammates hooker Feleti Kaitu’u, second-rower Izack Rodda and uncapped winger Toni Pulu.

He has been one of the most consistent ball-carriers and tacklers in the competition ......

He rolls up his sleeves, gets through the dirty work and has a high involvement in the game.” .....

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    It would be good to see Medrano from the bench again. I noticed last week that after a couple of wobbly efforts he and Bo Abra did reasonably well especially after those two penalties from a defensive 5 yard scrum. I thought a penalty try was coming but they turned it around and went a long way towards the win in the final seconds. Ready has been pretty good with his throws lately too

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Time to pull out the old gold away kits and Perth Spirit jerseys

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Getting rid of the 'Yips': Sampson pushes Force for confident showing against Brumbies
    Thu, 24/03/2022, 7:39 am
    Nathan Williamson

Western Force coach Tim Sampson is encouraged by a more relaxed approach to training as they look to topple the undefeated Brumbies.

The Force are eager to build off last week's miraculous victory over the Fijian Drua, with Bayley Kuenzle proving the hero in the 84th minute.

They face a Brumbies side still looking for improvement after their fifth straight win to start the year, tieing their best start to a Super Rugby season.

With memories of their narrow round one defeat still fresh in mind, Sampson called on his side to 'loosen their shoulders' and play with confidence as they look to cement their top eight standing.

“It’s about encouraging players to play with confidence,” Sampson told reporters.

“In golfing terms individuals have got the yips with their game. They only need one good moment in training or early on in the game to get through that.

“We spoke about it this week and I think already we’ve seen at training that they’ve relaxed their shoulders a bit. They have to go out and play with confidence, there’s a reason why they are selected in this team and that’s what we’re encouraging.”

Sampson and the Force are eagerly awaiting next week's bye after a brutal start to the season.

Already hampered by the prospect of relocating for the opening period of the competition, the schedule has handed them four six-day turnarounds in the first six weeks.

On two occasions, the short turnaround was compounded as they were forced to travel from the east coast back to Western Australia.

This Friday's clash starts a prolonged home stand for the club, hosting five of their next six games at HBF Park, with the only travel during that stint coming for Super Round.

“We’re in routine now, to have four six day turnarounds in six weeks for the club that has to travel the most, it can take its toll,” Sampson admitted on the tough draw.

“We’ve got such a resilient group, we’re winners not whiners so we just roll our sleeves up and get on with it. You do have the adjust your program no doubt and I’d like to think after having so many in the first six rounds that we are in routine now and we’re starting to get it right.

“It’s important to get the preparation right but straight away the recovery and planning has got to be address pretty quickly.”

The Force have been boosted by the return of Kane Koteka (knee), Kyle Godwin and Toni Pulu (both concussion) to the starting side.

Argentinan prop Santiago Medrano comes back into the starting side, swapping places with Greg Holmes.

Wallabies prop Tom Robertson remains on the sidelines as he battles a calf complaint.

FORCE (1-15): Harrison Lloyd, Feleti Kaitu’u (c), Santiago Medrano, Jeremy Thrush, Izack Rodda, Fergus Lee-Warner, Kane Koteka, Brynard Stander, Ian Prior, Jake McIntyre, Manasa Mataele, Bayley Kuenzle, Kyle Godwin, Toni Pulu, Jake Strachan

RESERVES: Andrew Ready, Bo Abra, Greg Holmes, Tim Anstee, Ollie Callan, Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, Reesjan Pasitoa, Richard Kahui,

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/wester...umbies-2022323

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    He rolls up his sleeves, gets through the dirty work and has a high involvement in the game.” .....
    I think I know why he wasn't included in the Wallabies squad.....

Does the dirty work
    Doesn't do flashy shit
    Doesn't prance around like some others

GIGS' Crystal Ball says Fergus Lee-Warner will be the new Scott Fardy

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

GIGS' Crystal Ball says Fergus Lee-Warner will be the new Scott Fardy
    ...... And do what? Depart for Canberra so he'll get a Wallaby call-up?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Force keen to knock Brumbies off perch
    Justin Chadwick
    AAP
    March 24, 2022 12:35PM

Western Force centre Kyle Godwin has set his sights on knocking the Brumbies off their perch on Friday night, saying the round-one loss in Canberra remains a sore spot for the team.

The Brumbies are the only unbeaten outfit in Super Rugby Pacific this season after winning their opening five matches.

But it could have been different had the Force held their nerve when clinging to a late lead in round one in Canberra.

The Force hit the front through a Jake McIntyre try in the 77th minute.

But the euphoria was short lived with Lachie Lonergan crossing two minutes later to snatch the win for the Brumbies.

Godwin has been hanging out for Friday night's rematch at HBF Park, with the former Wallaby eager to turn the tables.

"That last game was a bit of a sore spot for us," Godwin said.

"We definitely had that win in our grasp and we let it slip in the last couple of minutes.

"We learnt a lot of lessons there, personally as well myself. Hopefully we can get one-up on them tomorrow night.

"They're undefeated this season and we want to be the team that knocks them off their perch tomorrow night."

The Brumbies have opted to rest a host of key players for the match following last week's bruising 16-12 win over the Queensland Reds.

Wallabies forwards James Slipper and Allan Alaalatoa have been given the week off, while flyhalf Noah Lolesio will be missing because of an ankle injury.

Wallabies scrumhalf Nic White may also not play due to the impending birth of his third child.

White didn't board the flight to Perth on Thursday, but he's a chance to make the flight west on Friday.

If White doesn't make the trip then Lachie Albert will replace him on the bench.

Brumbies coach Dan McKellar doesn't want the Force to take his decision to rest players the wrong way.

"I want to make sure there's no disrespect here to the opposition at all," McKellar said.

"It was always part of our plan, (it was) a big scrum game last week against the Reds.

"Pretty much the best part of 12 hours on a plane or sitting at airports.

"So I just thought it was a good opportunity to freshen up the front row in particular, provide opportunity for boys who have worked hard."

The changes means out-of-favour prop Scott Sio has been handed a starting berth.

The Force escaped with a last-gasp 20-18 win over Fijian Drua last week after inside centre Bayley Kuenzle nailed a penalty after the siren.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...erch-c-6189000

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    ...... And do what? Depart for Canberra so he'll get a Wallaby call-up?
    Exactly

Tahs might be a better choice, but that's what is going to need to happen.

The other parallel I see is that Fardy never fully cemented a spot with the Wallabies for a long time, as a hybrid, he was constantly being looked at as too small for a lock and too slow for a 6, so they'd pick anybody and everybody looking to replace him with somebody that fit their formula, only returning to Fards when the team performed worse without him.

I fear that will be Fergus' journey as it has been for most hybrid lock/blindsides in Australia. I don't think coach development in this country is sufficient for coaches to see outside a formula.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Force keen to knock Brumbies off perch
    Justin Chadwick
    AAP
    March 24, 2022 12:35PM
    They're going to have to do a couple of things to manage that!
    Shake off the dodgyness of the last three games once and for all
    Stop conceding tries immediately after scoring, which has been a problem all year
    Start breaking the line repeatedly which has been a problem all year
    Either hope that the Brumbies' lineout is as crap as it was in the first half of game 1 or up the production of our defensive lineout to keep the ball away from their maul.

(the last one isn't as crucial as the first three, we've been defending maul pretty well, but If you give the Ponies unilimited maul ball, you WILL get scored on)

C'mon the

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast