Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 61

Thread: 2024 Melbourne Rebels Squad Dispersal

  1. #31
    (Previously WFDS) WFDom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Margaret River
    Posts
    2,091
    vCash
    5750000
    Without analysing I'm hoping Cronno has crossed paths with a few of them over the years. Mayve dropped them a whatsapp or two

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

  2. #32
    Immortal Contributor
    Moderator
    Burgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    23,422
    vCash
    558000
    Filipo Daugunu returns to the Queensland Reds for 2025

    Sat, Jun 29, 2024, 7:38 AM
    Reds Media Unit


    Wallabies utility back Filipo Daugunu has signed a one-year deal to return to the Queensland Reds.

    The Queensland Rugby Union is delighted to announce the experienced addition to build backline depth for the 2025 season.

    Daugunu, 29, played 69 Super Rugby games during his six previous seasons (2018-23) at the Reds before a strong 2024 stint of 12 games for the Melbourne Rebels.

    The decision to reconnect with the Reds became an easy one.

    “Queensland is home for me. It’s where it all started,” Daugunu said.

    “For me to come back, I’m honoured to be here. There will be a lot of familiar faces. I’m happy.”

    Last week, he packed his car and drove the 18 hours from Melbourne to Brisbane to re-establish his life.

    Daugunu is returning to the Reds as a more versatile player. He played almost exclusively at outside centre for the Rebels after making his name as a winger.

    “For me, it was a good change to go to Melbourne. I played a lot at outside centre and enjoyed the defensive role where you read the play by connecting with your inside centre and the winger on the outside,” Daugunu said.

    "I've spent most of my career playing on the wing. I'm happy to play the position where I'm needed.

    “The news has been tough for the Rebels but you have to move on.”

    The popular Daugunu burst onto the scene in 2017 after arriving unheralded from his homeland of Fiji.

    He carried his speed and try-scoring for the Wests club into even more prolific deeds for Queensland Country. He crossed for a hat-trick of tries in Country’s 42-28 win over Canberra Vikings in the grand final of the 2017 National Rugby Championship.

    Daugunu’s dash generated 22 tries for the Reds in six seasons and his play has earned him seven Test caps to date.

    His recent elevation into the Wallabies squad of new coach Joe Schmidt shows how highly his experience and form is valued.

    At 98kg, Daugunu also adds a powerful frame to the Reds’ backline options.

    “It’s fantastic that Filipo has returned to Queensland. He’s much respected and we’re really pleased he has chosen to come home,” Reds Head Coach Les Kiss said.

    “He gives us great cover in the midfield and outside backs.” Negotiations are continuing with a number of players following the recent re-signings of Hunter Paisami, Zane Nonggorr, George Blake, Ryan Smith, Josh Flook, Josh Nasser and Tom Lynagh plus the signing of Josh Canham.

    FILIPO DAUGUNU
    Position: Winger-Centre

    Height: 178cm

    Weight: 98kg

    Born: 04/03/1995

    Birthplace: Labasa, Fiji

    Senior Club: TBC

    School: Dogotuki District School, Fiji

    Queensland Reds debut: 2018 v Rebels, Melbourne

    Super Rugby caps: 81 (Reds 69, Rebels 12)

    Super Rugby points: 145 (Reds 120: 22 tries, 2 cons, 2 pens), (Rebels 25: 5 tries)

    Wallabies Tests: 7

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

    Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

  3. #33
    Senior Player chiraag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northbridge
    Posts
    505
    vCash
    5662000
    Looking pretty clear how these rebels players are going to be dispersed. We'll obviously need to be looking at other avenues, however overseas options are apparently now closed to us also. Zooming of the force looking very much like a net negative at the moment for the Force and Wallabies.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #34
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    20,741
    vCash
    1476000
    I was planning on preparing a shopping list entitled "Players who have been discarded by other teams to fit the Rebels in" because I think that's going to be our lot.

    Haven't had time to think about it yet, but it's likely the better option.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  5. #35
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    20,741
    vCash
    1476000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I was planning on preparing a shopping list entitled "Players who have been discarded by other teams to fit the Rebels in" because I think that's going to be our lot.

    Haven't had time to think about it yet, but it's likely the better option.
    so....to begin the process

    Reds are going to need to shift a lock and an outside back

    Looking at the 2024 list, they currently have
    Locks
    Angus Blyth – Likely gonna stay
    Cormac Daly – A new hire, unlikely to go
    Taine Roiri – haven't heard of him, might be worth a chase
    Ryan Smith – Likely gonna stay
    Connor Vest – Had some game time but might go

    Outside Backs
    Floyd Aubrey – Played some minutes, but might seek greener pastures
    Jock Campbell – Likely gonna stay
    Mac Grealy – I'm closer to Likely gonna stay than not
    Jordan Petaia – they can keep him (and probably want to)
    Tim Ryan – for PR value alone I'd keep him
    Suliasi Vunivalu – That'd be just our luck I can see the headline now "x test Wallaby outside back signs with the Force on a 5 year deal"

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  6. #36
    Immortal Contributor
    Moderator
    Burgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    23,422
    vCash
    558000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    so....to begin the process

    Reds are going to need to shift a lock and an outside back

    Looking at the 2024 list, they currently have
    Locks
    Angus Blyth – Likely gonna stay
    Cormac Daly – A new hire, unlikely to go
    Taine Roiri – haven't heard of him, might be worth a chase
    Ryan Smith – Likely gonna stay
    Connor Vest – Had some game time but might go

    Outside Backs
    Floyd Aubrey – Played some minutes, but might seek greener pastures
    Jock Campbell – Likely gonna stay
    Mac Grealy – I'm closer to Likely gonna stay than not
    Jordan Petaia – they can keep him (and probably want to)
    Tim Ryan – for PR value alone I'd keep him
    Suliasi Vunivalu – That'd be just our luck I can see the headline now "x test Wallaby outside back signs with the Force on a 5 year deal"
    If it helps, what I have "Off Contract" for the Reds.
    Blue 2024, black unknown-

    Peni RAVAI Prop
    Sef FA'AGASE Prop
    Richie ASIATA Hooker
    Cormac DALY Lock
    Connor ANDERSON Back row
    Liam WRIGHT Back row
    Louis WERCHON Scrum-half
    James O'CONNOR Fly-half
    Lawson CREIGHTON Fly-half
    Jordan PETAIA Winger
    Mac GREALY Winger
    Jock CAMPBELL Fullback
    Max CRAIG Hooker

    Taine ROIRI Lock
    John BRYANT Back row
    Harry MCLAUGHLIN-PHILLIPS Fly-half
    Isaac HENRY Fly-half
    Frankie GOLDSBROUGH Centre
    Taj ANNAN Centre
    Tim RYAN Winger
    Floyd AUBREY Fullback

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

    Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

  7. #37
    Player
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    cottesloe
    Posts
    259
    vCash
    5198000
    Can we pick the correct Joc???

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #38
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    20,741
    vCash
    1476000
    Quote Originally Posted by wallabydarnd View Post
    Can we pick the correct Joc???
    Porque no los dos?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  9. #39
    Player
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    cottesloe
    Posts
    259
    vCash
    5198000
    Mala memoria

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #40
    Veteran Sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    4,954
    vCash
    29078136
    Quote Originally Posted by wallabydarnd View Post
    Can we pick the correct Joc???
    Past evidence would suggest that we probably can't!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

  11. #41
    Player Kernow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Kalamunda
    Posts
    223
    vCash
    5122000
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    If it helps, what I have "Off Contract" for the Reds.
    Blue 2024, black unknown-

    Peni RAVAI Prop
    Sef FA'AGASE Prop
    Richie ASIATA Hooker
    Cormac DALY Lock
    Connor ANDERSON Back row
    Liam WRIGHT Back row
    Louis WERCHON Scrum-half
    James O'CONNOR Fly-half
    Lawson CREIGHTON Fly-half
    Jordan PETAIA Winger
    Mac GREALY Winger
    Jock CAMPBELL Fullback
    Max CRAIG Hooker

    Taine ROIRI Lock
    John BRYANT Back row
    Harry MCLAUGHLIN-PHILLIPS Fly-half
    Isaac HENRY Fly-half
    Frankie GOLDSBROUGH Centre
    Taj ANNAN Centre
    Tim RYAN Winger
    Floyd AUBREY Fullback
    How many are Australian/ Aus Eligible?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

  12. #42
    Veteran Sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    4,954
    vCash
    29078136
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    How many are Australian/ Aus Eligible?
    They are all Australian apart from:

    Peni Ravai is Fijian, capped ~30 times
    Cormac Daly is Irish, but only capped at U20, so could become eligible in a couple of years

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

  13. #43
    Player Kernow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Kalamunda
    Posts
    223
    vCash
    5122000
    So Brumbies are now getting in on the signing action - looks like they have just signed Tuaina Taii Tualima on a two year contract

    https://www.rugby.com.au/news/tualim...rumbies-202472

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

  14. #44
    Immortal Contributor
    Moderator
    Burgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    23,422
    vCash
    558000
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    So Brumbies are now getting in on the signing action - looks like they have just signed Tuaina Taii Tualima on a two year contract

    https://www.rugby.com.au/news/tualim...rumbies-202472
    Updated.
    First of non RA contracted 17 to stay.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

    Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

  15. #45
    Immortal Contributor
    Moderator
    Burgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    23,422
    vCash
    558000
    Interesting that in the last couple of days the Rebels official website has transformed to the Rugby Vic site.
    I guess it's officially "over".

    Was otherwise thinking though, given Jumbuck Joe's selection policies for the current Squad around Internationals, would seem Feliuai, Kailea, Lancaster, Salakaia-Loto and Tupou will all be signing somewhere in Australia in coming weeks.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

    Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rebels v Force 2024 Game 2
    By Tazzmania in forum Western Force
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 05-03-24, 13:34
  2. First Brumbies Squad 2024
    By Burgs in forum ACT Brumbies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-24, 09:20
  3. Rebels First Trial Squad 2024
    By Burgs in forum Melbourne Rebels
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-24, 11:33
  4. Replies: 87
    Last Post: 12-04-21, 22:28
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-01-10, 05:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •