Thread: 'Differing views': All Blacks ROCKED as assistant quits on eve of South Africa tour,

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

'Differing views': All Blacks ROCKED as assistant quits on eve of South Africa tour,

Just five matches into Scott Robertson’s tenure as All Blacks coach, the national team has been rocked by the news that experienced assistant Leon MacDonald will depart immediately.

The All Blacks announced the move on Thursday as the three-time world champions prepare to take on the Springboks in South Africa for the first time since their heartbreaking 12-11 loss in last year’s World Cup final.

MacDonald, the versatile former Crusaders and All Blacks back, finished up with the Blues last year to join his former teammate’s new-look national coaching set up. In his place, the Blues snapped their Super Rugby drought under Vern Cotter.

In his place, assistant coach Scott Hansen and contact skills coach Tamati Ellison will take on additional responsibilities for the remainder of the season.

“Leon and I have been having some honest conversations with each other for a little while now,” Robertson said.

“As coaches we have differing views and both agreed it wasn’t working. Leon and I both care deeply about the All Blacks and we believe we’ve made a decision that’s best for this team.

“There’s a huge amount of respect and appreciation for Leon in the group and the work he’s put in to get us to this point in our journey. As a team we have acknowledged that contribution and our focus now needs to be on South Africa, it’s going to be two tough Test matches over there.”

New Zealand Rugby head of professional rugby and performance Chris Lendrum added: “You’ve got two great coaches who have been having some robust but constructive discussions on the approach to drive the All Blacks over a period of time now. Ultimately, they have made a brave decision that they believe is best for the team.

“Leon is a highly regarded coach and has made a huge contribution to rugby across a number of teams in New Zealand, and we’d love to have him back in our system in the future. For now, I’d like to thank him on behalf of NZR and wish him all the very best.”

Although it’s not yet known what those philosophical differences were, the All Blacks’ attack struggled at times across Robertson’s first five Tests in charge.

Despite bouncing back in style by beating Los Pumas last weekend in Auckland, the All Blacks were shocked 38-30 in Wellington a week earlier by the same opposition.

The eight-point loss came after unconvincing victories over England at home, where the attack struggled for fluency as the All Blacks were regularly caught around the halfway line.

It’s the second time in as many tours of South Africa the All Blacks have had a coaching reshuffle on the way to the Republic after the NZR stepped in to help Ian Foster’s flagging side.

Indeed, John Plumtree and Brad Mooar lost their jobs as assistants after Ireland’s series win over the All Blacks in 2022.

After a first-up defeat, the All Blacks bounced back to square the ledger in South Africa to save Foster’s tenure in charge.

The All Blacks announced a 36-man touring party on Wednesday for the Tests in Johannesburg and Cape Town, with versatile Blues back Harry Plummer to remain with the squad.

New captain Scott Barrett is expected to be fit for the two-Test tour after missing the matches against Argentina, while Patrick Tuipulotu remains sidelined with a calf injury.

Squad:

Forwards:
    Asafo Aumua, Codie Taylor, George Bell, Ethan De Groot, Tyrel Lomax, Fletcher Newell, Pasilio Tosi, Ofa Tu’ungafasi, Tamaiti Williams, Scott Barrett, Tupou Vaa’i, Josh Lord, Sam Darry, Ethan Blackadder, Sam Cane, Samipeni Finau, Luke Jacobson, Dalton Papali’i, Ardie Savea, Wallace Sititi.

Backs:
    Noah Hotham, TJ Perenara, Cortez Ratima, Beauden Barrett, Damian McKenzie, Jordie Barrett, David Havili, Rieko loane, Anton Lienert-Brown, Billy Proctor, Caleb Clarke, Will Jordan, Ruben Love, Sevu Reece, Mark Tele’a, Harry Plummer.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/othe...efb3f85&ei=143

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Trooble at mill.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    indeed,anyway stuff rugby i'm off to hua hin for a couple of weeks!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    indeed,anyway stuff rugby i'm off to hua hin for a couple of weeks!
    Who is Hin and is she aware?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The All Blacks boss said the pair differed on their "philosophy on rugby", but refused to divulge details of the split.

Be fascinating to get some insight to that.
    Neither "philosophy on rugby" is necessarily invalid, just that one doesn't align with the Head Coach.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Who is Hin and is she aware?
    hua in Maori can be translated to be"boiled Head"-so there you go,lol