Thread: Young prop James Slipper may start for Wallabies against Springboks

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Young prop James Slipper may start for Wallabies against Springboks

Young prop James Slipper may start for Wallabies against Springboks

From Jim Tucker in Bloemfontein, South Africa
    September 01, 2010 Prop James Slipper could win a stunning starting role for the Wallabies this weekend to show how far he's come since "baby" taunts from England's front-row intimidators welcomed him to Test rugby three months ago.
    Slipper, 21, stood solid for back-to-back scrums on his own tryline in Pretoria last weekend when injected off the bench, which may just be the fibre the Wallabies need for a desperate Test scrap in Bloemfontein on Sunday morning.

Examining his mettle as a starter may be the next progression for 2010's biggest bolter now that the Wallabies have to adopt South Africa's own steely "refuse to lose" creed to fight their way out of a deep Tri Nations hole of their own making.

The strong pointer that Slipper may usurp regular tight-head Salesi Ma'afu came when he had an elevated role at training at Durban's magnificent Moses Mabhida Stadium, scene of the Socceroos' 4-0 crash to Germany in football's World Cup.

Stephen Moore's experience as a lineout thrower and set-piece organiser was all but ignored on the bench in Pretoria. That same mistake can't be repeated, so expect him to earn more time off Saia Faingaa at hooker.

Should Slipper start, it will be another adrenalin shot as big as that of the daredevil who buzzed the start of training on the Big Swing, the bungee-style dive from the stadium arch 106m above the playing surface.

Slipper has propped against the tricks of four different nations in his seven Tests off the bench, he's packed under fire in a seven-man scrum against England and he ran on for a scrum on his own line during his 26 minutes work in Pretoria.

"It seems to be the way I go on these days," Slipper said.

"In my debut against England, they put me on five metres out. It is always nerve-racking but when you run on the adrenalin pumps and you don't really worry about what you have to start off the game doing.

"It's all good and I just keep learning. The Kiwis are very technical in the scrums, England relied heavily on muscle and unity between all of the eight and the South Africans are a lot like that, too."

The kid picked from a single run-on match for Queensland in May wants to play his part in silencing the South African barbs about the Australians being psychologically damaged and as predictable as death and taxes when it comes to losing on the highveldt.

"We were in a very commanding lead and should have put that Test away last weekend," Slipper said of the 44-31 loss.

"I wouldn't say the big stage got to us. Maybe it was a lack of composure but we've done this a few times this year and it's something we really want to get out of our game by playing the full 80.

"There was some great attack and a lot of positives we're working on too."

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans clearly has faith in where Slipper's career is heading and where he is now.

"James has shown he can perform at this level and that he's going to be here for a long time," Deans said.

"He has taken every challenge."

A repeat in Bloemfontein of Slipper's barrelling 20m run to within metres of the tryline in Pretoria would be gold.

"I can't tell you much or how far away from the line I was," Slipper shrugged.

"My first time in space in a Test is just a big blur."

Spoken like a true prop.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...016959,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    not many players have twice as many Test caps as they do S14 caps

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Could be a pretty impressive Test: Super Rugby ratio by the start of S15.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    he might get a few more off the bench and maybe one or two starts, but Ben Alexander is on his way back for the EOYT.

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Indication Is that Maafu will start but Slipper will come on a lot earlier
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    Slipper deserves to start. And so does Moore, McCalman and A Faingaa. Cooper should be left out but unfortunately won't.

vCash
    I think we need some unpredictability in the back line.. what about Cummins?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    I think we need some unpredictability in the back line.. what about Cummins?
    unpredictability in the backline?
    Cooper, Beale and JOC are starting...

Veteran
    vCash
    i think he means people they havent really seen playing...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Probably also means reliable unpredictability too, not "erratic flights of fancy" unpredictability.

Cue Rumsfeld...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    potentially burgs, but how Cummins reliable unpredictability then?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I wouldn't have made the connection between the statement and the question personally.
    Cummins is a genuine hard running straight liner generally, a Peter Hynes mould.
    I agree there's nothing particularly unpredictable about him and there was possibly better examples, but it's Zims birthday so we can forgive him that

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    OTOH if everybody else in the backline's slashing left and right, sometimes it is unpredictable (and valuable) to have a solid, hard, straight runner.

Although AAC usually plays that role.

C'mon the

vCash
    Agree Gigs, IMO its why they Reds backline went so well this year, everyone in the backline is a straight hard runner except for Cooper.. to many cooks ruin the broth

Last edited by TOCC; 03-09-10 at 17:04. Reason: no need

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Agree Gigs, IMO its why they Reds backline went so well this year, everyone in the backline is a straight hard runner except for Cooper.. to many cooks ruin the broth

no no of course not rumsfield
    Well......Cooper and Genia for mine, but I reckon you need two to confuse the defence. That way, when Genia's got the ball, all the forwards are thinking "oh shit, what's he gunna do, will he smoke me on the inside or will he pass it to THAT guy........"

Surround that by solid hard running ouside backs and some speed on the wing and you've got a pretty effective backline.......enough even to make Ma'a Nonu look like a good passer!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    True but it is handy to have two cooks. That way if they focus on shutting one player down it gives more room to the other. When the Force drew the Crusaders back in 2006 it was because Dave Pusey and Scott Staniforth ran hard and fast at Dan Carter all night and noone else could distribute like he can.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.