Thread: Ashley-Cooper approached for commentary gig as Nine eye off big names

vCash

Ashley-Cooper approached for commentary gig as Nine eye off big names

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...29-p56iwv.html

Can’t believe that Drew Mitchell is being considered and as for Tim Horan!
    Have always liked Sean Mallony and can’t really comment on Adam 2Dads.

Adam Ashley-Cooper has been approached to be one of the faces of Nine’s international rugby coverage next year as the game’s new broadcast partner targets a number of familiar names for a new-look commentary team.

Negotiations are heating up for the services of the country’s best rugby minds as Nine Entertainment - owner of this masthead - prepares to pull together a commentary team to call Wallabies, Super Rugby and club matches from next season until 2023 as part of a new three-year deal with Rugby Australia.

Adam Ashley-Cooper in action for the Wallabies at the 2019 Rugby World Cup.
    Adam Ashley-Cooper in action for the Wallabies at the 2019 Rugby World Cup. CREDIT:AP
    Multiple discussions are occuring between Nine, Stan Sport and potential members of the commentary team, and the rumour mill is in overdrive as to who will be head-hunted for roles in various capacities.

Nine are looking to freshen up the look of rugby broadcasting in Australia, after FoxSports leaned heavily on players who played in the 1990s and early 2000s.
    Advertisement

The Herald understands respected commentator Sean Maloney, who was let go by FoxSports in 2019, is the frontrunner to be the premier caller for Nine and Stan Sport.

One name firming up for a expert comments role is Ashley-Cooper, the former Wallabies great who scored 39 tries in 121 Tests from 2005 to 2019.

Sources close to Ashley-Cooper say the 36-year-old, who appeared at a fourth Rugby World Cup in Japan last year, has been approached by Nine.

Ashley-Cooper is a good judge of the game and while he has not previously worked in TV, many believe Ashley-Cooper has the charisma to be suited to a commentary role.

There are other factors at play for Ashley-Cooper, however, given he is still exploring his on-field options.

The Herald reported in June that Ashley-Cooper was poised to take up a deal with the LA Giltinis in USA’s Major League Rugby.

While no deal has been formally signed yet, Ashley-Cooper is still on track to take up the contract. It has also been reported that another Wallabies stalwart, Matt Giteau, is set to join Ashley-Cooper at LA.

The sticking point with Nine would be how much use they could get out of Ashley-Cooper if he were to be overseas for the first half of the year.

The Wallabies tackle France in July next year but with the MLR season finishing on August 1, Ashley-Cooper could come on board with Nine for remaining matches in the year, including the Bledisloe Cup and Rugby Championship.

Maloney worked as a secondary caller to Greg Clark at Fox Sports for many years, and has been a regular on the World Sevens circuit. As the lead caller for the World Rugby feed at the Rugby World Cup last year, Maloney called the final between South Africa and England.

Former FoxSports presenter Nick McArdle has also been linked with a role, while dual international Sonny Bill Williams is also in discussions with the network for a cross-code commentary gig.

Sources say two-time World Cup winner Tim Horan, who has been a mainstay of FoxSports's rugby coverage for years, is in the box seat to land a gig on the free-to-air network. All Blacks legend Andrew Mehrtens is also in the mix as well, and Drew Mitchell has been approached.

Rugby Australia officials held a long meeting late this week with Nine and Stan executives to discuss how the coverage will look moving forward.

RA has put forward suggestions of commentators it would like to see appear on the box but ultimately Nine has the final decision, many of which will be made in coming weeks.

RELATED ARTICLE
    Lukhan Salakaia-Loto is a chance of returning this weekend.
    Wallabies
    Wallabies realistic about task of beating Pumas by 101 points
    One Super Rugby AU match a week will be shown on free-to-air on Saturday evenings, while the other Friday fixture will be aired on Stan Sport.

The first match of the year kicks off on February 19, with the Queensland Reds squaring off against the NSW Waratahs at Suncorp Stadium.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash
    Cancelled my Kayo today. When the system asked why I was going to another streaming service, I said because Stan had the rugby next year. Hopefully thousands of others put the same reason down and make Fox/Kayo realise the value of our business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Cancelled my Kayo today. When the system asked why I was going to another streaming service, I said because Stan had the rugby next year. Hopefully thousands of others put the same reason down and make Fox/Kayo realise the value of our business.
    I did too. Was just on the free trial after canceling Foxtel a few weeks back. When I did, I mentioned to the wife "I wonder where sports rights will end up". I was wondering how viable Kayo, Stan, Optus Sport etc will be as coverage fragments.
    I intend using them on a subscribe/suspend when I want. I might not even get Stan. It looks a bit like Fox. I can only get SR, if I pay for the rest of their content, which I don't really want. Given, we'll be at every home game, I might be happy with the one FTA match and 3 NRL matches FTA.
    As I've said before here we might look back on Foxtel as the good old days.

Champion
    vCash
    I survived for about 18 months without Fox or Kayo, and discovered Youtube has the highlights of all the big games of rugby and even some full replays like the recent England vs Wales game for free.
    Also I gorge myself on all the history and every other subject I can think of on Youtube for free. And my wife is watching a seemingly never ending amount of movies and series from SBS and ABC streaming services for free.
    I also plan to switch Stan on just for Super rugby and then disconnect.

vCash
    Not a fan of Maloney too shouty and he turned the Fox Rugby show in to a mates’ club.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Not a fan of Maloney too shouty and he turned the Fox Rugby show in to a mates’ club.
    Agree. Bring back McCardle.
    During the Force fiasco he was the only one prepared to ask the hard questions of Clown and his mates, that was until the other clown Kearn and his mates jumped in to stop him.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!