Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: "Warning homosexuals, hell awaits you, repent" - Israel Folau

Player
    vCash
    Perhaps the two most divisive entities in Rugby Union should be sidelined and removed .... The RA board and Religion .

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOSlaX19Zw8

I am the Creator and this is my house!

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Like Bakkies said in the other thread, RA could be facing financial ruin!

Rugby: Israel Folau could be paid not to play by Rugby Australia

3 May, 2019 3:45pm 2 minutes to read
    Israel Folau. Photo / PhotosportIsrael Folau. Photo / Photosport
    NZ Herald
    Controversial Wallaby Israel Folau could be paid not to play by Rugby Australia.

That's the theory of former Wallabies player turned sports administrator Pat Howard as Folau prepares to front a Rugby Australia conduct hearing in Sydney on Saturday in a bid to save his $4m contract.

Folau's future will be decided at a hearing requested by the 30-year-old fullback following his dismissal.

It will be heard behind closed doors in Sydney by a three-member panel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with NZME.
    "I can't see him playing again for Australia," Howard told BBC Sport.

"[But] you can still be paid but not selected."

Howard is an experienced sports administrator who left his position as the high-performance manager of Cricket Australia in November following another high-profile sporting controversy in the country - the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa in March 2018.

"I never like writing anybody off ever, for anything," said Howard, capped 20 times by Australia at rugby union. "There's got to be repercussions and then where he ends up, so be it."

Folau signed a four-year deal with Sydney-based Super Rugby side the Waratahs in March and had a contract with Rugby Australia until 2022, having escaped punishment for similar comments last year.

Rugby Australia said he "had committed a high-level breach of the Professional Players' Code of Conduct warranting termination of his employment contract".

vCash
    I was very close to posting this in the “what makes you smile” thread.

According to a dramatic report in The Daily Telegraph on Saturday, the future of rugby in Australia could be decided if Folau is successful in his challenge of RA’s move to rip up his contract.

The report claims Rugby Australia is privately bracing for a $12 million financial loss for the upcoming season — pushing the code to the brink of collapsing.

RA would face “financial ruin” if it is forced to face a projected $8 million loss and pay out the full $4 million owed to Folau in his long-term contract.

According to The Australian, the legal fees and costs associated with fighting Folau in a conduct hearing and expected follow-up legal challenges through the courts will also cost RA at least $100,000.

A full $12 million hit would leave RA “on the precipice of insolvency,” according to The Daily Telegraph’s Jamie Pandaram.
    https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...44265588556a40

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    How sad, RA Are neck deep on doggy doo. They’re own has turned on them. Had to laugh at the comment that they tried to get Izzy to sign the social media clause AFTER he’d already signed his contract. Wouldn’t you think after tthe first debacle the lawyers could’ve thought about it? How on earth did these muppets do us over?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    How sad, RA Are neck deep on doggy doo. They’re own has turned on them. Had to laugh at the comment that they tried to get Izzy to sign the social media clause AFTER he’d already signed his contract. Wouldn’t you think after tthe first debacle the lawyers could’ve thought about it? How on earth did these muppets do us over?
    Because we mistook them for fine, upstanding, ethical and trustworthy men of rugby.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Because we mistook them for fine, upstanding, ethical and trustworthy men of rugby.
    Men? The woman seem just as dodgy.. Anne Sherry, Raelene Castle, Pup Marlow... its just a hub for corrupt assholes.

vCash
    I hope Izzy wins his case. Not because I care about his apparent persecution complex but solely because it will apparently push Rugby Australia closer to the edge of the financial abyss.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Folau and the Pacific Island players getting torn a new one in L’Equipe mag which has just done a special on fighting homophobia in sport. I guess Folau isnt playing in France either.

News.com.au
    L’Equipe magazine fights against homophobia in sport

JAMES MATTHEY MAY 02, 2019

If his Australian contract is torn up, Israel Folau might want to think twice about heading to French rugby.

As the Wallabies and Waratahs star squares off with Rugby Australia in a code of conduct hearing this weekend to decide his fate after his homophobic Instagram post, he may have one eye on other options should RA win the legal battle and sack him.

Playing in France is an attractive and lucrative option for many Australian rugby stars, particularly later in their careers, but Folau shouldn’t expect the red carpet welcome if he ever steps off a plane and into the terminal at Paris’ Charles de Gaulle airport.

The owner of rugby club Toulon has already labelled the 30-year-old a “moron” and now famous French sports publication L’Equipe has delivered a brutal message to Folau and anyone else who thinks anti-gay sentiment has a place in sport.

In its weekly magazine released this weekend, L’Equipe dedicated a special edition to champion sport’s fight against homophobia. The front cover featured a spectacular photo of two male water polo players — from a film — kissing each other and the title read: “Kiss whoever you want.”

RELATED: Folau leaves after day one of rugby war

RELATED: Unexpected result from Folau stand

Le sport face à l'homophobie en une et tout au cœur d'un numéro spécial du magazine L'Équipe ce samedi https://t.co/AuxExFQnuc pic.twitter.com/vYL0mr99yO

— le magazine L'ÉQUIPE (@lemaglequipe) May 2, 2019
    The issue features pieces on the 2018 homophobic assault of former Welsh rugby captain Gareth Thomas, the tragic tale of openly gay footballer Justin Fashanu, who took his own life aged 37, and the success of gay French shot putter Laurence Manfredi.

In its editorial, the magazine also takes aim at “the stream of abject words, uttered, among others, by a well known Australian rugby player”.

In a section titled “Homophobia: A season of hate”, Folau comes in for another mention as L’Equipe brings to light some of the anti-gay incidents to have plagued sport in recent times.

Among the shame file is boxer Adrien Broner threatening to kill gay people in a video posted on social media, the bizarre world of interviewing at the NFL combine where prospects are sometimes asked if they are gay and French football icon Patrice Evra being investigated by Paris prosecutors for making homophobic remarks towards Paris Saint-Germain after a shock Champions League defeat to his former club Manchester United.

And then there’s Folau, who L’Equipe says has contributed to a “social and cultural crisis” engulfing the Wallabies just months out from the World Cup, pointing to the disconnect between Pacific Island players who have supported Folau and religious freedom, and other teammates who have voiced their disappointment at the dual international for bringing this scandal upon them.

RELATED: Folau bomb will spark walkout

Folau has a fight on his hands to save his career.
    Folau has a fight on his hands to save his career.
    Folau has a fight on his hands to save his career.Source:AFP

Folau is a devout Christian who said in his social media post “hell awaits” gay people unless they repent for their “sins”, and given that context, it’s especially sobering to read the words of Fashanu, who left a suicide note which was referenced in the L’Equipe article.

A born-again Christian, the footballer’s last thoughts read: “I hope the Jesus I love welcomes me home. I will finally find peace there.”

Manfredi, a two-time Olympian, even suggests her sexuality helped her reach the levels she did, saying: “Would I have beaten the French record if I wasn’t gay?”

The cover image is particularly striking, featuring two characters from the film The Shiny Shrimps — a movie which follows the fortunes of a gay water polo team — locking lips.

The photo was taken by Roberto Frankenberg, who said: “To illustrate this sensitive issue, I tried several frames and several postures with them, especially underwater.

“But after taking this photo, it jumped out at me.

“Beyond the homosexual kiss, its poetry comes from the reimagining of a sporting duel, a gesture of confrontation, which brings a second sense to the reading.”

Folau’s landmark code of conduct hearing will continue today after almost eight hours of legal jousting wasn’t enough to resolve the dual international’s bitter dispute with Rugby Australia on Saturday.

Last edited by SPaRTAN; 05-05-19 at 07:08.

vCash
    Folau was offered $1 million to walk away

Wallabies superstar Israel Folau reportedly rejected a peace offering of nearly $1 million to walk away from Rugby Australia as the bitter code of conduct hearing continues in Sydney today.

The Sunday Telegraph revealed that RA made the last-ditch offer to Folau and his legal team earlier this week, hoping to avoid the hearing, which started on Saturday and will continue today, with a decision not expected until midway through next week.

The secret late settlement offer suggests RA may be *seriously concerned about losing their battle against the Wallabies star, who signed a four-year, $4 million contract extension in February.
    https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...f5ac0ef01b0000

vCash
    Wow!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    A different take on how an evangelical christian can handle a professional football career, the obligations that come with it, devotion to faith, and use of social media from a bloke who is doing so successfully despite the on-going embarrassment he inherits.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cra...04-p51k4s.html

Before Israel Folau decided to put religion above all else, Will Hopoate made a great sacrifice, quitting rugby league to undertake a Mormon mission.

He then sacrificed hundreds of thousands of dollars by refusing to play on Sundays.

A portion of his career was played under the leadership of Raelene Castle – who was the Bulldogs boss at the time but is now the head of Rugby Australia. Castle was the Bulldogs boss from July 2013 to August 2017. Hopoate clearly felt comfortable expressing his religious views under her leadership.

Castle had numerous discussions with Folau about his use of social media and his religious views, but it obviously didn’t get through to him. Otherwise he would not be fighting for his $4 million deal.

Hopoate is not a controversial character and does not want to get involved in the Folau issue, but he was prepared to discuss his experiences with Castle and the Bulldogs.

"One thing that I’ve been proud of here at Canterbury is that they have allowed me to live my faith," he said. "There is no pressure ... I’ve been allowed to live my life without any instruction.

"The Izzy thing is a hot topic and a difficult one to say too much about. I’d rather not put myself out there and say something dumb. I know Izzy, but we are not close."

Hopoate’s Instagram is full of his faith. On February 3 he wrote: "I’m Christian ... this doesn’t make me better than anyone, but it helps me be better." On March 3 he wrote: "If church was for perfect people, the chapel would be empty."

It’s a regular theme on his page. He is strong in faith, but he doesn’t force his views on others. After having the club’s blessing for some time not to play on Sundays, there was a rethink.

"In a perfect world, I would like to have Sundays off," he said. "But Canterbury is my employer and I have a commitment to them and I have to do what they ask of me. To play footy, I think I will continue that mode. If I was granted a wish then I wouldn’t [play Sundays], but I’m not kicking stones.

"What has happened has happened and I am moving on from there. I want to keep playing football for as long as I can.

"When I finish I want to be involved in youth work. I have been going around to high schools sharing my journey to the NRL. I know how much my youth leaders shaped my life and what an influence they had on me and I’d like to have that effect on people. I like to talk about resilience and positivity and how to apply that to your life."

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I hope Izzy wins his case. Not because I care about his apparent persecution complex but solely because it will apparently push Rugby Australia closer to the edge of the financial abyss.
    Don’t call them Rugby Australia they are the RA or the ARU. Don’t publish Rugby Australia as they changed their name to absolves themselves of previous mismanagement.

Last edited by Bakkies; 05-05-19 at 18:10.

vCash
    Israel Folau hearing to reconvene on Tuesday

Date published: May 5 2019

Wallaby full-back Israel Folau’s code of conduct hearing will reconvene on Tuesday after there was no resolution following two days of talks in Sydney.

Folau attended a second day of the hearing on Sunday and though a result was not expected to be handed down, that two full days have not been enough to complete the hearing was somewhat of a surprise.

To put the time-frame into context, the last code of conduct hearing of this kind – in 2014 involving Kurtley Beale – was over in a relatively short six hours.

Rugby Australia (RA) CEO Raelene Castle gave more evidence on Sunday, having fronted the hearing on Saturday as well, while NSW Rugby CEO Andrew Hore also spoke on the second day.

The panel of John West QC (chair), Rugby Australia-appointed Kate Eastman SC and the RUPA-appointed John Boultbee will reconvene on Tuesday for another day of the hearing, with still more time required to finalise a written judgement and verdict.

It is not clear exactly when a final decision will be handed down and even after that time, the appeals process could drag the saga out even further.

Folau, Wallabies head coach Michael Cheika and Castle all gave evidence on the opening day of the hearing on Saturday before it was confirmed that the hearing would extend into Sunday.

The process isn’t likely to be cleanly finalised even when a verdict is made public, with both sides having options for appeals

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast