‘It’s pretty surreal!’ Aussie-born rugby star Ian Prior relishing Zimbabwe debut in Africa Cup

By Zim Sport Live -July 16, 20240

Former Australia Under-20 half-back Ian Prior says its been a surreal moment to reconnect with his Zimbabwean roots as he braces for his senior international debut for the Sables in the Africa Cup in Kampala on Saturday.

Prior is expected to start at flyhalf when the Sables take on hosts Uganda in their first match of this year’s Africa Cup.

The 33-year-old former Western Force skipper was born in Queensland, Australia, but his mother comes from Zimbabwe, where he spent his early childhood.

He returned to the African nation for the first time in over two decades a fortnight ago, to join his new team-mates.

He says he has been impressed by the enthusiasm and positive energy within the Zimbabwe setup as they bid to qualify for their first World Cup since 1991.

“It’s pretty surreal, to be honest, I was last here [Zimbabwe] in 2000. So It all feels pretty surreal, to be honest, but very excited to be here with the rest of the Sables,” said Prior.

“There is a lot of great energy in the camp and guys are pretty ambitious with what they want to achieve is both the group and you know for the country and the rugby in this country.”

On the welcome he has received from his new teammates Prior said:

“Everyone’s been very welcoming, very friendly lots of Shona slang words I need to brush up on again that I’m a bit rusty on but It’s all been good fun so far.

“There’s no sort of secret recipe or source it’s pretty basic what you need to be able to you need to work hard as a group spend some good quality time together be resourced well and play for each other.

“At the end of the day, rugby comes down to playing for the person on either side of you, and then obviously the greater purpose of playing for your country is to give people in the nation hope whether it be for sport or any other facet of life. It’s a challenge. That’s one we’re going to walk towards and one that we’re excited to try and take up.”

Prior’s decision to represent Zimbabwe comes after he left Western Force at the end of the 2024 Super Rugby Pacific season.

Now, in the twilight of his career, Prior will bow out with Test caps under his belt, and possibly help the Zimbabweans qualify for their first World Cup since 1991.