Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Match thread: Western Force vs Queensland Reds - Friday April 23 - 5:45 Kick off

vCash

Match thread: Western Force vs Queensland Reds - Friday April 23 - 5:45 Kick off

Following on from the Force vs Waratahs thread.

Kick off 5:45pm on a Friday afternoon is pretty average scheduling

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Consistent, though. Haven't pretty much all the games been 7:45 pm Sydney time?

(Our game in Rd 1 was a double-header, and last weeks' Sunday game are the only ones which aren't, I think.)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Following on from the Force vs Waratahs thread.

Kick off 5:45pm on a Friday afternoon is pretty average scheduling
    JaRGTaN rides again.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    JaRGTaN rides again.
    Bloody office dweller pub goer, won't you think of the children who have to stay up late because they're parents couldn't bring them to a game with an early kick off because they're still at work but it benefits my life perfectly so it's great etc etc

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    My god, the amount of talking up the Force are getting at the moment is insane. It feels like they're trying to get on Twiggy's good side, probably to get some money out of him.

They're now asking the question of when should Dave Wessels be sacked before or after Trans-Tasman?

It all seems a bit much given that the Rebels (whilst being two points behind on the ladder) are in the box seat, playing the easybeats, whereas we're playing number one. We need a win to lock the finals away, they need a win to remain in the hunt.

If we get a bonus point, only a win will be enough for the Rebs.

But how likely is a win for either the Force or the Tahs?

I'd have to say, with my realist hat on, that neither is very likely.
    Yes, the Tahs have been improving, and Yes the Rebels have been playing some pretty dodgy, useless attack, so is it outside the realms o possibility that the Tahs might get up and we make it into the finals, well no, it isn't, but I wouldn't bet 17 Million Vdollars on it.

Yes the Force are playing well, Yes we've looked like the only team that can unsettle the Reds and there might be a chance that they come in underdone, since they have already locked away the home final and bye week. It isn't outside the realms of possibility that the Force win (and any win is enough), I'd probably bet a few Million VDollars on it, but not everything, since its a long shot.

There are various scenarios where the Force lose and still make it in, but they are pretty limited and odd.

A Force Draw would require the Rebels to Win to Equal, if they did win, Points differential would see them through
    A Force Draw with three tries more than the Reds would lock us in, but that seems even less likely than beating the Reds.

Our best bet is for the Tahs to be given a sympathetic ref and take out an upset victory on Saturday night. I say it's our best bet, because it's the most likely of the unlikely outcomes. NSW powerbrokers have been bleating the fiction about the Tahs being the only Aussie team to make it to the end of a Super Rugby Season without a win for weeks now and I'm sure that everybody involved at the top level of the game is looking for the Tahs to pull off a fairytale ending and write their players' names into the "must be a Wallaby" book. Rugby Heaven was positively fizzing at the bung at the prospect of the Tahs beating the Rebels, making big statements about the loss of Hodge, the negligible chances of Haylett Petty returning, the lack of confidence the team themselves display in their attack and any other possible reason why the Tahs could beat them.

Now I'm aware that the show is shamelessly aimed at Sydney and they're trying to play to their audience. I'm not sure they've realised that audience has essentially switched off rugby and certainly won't be watching midweek shows on Stan Sport. They might, begrudgingly, tune into the FTA broadcast, but have a pretty active appointment washing their hair, just in case the first 20 minutes don't look good.

I suspect I'll be cheering the Tahs on Saturday night (and likely in need of a shower immediately after the game)

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I didn't think we had draws any more- doesn't it go to extra time?

Hosea is out for the Rebels. That is a big loss.

I reckon the Tahs could do it at home. If their forwards get parity, which they should, it is at least a 50-50. There is certainly less pressure on them than there is the Rebels.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I didn't think we had draws any more- doesn't it go to extra time?

Hosea is out for the Rebels. That is a big loss.

I reckon the Tahs could do it at home. If their forwards get parity, which they should, it is at least a 50-50. There is certainly less pressure on them than there is the Rebels.
    And the Rebels aren't noted for scoring tries, therefore reliant upon receiving penalties to score. In the current media climate, it's pretty unlikely that they will get kickable penalties out of a hometown ref, with the commentators pushing for a redemptive win, the NSWRU looking to further paper over the cracks and Rugby Australia managing referee appointments.

I predict Graham Cooper will get the gig, followed by all the finals matches (assuming the Tahs win)

but maybe my tinfoil hat is too tight today

C'mon the

vCash
    I think the Tahs are a fair shot to get the win as well. Losing Hosea is pretty big for the Rebels and apparently DHP isn't going to be back. The Rebels backline certainly doesn't seem to be firing except for Koroibete.

The Tahs have looked a lot better since getting Gordon back and their backline does look dangerous, especially with Perese hitting some form. Donaldson looked a real prospect last week. As James says, they just need to get parity in the forwards and their backs should be able to get them over the line.

vCash
    My suspicions awoke as soon as the Shifty Subcontinental started talking up the Reds dodgy record at HBF Park. Whatta qoukka shit.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    My suspicions awoke as soon as the Shifty Subcontinental started talking up the Reds dodgy record at HBF Park. Whatta qoukka shit.
    I still put vcash on the line though, more of a hope thing than anything.I think we'll lose bravely and hope the tahs can complete the upset.

C'mon the

vCash
    Likewise Gigs, although I'll also be in need of a shower afterwards

vCash
    Friday 23 April 7:45pm AEST – Western Force v Queensland Reds at HBF Park,ad-free, live and on demand on Stan Sport.

Irish legend Rob Kearney is a welcome return for the Force at fullback after overcoming a hamstring injury suffered in their previous clash with the Reds.

He is joined in the starting line-up by Toni Pulu, which pushes Richard Kahui and Jack McGregor back to the bench.

Along with this, Greg Holmes comes back into the starting side for Santiago Medrano as he prepares to once again face his old team.

Meanwhile, the Reds will be boosted by the return of centre Hunter Paisami, who missed their clash with the Brumbies due to a calf injury.

Thorn said Paisami (calf) had proved his fitness and was ready to be a threat with ball in hand or making his trademark dominant tackles.

Winger Jock Campbell has been left out to nurse a groin niggle.

Thorn's high regard for the energy and non-stop workrate of Angus Scott-Young meant finding a pack spot for him even away from the now-crowded backrow where Liam Wright returns as captain.

Scott-Young is at lock while two players who have filled that position this season, Seru Uru and Ryan Smith, are on the bench.

Thorn explained that recalled winger Filipo Daugunu had tidied up his game after being guilty of too many errors.

FORCE (1-15): Tom Robertson, Feleti Kaitu'u, Greg Holmes, Jeremy Thrush, Sitaleki Timani, Tim Anstee, Kane Koteka, Brynard Stander, Tomas Cubelli, Domingo Miotti, Jordan Olowofela, Kyle Godwin (c), Tevita Kuridrani, Toni Pulu, Rob Kearney

Reserves: Andrew Ready, Angus Wagner, Santiago Medrano, Ryan McCauley, Fergus Lee-Warner, Ian Prior, Richard Kahui, Jack McGregor

INs: Toni Pulu, Rob Kearney

OUTs: Grason Makara, Jake Strachan

REDS(1-15): Feao Fotuaika, Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Taniela Tupou, Angus Scott-Young, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Liam Wright (c), Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Tate McDermott, James O'Connor, Filipo Daugunu, Hamish Stewart, Hunter Paisami, Jordan Petaia, Bryce Hegarty

Reserves: Alex Mafi, Richie Asiata, Zane Nonggorr, Ryan Smith, Seru Uru, Kalani Thomas, Josh Flook, Ilaisa Droasese

INs: Hunter Paisami, Ilaisa Droasese

OUTs: Jock Campbell, Lawson Creighton

vCash
    Both team sheets look very strong - unfortunately doesn't look like the Reds are resting any of their big names even though this is a dead rubber for them.

Tough dropping Kahui to the bench after he killed it last week and likewise Strachan who was very good off the bench. But great to have 2 very dangerous players on our wings with Pulu back.

Liam Wright back into the Reds 15 is pretty big for them - balances their backrow nicely.

Hopefully we've been working on our attack and the backline is under instructions to square their shoulders, straighten and draw the defense before passing, rather than the sideways shovelling that's been a trademark of our attack so far this year. An inside ball or two wouldn't go astray either. If we can manage that, we're a change of an upset (albeit an outside chance).

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Thrush starting is a real surprise. A welcome one. Scott-Young opposing is pretty surprising too. Hope they are taking us lightly. Just about the strongest starting line-up we could field. Bring it on!

vCash
    With ASY and LSL as the second row the Reds lack height for the line-out. Hopefully Timani and Thrush can pinch some ball.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast