Page 55 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

vCash
    If you're with Telstra you can get 2 months for $5 which is better than the 14 day free trial

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Thanks Jargs, I am with Telstra and will give it a go.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    This afternoon, I went to watch my grandson play under14 school rugby for Hale against ""Oldham"" from Singapore. I had a brief chat to one of the Oldham coaches and also to my grandson, and did a bit of a google on Oldham. I thought the coach said the side was was an ""outreach"" program by the Oldham old boys club, but my grandson was under the impression it was their school side.
    Anyway, the Oldham forwards held their own against the Hale forwards, but the smaller Oldham backs eventually could not hold out the bigger Hale backs as the game wore on. The cold wet weather was a problem for the Oldham boys as well I think. Still a solid and very impressive effort by Oldham, considering that Hale U14 are unbeaten against the the other Perth private schools so far this year.
    My grandson said after the game, he chatted to one of the boys, who told him they play rugby all year round and train for 3 hours a day.

The whole side and all the coaches were Asians, so rugby is alive and looks like it is growing in Singapore. The coach was enthusiastic about GRR and had been to the games in Singapore.

Twiggy and GRR are on the right rugby track for the future in Asia.

I think Oldham are playing the Southern Lions U14 club side in Perth on Thursday.

Can anybody tell us more about this Oldham side?

https://www.oldhamhall.org/
    http://www.blueskiescom.com/alumni/f..._17/rugby.html
    I mentioned this Oldham tour on the PR forum, and one of the guys well involved with rugby over there gave a bit of info on them.

http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtop...78101#p6078085

Sinkers is a knowlegable guy on the Singapore scene - add a post yourself if you'd like to post a question.

vCash
    Whats going on with Waynes Smith- some positive input from him on GRR.
    Familiar faces in GRR’s east coast debut
    Henry Stowers of the Force runs the ball into the Samoan defence during a Global Rapid Rugby match in Perth last month. Picture: Getty Images
    Henry Stowers of the Force runs the ball into the Samoan defence during a Global Rapid Rugby match in Perth last month. Picture: Getty Images
    WAYNE SMITH
    SENIOR SPORT WRITER

12:00AM JUNE 15, 20193 COMMENTS
    Global Rapid Rugby comes to the Australian east coast for the first time — and at an approved Rugby Australia hour — when the Western Force takes on the Kagifa Samoa side at Ballymore this afternoon.

In order to get permission from RA to stage the series, Andrew Forrest’s GRR were obliged to make a commitment that they would not cut across any of the four Australian Super Rugby matches, so the debut east coast match has been targeted for 3.30pm, well in advance of the evening’s only Super Rugby fixture involving local sides, the Brumbies against the Queensland Reds in Canberra.

That’s not to say that the match will not impact on Premier Rugby fixtures but with the GRR hiring the ground, that was a trade-off the cash-strapped Queensland Rugby Union was happy to accept.

READ NEXT

HEALTH
    Early trauma brain-altering
    SEAN PARNELL
    The GRR format — with clever use of pre-match entertainment, games limited to 70 minutes and the tedious scrum posturing dramatically curtailed — might not be familiar to Queensland fans but chances are they will warm to it quickly. No doubt the same will apply to the free admission.

For Rod Davies, the Force’s *dynamic left winger, it will be a long-awaited homecoming. He started out at the Reds in 2009 and was one of the most prominent contributors to their historic Super Rugby title in 2011, on the back of which he was selected for his one and only Test, against — funnily enough — Samoa. He scored two tries against Kagifa Samoa off the bench at the end of last month when the Rebels inflicted a 63-5 defeat on the islanders and now that he has been promoted to the starting side, he will be hoping to at least emulate that this afternoon.

Another familiar face returning to his home state is reserve hooker Andrew Ready, one of the players let go by Reds boss Brad Thorn. There was a time when it seemed he could even press for Wallabies status and he will surely be keen to demonstrate to Queenslanders how the move to Perth has benefited him.

Tighthead Kieran Longbottom, a member of the Force side from their days in Super Rugby, is the glue binding the Perth pack *together and certainly they will need to stay tight and solid if they are to repulse the Samoan maul.

“They maul a lot, so for us we need to take that apart,” Longbottom said. “They use that as a weapon and we need to take that away from them.”

There is nothing at all secret about the Samoans’ other primary weapon. From the days of Brian Lima, known throughout the rugby world as The Chiropractor — because of the way he rearranges the bones of people he tackles — the Samoans have always been renowned for their defence and though the scoreline in the first match suggests it was a cakewalk, for long periods the islanders defended their line courageously.

WAYNE SMITHSENIOR SPORT WRITER

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    I mentioned this Oldham tour on the PR forum, and one of the guys well involved with rugby over there gave a bit of info on them.

Sinkers is a knowlegable guy on the Singapore scene - add a post yourself if you'd like to post a question.
    Sounds pretty good and the sort of thing a new professional organisation could usefully get behind and support, rather than either try to take over or duplicate. Some assistance and encouragement could go a very long way in helping bed in a new team and establish a development structure.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post
    Thanks Jargs, I am with Telstra and will give it a go.
    Go via the Telstra app that’s where I saw the offer in the rewards section.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Whats going on with Waynes Smith- some positive input from him on GRR.
    Familiar faces in GRR’s east coast debut
    WAYNE SMITH
    SENIOR SPORT WRITER

12:00AM JUNE 15, 20193 COMMENTS
    Global Rapid Rugby comes to the Australian east coast for the first time — and at an approved Rugby Australia hour — when the Western Force takes on the Kagifa Samoa side at Ballymore this afternoon.

In order to get permission from RA to stage the series, Andrew Forrest’s GRR were obliged to make a commitment that they would not cut across any of the four Australian Super Rugby matches, so the debut east coast match has been targeted for 3.30pm, well in advance of the evening’s only Super Rugby fixture involving local sides, the Brumbies against the Queensland Reds in Canberra.

That’s not to say that the match will not impact on Premier Rugby fixtures but with the GRR hiring the ground, that was a trade-off the cash-strapped Queensland Rugby Union was happy to accept.

READ NEXT

HEALTH
    Early trauma brain-altering
    SEAN PARNELL
    The GRR format — with clever use of pre-match entertainment, games limited to 70 minutes and the tedious scrum posturing dramatically curtailed — might not be familiar to Queensland fans but chances are they will warm to it quickly. No doubt the same will apply to the free admission.

For Rod Davies, the Force’s *dynamic left winger, it will be a long-awaited homecoming. He started out at the Reds in 2009 and was one of the most prominent contributors to their historic Super Rugby title in 2011, on the back of which he was selected for his one and only Test, against — funnily enough — Samoa. He scored two tries against Kagifa Samoa off the bench at the end of last month when the Rebels inflicted a 63-5 defeat on the islanders and now that he has been promoted to the starting side, he will be hoping to at least emulate that this afternoon.

Another familiar face returning to his home state is reserve hooker Andrew Ready, one of the players let go by Reds boss Brad Thorn. There was a time when it seemed he could even press for Wallabies status and he will surely be keen to demonstrate to Queenslanders how the move to Perth has benefited him.

Tighthead Kieran Longbottom, a member of the Force side from their days in Super Rugby, is the glue binding the Perth pack *together and certainly they will need to stay tight and solid if they are to repulse the Samoan maul.

“They maul a lot, so for us we need to take that apart,” Longbottom said. “They use that as a weapon and we need to take that away from them.”

There is nothing at all secret about the Samoans’ other primary weapon. From the days of Brian Lima, known throughout the rugby world as The Chiropractor — because of the way he rearranges the bones of people he tackles — the Samoans have always been renowned for their defence and though the scoreline in the first match suggests it was a cakewalk, for long periods the islanders defended their line courageously.

WAYNE SMITHSENIOR SPORT WRITER
    AND he put in an enthusiastic detailed match report
    Maybe he felt compelled to as it’s at ballymore

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post

Hi Kiap and Sinkers,
    Thanks for the feedback about the Oldham side that toured Perth recently. It great to hear about the passion for rugby in Singapore. Makes me even sure GRR are on right track for the future of rugby.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wallabydarnd View Post
    AND he put in an enthusiastic detailed match report
    Maybe he felt compelled to as it’s at ballymore
    Perhaps, but there's been a few of us requesting more recognition of GRR on his other articles so maybe Wayne (or his editors) have listened.

Player
    vCash
    Did I hear Sean Maloney doing commentary on one of the games? Thought I was imagining it but just read that he has been let go by Fox as part of their cuts. Great pickup if that’s the case, I always liked his commentary and was a force supporter when in the box.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DazloT View Post
    Did I hear Sean Maloney doing commentary on one of the games? Thought I was imagining it but just read that he has been let go by Fox as part of their cuts. Great pickup if that’s the case, I always liked his commentary and was a force supporter when in the box.
    Andrew Swain has also sat on as a commentator at times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DazloT View Post
    Cant stand him to be fair.

I was hoping we would start hearing from some of the guys who commentated for World Series Rugby again. There were some decent ones last year.

Player
    vCash
    Has anyone been keeping or know where some stats around line outs per game could be found for the exhibition series so far. At least anecdotally it appears to me to be roughly a halving of the overall line outs in the game. Which when you consider that each line out tends to take around a minute. Knowing the numbers could give us an indicator on any increase in ball in play time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Has anyone been keeping or know where some stats around line outs per game could be found for the exhibition series so far. At least anecdotally it appears to me to be roughly a halving of the overall line outs in the game. Which when you consider that each line out tends to take around a minute. Knowing the numbers could give us an indicator on any increase in ball in play time.
    Doesn't espn scrum.com log this information? Not sure if GRR games have been tracked on it though..

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Doesn't espn scrum.com log this information? Not sure if GRR games have been tracked on it though..
    Haven't been able to find anything on there about it.

Page 55 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 ... LastLast