Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Axe hangs over Giteau, Mitchell after latest flop

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Axe hangs over Giteau, Mitchell after latest flop

Axe hangs over Giteau, Mitchell after latest flop

GREG GROWDEN

June 28, 2010
    Double trouble ... Australia's Luke Burgess celebrates after scoring one of his two tries against Ireland in Brisbane on Saturday night. Photo: Getty Images

SENIOR Wallabies Drew Mitchell and Matt Giteau may lose their places in the starting XV for the Tri Nations tournament next month as Australia searches for ways to revitalise their sputtering attack.
    A concerted push has begun to reunite Berrick Barnes at inside-centre with his former Queensland midfield partner Quade Cooper, while Mitchell's poor form on the wing in the past two Test matches has dramatically improved the hopes of the likes of Lachie Turner and Peter Hynes earning a recall.
    Winger Digby Ioane's direct running was sorely missed during the Wallabies' uninspiring 22-15 win over Ireland at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night and the sooner he overcomes his shoulder problems the better.
    A back-line reshuffle for the Tri Nations, which starts for the Wallabies against South Africa in Brisbane on July 24, is also expected to include Adam Ashley-Cooper at either outside-centre or fullback. And despite dramatic improvement in Luke Burgess's game, Will Genia will regain the Test halfback spot when he overcomes his broken thumb.
    The Wallabies' selection panel of Robbie Deans, Jim Williams and David Nucifora are mindful that Australia's best performance this month was the win over England in Perth - and it hasn't been forgotten that the No.10-12 combination that night was Cooper-Barnes. Before Barnes joined the Waratahs this season, he played many games alongside Cooper at the Reds and, compared with Giteau, appears far more comfortable combining with the unpredictable pivot, who received another man-of-the-match award on Saturday night.
    While Giteau and Mitchell, who between them have played 126 Tests, are certain to make the 30-man Tri Nations squad when it is announced on July 8, they are no certainties for the starting line-up.
    Cooper's spot will be determined on Friday when he appears in a Gold Coast court on a burglary charge.
    Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said Giteau would work on his goalkicking over the next few weeks after having to share the duties with Cooper against Ireland.
    Deans said Giteau had some technical issues to fix up with his goalkicking, after he struggled against England in Sydney and missed his first shot against Ireland, before proving successful with the next two.
    ''He's been kicking for so long now, so he knows what he's not doing correctly,'' Deans said. ''He is going through a speed bump … no doubt about that. And he's allowed it to affect his mental process. That happens even to the best.''
    In spite of the gloom caused by the loss to England in Sydney and the lacklustre outing against Ireland, Deans remained relatively buoyant. ''I'm pretty proud of the effort of the group over the last month. Sure we didn't win every Test, but we have seen the emergence of some players who are going to be here for a while,'' Deans said.
    ''And they emerged through some pretty trying circumstances. Last night, you saw their growth. You've also seen a bloke play his first Test match on Australian soil at No.10, and he's clearly going to be part of this for awhile.''
    Not surprisingly Cooper, the standout player in the past four Tests, received a special mention. Ashley-Cooper explained why.
    ''The defence is just waiting for him to play. That's the best thing about being outside him because the opposition know he is going to create something. For me, it is a case of waiting for him to create something and running off him,'' Ashley-Cooper said. ''There was a bit of uncertainty last night. There was a back-line play where myself and James O'Connor had no idea what Quade was doing. He switched James and then I had no idea what James was doing. But that's great because it brings out that uncertainty to their defence, as well as bringing a lot of creativity to our attack.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...0627-zbyv.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Cross could be called up with Chambers and Horne out injured

vCash
    Adam Ashley Cooper looked better at 13 then Horne has so far.
    I hope either adam 2 dads or digby play outside centre. Chambers deserved a crack against fiji through to ireland. bit of a gamble throwing him in against the AB's and boks.
    Peter Hynes to step in if any position frees up on the wing. I much prefer h im then turner. I would continue to run with mitchell. he'll come good. As much as i hate his tendencey to go overboard with kicks ,Barnes in for giteau. the backine has been a shambles since he came back. Drop Beale all together.
    While brownie makes a good flanker i think he's not as effective at 8 by international standards. hoilles isnt any improvement either, backwards actually.
    While mumm and chisolm were effective at the set piece they were spectators in general play. we really missed sharpie out there. i hope vickerman does decide to play next year. Sharpie and vickerman with horwill as back up is pretty safe.

vCash
    get Turner in the wing! he is way better under the high ball

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Sharpie and vickerman with horwill as back up is pretty safe.
    Sharpe is doing just fine running the lineout - and the team a lot of the time. Vickerman, good as he was is only a year younger than him. Provided Mumm & Co develop, I would not be bringing Vickerman back into that leader's role. I'd have Kev gradually taking over. Vickerman would have to earn a spot in the squad and commit to stay on for a while after RWC.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Haji View Post
    Adam Ashley Cooper looked better at 13 then Horne has so far.
    I hope either adam 2 dads or digby play outside centre. Chambers deserved a crack against fiji through to ireland. bit of a gamble throwing him in against the AB's and boks.
    Peter Hynes to step in if any position frees up on the wing. I much prefer h im then turner. I would continue to run with mitchell. he'll come good. As much as i hate his tendencey to go overboard with kicks ,Barnes in for giteau. the backine has been a shambles since he came back. Drop Beale all together.
    While brownie makes a good flanker i think he's not as effective at 8 by international standards. hoilles isnt any improvement either, backwards actually.
    While mumm and chisolm were effective at the set piece they were spectators in general play. we really missed sharpie out there. i hope vickerman does decide to play next year. Sharpie and vickerman with horwill as back up is pretty safe.
    Yeah i agree, Barnes - AAC centre pairing, Giteau is just struggling to readapt to playing at inside centre. Chambers is out injured for the season after shoulder surgery.

Mitchell doesnt deserved to be dropped, maybe a Mitchell - Hynes/Turner wing pairing with JOC at fullback, the 3 are largely interchangable then.

Forward pack needs a shake up IMO, Browny isnt a test number 8, either is Hoiles(98kg) maybe something radical needs to be done like moving Elsom to number 8, bringing Mumm to blindside and then playing another big lock with Sharpe, someone like Simmons whos 115kg, not this lighweight crap.

If we cant have a big number 8, then at least at the bulk where we can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Forward pack needs a shake up IMO, Browny isnt a test number 8, either is Hoiles(98kg) maybe something radical needs to be done like moving Elsom to number 8, bringing Mumm to blindside and then playing another big lock with Sharpe, someone like Simmons whos 115kg, not this lighweight crap.
    How about Elsom at 8, DROP MUMM and bring the best blindside in Australia Matty Hodgson in. Richie McCaw will be shaking in his boots.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Giteau should be left at 12, he just had an off game and we will need him against NZ. The outside backs need to be fixed first. AAC to 13 and Hynes/Turner should be given the wing spots for the next game.

Champion
    vCash
    Thought Deans should have subbed Giteau for Barnes with about 20 to go on Saturday

vCash
    How is Sheps going in shute Shield? AAC could slot in to 13, JOC stay at 15 & Sheps in to the 22 jersey (at first). Then he can replace 11 or 14 or 15 if need be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    How about Elsom at 8, DROP MUMM and bring the best blindside in Australia Matty Hodgson in. Richie McCaw will be shaking in his boots.
    it doesnt make sense to make the forward pack any lighter when the issue is that they are currently lacking the power to get across the advantage line.. Hodgson wont start at blindside, if anything he will get a chance as starting openside, but obviously that will be at the expense of Pocock.

vCash
    Hodgo has been pretty consistent at getting the ball over the advantage line this year. boy has no respect for his body at all......nothing to do with size. all about attitude. Digby aint the biggest bloke on the pitch either.......

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So we replace Brown (106kg) with Elsom (106kg)?

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah, he really isnt that small... whats fumble hands number 8? 120 kegs?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Who? Palu?

Does a heartlidge every time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast