Thread: Sharpe end of a Force to be reckoned with

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sharpe end of a Force to be reckoned with

Phil Wilkins | February 29, 2008

IF THE Western Force rise above the oxygen starvation zone of Ellis Park in Johannesburg and win their second game in South Africa, against the Lions, the players will inevitably turn to the "Lighthouse", the man who symbolises the success of the franchise.

Matt Giteau is the flintstone for fireworks within the Force but the shaven skull of Nathan Sharpe remains the beacon of inspiration for all at the club.

When John Mitchell completed his term as coach of New Zealand after the 2003 World Cup and threw in his lot with the Force in 2005, the first man he signed was Test hooker Brendan Cannon, veteran of campaigns for the Reds and the Waratahs since 1994. The second player he pursued was Sharpe, the two-metre tall, Wagga Wagga-born, Rockingham-based giant, then apparently bedded down happily in the scrums of the Reds and Test teams.

Cannon recalled spending hours discussing with his Test teammate the challenges lying ahead of the Force, knowing that while his own career was winding down, Sharpe's international pathway was shining and the move could jeopardise his future.

Now back in Brisbane as a management consultant and television critic, Cannon said of Sharpe: "He is always such a good guy to play with, so revered by teammates. I think he has really come of age since leaving Queensland and becoming such a central figure at the Force.

"I think he was the Pied Piper who attracted players to the Force. All players look to Nathan. They respected and admired the fact that if he was prepared to make the decision, the big call, they saw the merit in it.

"I think the majority of the player group we secured in that inaugural squad was not simply down to John Mitchell, but to Nathan Sharpe. The attitude became 'if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me'.

"His integrity and loyalty are second to none. He is the guy you just want to be with when you run on the footy field. It was a real thrill for me to be part of the side in the latter stages of my career.

"I spent, almost literally, every waking moment in that initial recruitment period pressuring Sharpey to come on board.

"I think he was relieved in some ways that I had signed. It was a massive decision for all of us but in many ways he had more to lose.

"I'd like to think that the only way he could get me off his back was to come on board. I am so relieved he made the decision. The Force are so much better for it."
    Cannon spoke of Sharpe's power within the scrum, his ability to play the tight game and commandeer the ball in lineouts, and how he stood alone of the big men for his mobility in the open with his "vast array of skills".

But it is the other side of Sharpe which is of even greater inspiration, the command of temperament and self when others around him in the most hostile representative environment are losing their senses, that stamps his leadership.

The true giant of the man then emerges, the mental strength and decency of a champion, just as it did with his great predecessor, John Eales.

Still waters run deep with both Sharpe and his brooding, volatile coach Mitchell.
    Cannon said of Mitchell: "He is a fantastic coach. His vision and his philosophy on how to play the game are really invigorating.

"He has always had this squad mentality. He believes at any given time anyone in his squad is worthy of stepping up to the starting XV, and the transition should be smooth.

"Many coaches would not change a winning side from the previous week but John Mitchell likes to keep his squad fresh, reward his players and keep everyone on his toes."

He has certainly achieved that for the huge forward struggle with the Lions, giving Luke Holmes his first starting berth as hooker, with Troy Takiari as tight-head and restoring Gareth Hardy to loose-head as well as promoting Tamaiti Horua and Matt Hodgson to the pack.

Mitchell, Sharpe and the Force will never die wondering.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Still waters run deep with both Sharpe and his brooding, volatile coach Mitchell.
    Volatile? VOLATILE? What the hell are you on Phil? Or are you the wanker he shut down when everybody was on his case about selecting Henjak to tour SA

C'mon the

vCash
    Chill out gigs, the whole article was actually quite pro-Force, if one line is enough to send you into a frenzy then take another sedative bro...Go to your happy place...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    BACK OFF MY SHARPIE! he's a Rocko boy.........I'll go 'im, I will!

On another note, has anybody noticed that much of the media is gettign either pro Force or Western who? right now.

I was startign to get a bit dirty with inside Rugby last night when there wasn't even a mention of the in the first half hour of the program.....Did you see Kafe's Chalkboard, where he bagged the 'Australian' teams for playing the free kick by uselessly booting the ball up the field and getting it run back in their face, then showed how it should be done with KIWI teams......this after bagging Cam and Drew for counterattacking too much in week one!

I think he needs to make up his mind and not just find a common thing that went wrong with a couple of teams and apply it to the whole lot.

Last edited by GIGS20; 29-02-08 at 07:25.
    C'mon the

vCash
    I was a bit pissed off with Inside Rugby last night as well. The fact they went to NZ and SA before a huge 2 minutes with the Force ground my gears as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I was a bit pissed off with Inside Rugby last night as well. The fact they went to NZ and SA before a huge 2 minutes with the Force ground my gears as well
    They did that the week before as well....

vCash
    We're playing too well on tour for the Eastern States media to acknowledge.....You watch, if we win this week, it'll be worse, If we lose, we'll be splashed all over the media with "Couldn't even beat the lions after a 50 point thrashing by the 'Saders"

Bloody Hypocrites, when the other Aussie teams have had a dream start to the season, and haven't done all that much with it!

C'mon the

vCash
    I didnt see it the week before. I could have sworn the Force were an Aussie super 14 side? You wouldn't have thought so watching Inside Rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I didnt see it the week before. I could have sworn the Force were an Aussie super 14 side? You wouldn't have thought so watching Inside Rugby
    The week before they basically ran through the entire show then had a pre-recorded bit with Nathan Sharpe I think...besides that everything was run over pretty quickly...

vCash
    Ahhh yes, i saw the interview with Sharpie when i was at the shops, but that was all i saw