Thread: Western Force future assured, says Rugby Australia director Scott Johnson

Champion
    vCash

Western Force future assured, says Rugby Australia director Scott Johnson

Interesting line midway through this story.

Western Force future assured, says Rugby Australia director Scott Johnson
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Wed, 9 September 2020 3:40PM

Western Force have secured their place in the sport’s future, according to Rugby Australia’s director of rugby Scott Johnson.
    Johnson was not surprised by how competitive the side was in trying conditions in the Australian Super Rugby competition and having players picked for the Wallabies training squad was just reward.
    The Force were controversially axed by RA three years ago but Johnson said: “They are part of the rugby landscape of Australia.
    “From a rugby standpoint I see them as being a part of us.
    “We’d like to think they are part of the future. It’s good to have them around that’s for sure.”
    Johnson echoed the sentiments of new RA chairman Hamish McLennan.
    McLennan told thewest.com.au in July, after the Force had been invited back into Super Rugby: “I envisage they will be in for the long term.”
    Reports that the Force could relocate to New Zealand to play in their Super Rugby competition next year have been dismissed by insiders as “drawing a very, very long bow”.
    The Force were winless but always competitive in the Super competition and were left heartbroken on a couple of occasions, particularly after the last minute 34-30 loss in the final game to the Melbourne Rebels.
    “They didn’t surprise me. I was very, very pleased. They added to the tournament because they were competitive,” Johnson said.
    “They were always going to be competitive if they didn’t get excessive injuries
    “They were competitive right to the bitter end. It could have easy not to show up in that last game but to get that result was testament to everyone involved.
    “Everything about it said so much about the people involved.
    “It reflects well on the coaching team, on the people overseeing the program as much as the players.
    “It was an arduous time and you judge people at the heavy and hard times.
    “It wasn’t easy, they never complained, they got on with it. They should be congratulated.”
    Three players, No.8 Brynard Stander, hooker Feleti Kaitu’u and centre Kyle Godwin have been called into the Wallabies extended training squad. Others are knocking on the door.
    “That’s reward for good effort. They certainly grabbed our attention enough to say let’s have a good look,” Johnson said.
    “The beauty of the Force is they uncover people who were locked out on the east coast and give them a future as well as produce their own talent.”

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    “The beauty of the Force is they uncover people who were locked out on the east coast and give them a future as well as produce their own talent.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I would suggest that those insiders are all based in a certain palace in the expensive suburbs of Sydney and think that the force are grateful to be given the scraps off the rugby Australia table.

I'm happiest with hodgeos statement that they're looking at all options and will make the decision that's best for rugby in WA.

I'd like to think that would look like a development team preparing for the reboot of GRR a team involved in a super rugby iteration of some sort and some arrangement where a significant number of academy/development places are held for WA juniors.

I think a grr force comprising mainly up and coming WA lads would be great for grr at the moment and possibly used that squad as depth for the main squad which plays in Sr (whether it be au or nz)

It would require less recruiting in the short term for us to play srau but would be better for player development in the long term to pla srnz

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    And the E coast then steal them back

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    And the E coast then steal them back
    That will slow down as players realize that there is a direct Wallabies pathway. And the Force culture.

The Tom Robertson signing is a great step in the right direction.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I think GIGS is on the money with his assessment of who the "insiders" might be. For a realistic appraisal of the Force's future you don't get much more "inside" than Hodgo. And you can take what he says at face value.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I think GIGS is on the money with his assessment of who the "insiders" might be. For a realistic appraisal of the Force's future you don't get much more "inside" than Hodgo. And you can take what he says at face value.
    I actually think it's more likely to be Force "insiders". Let's not forget Wayne Smith wrote the other story - and is he trustworthy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    I actually think it's more likely to be Force "insiders". Let's not forget Wayne Smith wrote the other story - and is he trustworthy?
    Yep. Wayne Smith wrote the article but Hodgo's words were presented as direct quotes. Although Smith may have simply put a Dorothy Fixer to him about next year, I suppose. Pretty common journo trick.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The problem is, every time RA says that, it only invites reflection on the last time they said exactly the same thing. Times and faces may have changed, but I hope no-one that matters forgets that they could change back just as quickly. Hopefully there will now always be second (and even third) strings to the bow.

Champion
    vCash
    The big question is, without a TV contract (or with a drastically reduced one in the end), how is the RA going to pay the Tahs, Reds, Brumbies and Rebels players. ?
    Is the future of Super AU assured Mr Johnson?

vCash
    The reality we are in is that no one knows anything on how we’re to plan around Covid for at least another year. Ideally there should at least be an Aus domestic comp, which would keep rugby in Aus ticking over, but the complete inadequacy of RA to organise anything but a shit fight may leave the Force with no other option but to join NZ. I think it would be a good learning challenge for the Force & I bet they’d love it, apart from logistics of hubs & travel. But WA’s hard border & NZ’s could also work in our favour? RA sound like they’re either pooh poohing the idea or they’re starting to shit themselves that Twiggy’s not that fussed on joining the SR mob. The guys still need to play rugby - tread our own path.

vCash
    Our future is assured? Oh wow, that's all right then!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Our future is assured? Oh wow, that's all right then!
    Yeah, we can rest assured now. The Director of Rugby has spoken.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    The reality is that GRR as we were only just getting to know it - for the single round in 2020 - may never get going again.
    The China - Hong Kong situation, the Valke going broke, the impact of Covid19 on the economies in Fiji and Samoa, travel restrictions, etc

The bona fides of the Tattarang team are well established.
    We should have no doubt that they will continue to act in accordance with the best interests pf rugby in WA.

GO THE FORCE IN 2021!!

Last edited by andrewg; 11-09-20 at 13:18.

vCash
    Haven't we heard that before?