Thread: Israel Folau set for league return with Tonga

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Israel Folau set for league return with Tonga

Matt Encarnacion
    AAP
    September 23, 2019 4:51PM

Israel Folau appears set for a stunning return to rugby league after reportedly being registered to play for Tonga in their two Test matches later this year.

The Tongan National Rugby League is believed to have confirmed Folau and his brother John will feature against Great Britain and the Kangaroos.

"I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to represent God, my family, my heritage and the people of Tonga," Folau said, according to the New Zealand Herald.

The development comes four months after Folau's lucrative contract with Rugby Australia was controversially terminated for breaching its code of conduct.

Folau, 30, was deemed guilty of breaching the code over his social media posts which claimed homosexuals are going to hell.

However the dual-international is now attempting a comeback to the 13-a-side game with Tonga, who face Great Britain in Hamilton on October 26.

The Mate Ma'a meet Australia in Auckland on November 2.

"I am thankful that the RLIF have accepted my availability to play," Folau said.

"I don't want to bring any of my personal matters into this and I am grateful that the IRLF have endorsed my availability.

"What I will do now is focus on playing great rugby league and do my talking on the field."

Tonga coach Frank Endacott, who was only appointed coach of the national team two weeks ago, welcomed Folau's return
    to the game.

"This is great news," Endacott said.

"These guys are great footballers and bring size, pace and skill to the team. They will make a huge impact in the team and provide exciting attack options all over the park."

"This will be great boost to the internationals, and I cant wait to see the crowd support that this will generate from our famous Mate Ma'a Tonga supporters.

"And it is good to see the RLIF approving these players for internationals.

"This is great for the game."

It is unclear however if the Rugby League International Federation has officially given the green-light on the registration.

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter Beattie has previously shut the door on any attempt by Folau to return to the NRL.

Beattie is also the deputy chairman of the RLIF.

"Our position on Israel Folau remains the same," Beattie told AAP in June.

"We are an inclusive game with respect for all. Israel has social media posts online that go against what our game stands for.

"As it stands, he will not be considered for registration. What Israel chooses to do in relation to his social media posts and his faith is a matter for him."

The report also claims neither Folau brother is eligible to play in the inaugural nines tournament in Sydney because it is considered an NRL event.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...ng-b881332340z

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    So far the Tongan coach (although welcoming a Folau return), RLIF Chairman, his deputy, and their CEO know nothing about this, saying it hasn't been discussed. Izzy telling porkies again? Bloody Mungo?

vCash
    He could have represented his heritage and the people of Tonga when playing rugby union. #justsaying

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    He could have represented his heritage and the people of Tonga when playing rugby union. #justsaying
    Before Wallabies selection, of course?

vCash
    Good point Alison. Its the thing I admire most about the likes of Fifita, Pangai, Taumalolo, Fonua-Blake etc. They would be among the first picked for Origin and Test matches but have chosen to forgo huge match payments to represent their Heritage. Would he fit that bill?

He has not played since 2010. Fullback in RL has evolved to be extremely demanding and I doubt he'd have the engine for it. Worth the risk for an NRL club? I'd say not.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maelkann View Post
    Before Wallabies selection, of course?
    Of course.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    His pay cheque will be greater than twice the Gross National Product of Tonga.

vCash
    And he’s going to move to Tonga!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    And he’s going to move to Tonga!
    In a typical Tongan house in a typical Tongan village like the rest of the population? I doubt it!

vCash
    Well that little scheme (or should that say scam?) has been torpedoed big time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Well that little scheme (or should that say scam?) has been torpedoed big time.
    such a shame

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."