Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The day we will never forget

Champion
    vCash

The day we will never forget

Nick Taylor remembered as well

A dark day: Supreme irony with Western Force grudge match against Melbourne Rebels on day they were axed

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Sat, 5 September 2020 2:00AM

There is a supreme irony about today’s Western Force grudge Super Rugby clash with the Melbourne Rebels.
    Three years ago today, in what was described as the darkest day in Australian rugby history, Rugby Australia controversially guillotined the Force.
    It was the day RA thought they had finally seen the back of the Force after the NSW Supreme Court ruled they could axe them from Super Rugby.
    It was the day the Rebels, who had cost RA millions of dollars, escaped the chop.
    And it was the day billionaire Andrew Forrest announced his breakaway competition that led to the resurrection of the Force.
    Now, in the final game of their campaign, the Force can inflict retribution, by stopping the Rebels breakthrough finals appearance.
    On September 5, 2017 then Force captain Matt Hodgson broke down during an emotional media conference.
    Now, as rugby director of Forrest’s Global Rapid Rugby, he has helped drive the rise of the Force.
    Hodgson insists revenge for the axing is not foremost in his thoughts - but he’d like to see the side overturn the “Super time” loss to the Rebels in the first meeting.
    “I don’t look at dates, I look at games, but I’ve had a lot of people remind me about the date,” he said.
    “Of course there is history but it’s the last game that is fresh in the mind.
    “The boys let it slip and they want revenge for that. They will be up for this game. They are pretty pumped.
    “They will be going out to prove that we deserve to be at this level.”
    Forrest said victory would be the perfect way to reward hard work and sacrifice.
    “We have entered every game as the underdog yet pushed our opponents to the limit. Those teams from the east certainly know they’ve been in a scrap,” he said.
    “The rebirth of the Force, to the extent Rugby Australia now views us as an integral part of their future plans, is one of Australia’s great sporting stories.
    “Together we have triumphed against adversity and the future of rugby in our great state looks impregnable.
    “Our players have shown humility, courage and determination in being separated from their families and playing eight away games on the trot.”

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I look forward to reports of a competitive side playing in this game. If they manage to win, then that will be an awesomely pleasant surprise. If they play with heart and spirit and give the Rebels a very, very tough game then I will be pleased and satisfied. I don't mind at all if we lose, as the odds have been stacked against us for the whole comp.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    I don't mind at all if we lose, as the odds have been stacked against us for the whole comp.
    Ecky do you mind explaining what you mean by the Odds being stacked against us?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I'll leave it to Ecky to explain, if he wishes. But I would have thought it bleedin' obvious.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'll leave it to Ecky to explain, if he wishes. But I would have thought it bleedin' obvious.
    No Shasta - please - give us your thoughts

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    OK (apologies for stealing your thunder "Sir") Very little time to recruit SR standard players. No home games. Having to spend the whole comp on the other side of the Nullabor. Most of us understood this, didn't expect them to win any but hoped they'd put up a good show. Done that is spades and might yet win this one. No need to look for conspiracy theories X. Theyre just simple facts.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Should a shut up. The commentators just answered it for us.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    OK (apologies for stealing your thunder "Sir") Very little time to recruit SR standard players. No home games. Having to spend the whole comp on the other side of the Nullabor. Most of us understood this, didn't expect them to win any but hoped they'd put up a good show. Done that is spades and might yet win this one. No need to look for conspiracy theories X. Theyre just simple facts.
    Yes - they are all simple facts. Facts that have been said, and repeated over and over again.

Why?

no, I am not saying that Ecky (Sir) (Bless him). Is saying it repeatedly. Nor, Shasta, Am I saying that you are repeating it either.

Yet. We are collectively playing the victim.

Perhaps we should have said no to the invite. Stayed home our side of the Nulabour and said the FACTS were against us?

And now that you mention it.

let's not forget the theories. Conspirital or otherwise. Brought up by members of this Forum.

* RA don't want the Force to win
    * Referee (Angus Gardner) doesn't want the Force to win
    * RA is instructing the Referee's to ensure that the Force doesn't win.
    And others.......

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Give it a rest X. FFS.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    which part Mate?

Exile
    Sydney

vCash

Thumbs down

Should a shut up. The commentators just answered it for us.
    I wish Fox would keep that sanctimonious know all biased bastard Kafer away from the microphone.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    I'll respond X
    1. An awful lot of our players have not played together before.
    2. The players are a lot older than all the other team.
    3. They've been away from home longer than any of the other teams.
    Any other so called conspiracy theories youd like me to come up with?
    I'm damn FUCKEN proud of those fellas who have been doing a great job in shit hard circumstances.
    Most of the time i agree with a lot of your comments but mate like Shasta said give it a rest!!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    I'll respond X
    1. An awful lot of our players have not played together before.
    2. The players are a lot older than all the other team.
    3. They've been away from home longer than any of the other teams.
    Any other so called conspiracy theories youd like me to come up with?
    I'm damn FUCKEN proud of those fellas who have been doing a great job in shit hard circumstances.
    Most of the time i agree with a lot of your comments but mate like Shasta said give it a rest!!
    Im always up for a new Conspiracy Theory to laugh at Boof. So go your hardest.

AS for me giving it a rest. Sure. When the bullshit stops.

ALSO - when do we hear about Richard Hardwick's status as Sandgroper?

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post

AS for me giving it a rest. Sure. When the bullshit stops.
    OK, fair enough. Can you just point out which part of Ecky's post contained the bullshit that set you off this time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Ecky do you mind explaining what you mean by the Odds being stacked against us?
    Thanks to all those who provided their explanation. Quite an emotive subject, but if you'd still like my explanation:
    The players who felt they were in with a realistic shot at selection went east to play with other SR teams after the were canned.
    The players who wanted to be full time professional players went east or overseas at that time.
    This left, for the most part, the players whose best years may have been behind them, but still wanting to give back to the club for whom they were part of the culture/fabric.
    Then there were some gaps to fill and these were filled with younger/inexperienced players who showed promise and ability. Or more players from the first category.
    Training together and playing Twiggyball and NRC provided the culture and camaraderie, but did not provide the sustained level of play for the team to adapt to in order to consistently win at SR.

This, in my opinion, left the odds stacked against us for the SR AU competition.

I don't have too much of a concern with the likes of Kahui and Thrush being brought in, provided they contribute to a high level for the time they are on the field and, more importantly, provide mentoring to the younger brigade. Same goes for Grant when he was part of the system.

On a brighter note, a WA trained referee made his SR debut and backed up with a second game. Plus a female ref also got her exposure to this kind of rugby. This may provide a tangible pathway for aspiring match officials. Onya Coops.

I hope this clarifies my original post and shows no particular conspiracy theories, however some readers might hope to find.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast