Thread: Reds eye Brumbies duo

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Reds eye Brumbies duo

Bret Harris | May 27, 2009

Article from: The Australian

QUEENSLAND, still reeling over the anticipated loss of prized recruit, Wallabies blindside flanker Rocky Elsom, are set to make a play for Brumbies backrowers Julian Salvi and Mitch Chapman.

The Reds were regarded as the favourites to secure Elsom, the hero of Leinster's win against Leicester in the final of the Heineken Cup last Saturday, until The Australian revealed on Monday that the Brumbies were "sleepers" to sign him.

Queensland coach Phil Mooney had not heard anything official about Elsom's intentions, but he suspected speculation he was heading to Canberra was "on the money".

Wallabies back-five forward Hugh McMeniman has also confirmed his intention to play overseas, leaving the Reds short of both openside and blindside flankers.

The Reds are waiting to learn whether former All Blacks openside flanker Daniel Braid will reconsider leaving after his contract with Welsh team the Scarlets was cancelled because of injury.

If Braid decides to go, the Reds will approach Salvi, who is considering activating a get-out clause in his contract following Wallabies openside flanker George Smith's decision to re-sign with the Brumbies.

The Reds attempted to recruit Salvi a couple of years ago, but he decided to stay in Canberra.

"Julian is a guy we rate very highly," Reds coach Phil Mooney said. "It depends what happens with Daniel Braid. Julian is versatile, but seven is his spot. We have to wait and see what Daniel does, but Julian is a guy we would consider."

The arrival of Elsom in Canberra would also pave the way for the skilful Chapman to return to Queensland.

Meanwhile, the French squad to play Tests next month in New Zealand and Australia has been hit by injuries with three experienced players pulling out.

First to withdraw was halfback Morgan Parra who injured his left shoulder playing for Bourgoin against Northampton in the European Challenge Cup final on Friday. He was replaced by former first-choice No9 Dimitri Yachvili. On Monday, lock and captain Lionel Nallet and back-rower Imanol Harinordoquy were ruled out, to be replaced by Remy Martin and Damien Chouly. The French play the Wallabies in Sydney on June 27.

Additional reporting: AFP

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm sure that everyone could pick up a Brumbies player at Bargain Basement prices now

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I hope they do choose to sign on with the Reds if Elsom joins the Brumbies. The Reds' position sucks. They find it hard to sign players because they are losing and they are losing because they find it hard to sign players. Those two are really talented players but they are more like 'backbone' players who aren't exceptional but just their constant hard-work and reliability make those players who are super-stars able to be so.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    With all the corporate wheeling and dealing that they have done, I'd love to see the Brumbies get smashed in every derby game next season.

And I'm an ex Brumby supporter!

It would be even sweeter if Salvi and Chappo sign for the Reds and lead them to victory......and I usually don't rate the Reds (well since Eddie Jones had them anyway)

C'mon the

vCash
    Maybe the ARU should go and check all the deals were done above the table

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The Reds have been my second favourite Aussie team for the last few seasons now. God it must be hard to be a full time supporter of them though.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    All credit to the Brumbies though....they're looking like having a team of champions. However, it will be interesting to see if they can play like a champion team, as the Force well knows, names on paper doesn't necessarily translate to performance on the field...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    With all the corporate wheeling and dealing that they have done, I'd love to see the Brumbies get smashed in every derby game next season.

And I'm an ex Brumby supporter!

It would be even sweeter if Salvi and Chappo sign for the Reds and lead them to victory......and I usually don't rate the Reds (well since Eddie Jones had them anyway)
    now I know why I like you GIGSY... I hope you list burn a small flame for the Brumbies...

Julian Salvi has a lot of promise and has stayed at the Brumbies though home town loyalty but what do you do when your second to george Smith who has missed only one match in the last 130 Brumbies games... If he moves on and I would understand I'd love to see him back in a few years... Julian also has a young family...

As we've all seen the the Force loosies are doing very well and getting Wallabies call ups and caps. I feel if Rocky comes Salvi will have no choice but to get game time elsewhere... likely with the Faingaa Brothers...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    now I know why I like you GIGSY... I hope you list burn a small flame for the Brumbies...
    Nope, the flame's extinguished and the ex gets a little bolder every time Bret Harris or Any Friend opens their mouth.

I'd have to say Reds would be my second team ATM even though they aren't competitive, I like the fact that they're developing a young side and seem to have a plan to play some exciting rugby.

Brumbies sit somewhere near the (shudder) Tahs right now!

C'mon the