Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Metro Rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    I remind you my predictions for 2012 were bang on.

I am confident with my predictions for 2013.

Flop yours out on the table Fulvio.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    RM,what is the PSA situation you refer to?
    I haven't been involved in junior rugby for the past 10 years or so,therefore not aware of the current situation
    cheers

Senior Player
    vCash
    PSA Situation = no change ie the PSA Schools refuse to engage in discussion about alternative timing / structures for rugby so the potency of junior rugby in WA is perennially diluted.

What has changed is the movement of young families to the outer suburbs and this has exacerbated the situation, ie there ain't enough junior rugby players to fill the teams within a 10 km radius of the CBD. This will only worsen so some clubs juniors eg Nedlands, Cott, Uni and Soaks juniors and to a lesser extent Pally will dwindle.

Champion
    vCash
    Someone needs to grow some balls and tell the PSA to can their little exclusive crap comp and intergrate into clubs. There are not enough players to run 2 different comps in a minority sport state.The standard of PSA rugby is bloody terrible,watched a game last season and was astounded at the standard

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Ok,the attitude from the PSA hasn't altered in the last decade
    situation normal

vCash
    It's a real shame guys because these kids want to play in the strongest comp possible but they're not allowed too from years 10, 11 & 12 due to the Saturday clash.

So we're looking at 22 x 7 = 154 players in the above years forced to play in an inferior comp on a Saturday. If they have 2nd XV's then I guess the 154 figure swells considerably.

I know of a few lads who try their best to back up for club, tho find it quite taxing after a while.

From the PSA website....
    http://www.psa.wa.edu.au/

'Welcome to the PSA Sports website.

Here you will find information on PSA First Team (only) sporting fixtures and results.

During the summer months (Terms 1 and 4), keen sportsmen are involved in basketball, cricket, rowing, swimming, tennis, volleyball, water polo, and may also participate in one day events such as surfing and golf. During the winter months (Terms 2 and 3) the boys turn their attention to athletics, cross country, football, hockey, rugby, soccer and badminton.

PSA sporting matches normally take place either on Friday afternoons for Years 7, 8 and 9 or Saturday mornings for Years 10 – 12.

The PSA was formed in 1905 by the Headmasters of Christian Brothers College, Guildford Grammar School, Perth High School and Scotch College. Wesley College was admitted in December 1951, Christ Church Grammar School in October 1956 and Trinity College in 1968.

Perth High School was renamed Hale School in December 1929. In 1938 the boarders and some day students from CBC moved to Mount Henry to commence Aquinas College. The College colours and membership of the PSA were also transferred to Aquinas College.

CBC continued with the remaining day students. In 1962 CBC moved to the East Perth site and was re-named Trinity College.'

Rookie
    vCash
    Without trying to fuel an antagonistic debate. Rugby is a growing sport in PSA schools. It is one of many offered in the PSA system and has to fight for its space. In some schools there is a stronger culture than others and there are ups and downs. A number of boys take up rugby for the first time in PSA schools. Many an AFL or 'non rugby' boy has been drawn to the game either due to the culture or appeal of the game. In fact @ many PSA schools they now have nearly 2 teams in the Years 7, 8 &9 groups, many from country WA.

As for an inferior comp.- with what are you comparing?- if you equate this to the U18s, I can assure you the likes of Hale, Guildford and Scotch over the last few years would have been contenders. I also speak to U18s who play PSA the year before and want to play u 20 as the u18 comp is quite weak.

In fact in 2011, Hale defeated Whitgift, 2 times winners of the Daily Mail Cup in the UK. The program at a school like Hale who tour and compete with Eastern states schools far exceeds that offered at many clubs at colts level.

Schools and clubs are diffferent and a good schools system allows and contributes to a good pathway. Many of the schools run a very 'professional' program and in fact have Premier grade coaches coaching them. Why not ask the coaches of Scotch, Trinity, Hale, and in the past Guildford, Wesley & Aquinas to compare?

A lot of good players have come throught the PSA system- Turner, Haylett- Petty, Wallce- Harrison, Welborn, Godwin, Hoskins, Hodson, Burton & Thomas to mention a few.

A lot of comments on this site wrt to rumours in clubland and other are misinformed. Why not embrace the fact that over 1000 boys are playing schools rugby each week. A positive, not the case in the other schools. In the end , most return to their clubs and many new guys join.

All good for rugby, schools[ both CSC & PSA] enhance not inhibit the growth of the sport!

vCash
    PSA are playing right into the hands of the W.A.R.L.... as RM stated, "Refusing to engage in discussion about alternative timing / structures for rugby so the potency of junior rugby in WA is perennially diluted".

CSC schools seem to manage to play around club fixtures and not weaken the 15 to 18 year age bracket. Here’s just a few CSC schools, Thornlie, Aranmore, Darling Range, Kelmscott, Tranby College, Ocean Reef, Colbe College, John XXIII, CBC, Corpus, Warnbro CC, Newman, Churchlands,

Below are results for Saturday 26-MAY-2012 for PSA 1st XV, WARU 18's & WAJRU 16's. Some interesting reading.

Saturday, 26 May 2012 - PSA 1st XV Rd 4

Guildford 43 vs 17 Wesley
    Aquinas 58 vs 5 Christ Church
    Trinity 5 vs 101 Hale
    Scotch Bye

Saturday, 26 May 2012 - WARU U18s Rd 6

West 19 vs Wanneroo 27
    Palmyra 25 vs Mandurah 19
    Lions 0 vs UWA 25
    Bayswater 50 vs Joondalup 0

Saturday, 26 May 2012 - WAJRU U16s Rd 5

Palmyra 29 vs Soaks 5
    UWA 12 vs ARKS 41
    Joondalup 0 vs Wanneroo 24
    Lions 67 vs Kwinana 0
    Wanneroo B 0 vs Kalamunda 46
    Mandurah 53 vs Bayswater 12

Rookie
    vCash
    Firstly, not sure where the evidence you have re WARL. Substantiate!

Very easy to be selective in you examples re scores. We could do the same @ Super Rugby, Premier grade etc. Schools and clubs are different and therefore I will not go /compare the CSC system which differs from the PSA[ in which rugby is not the only sport.] The PSA rn a good comp in all sports- rugby is one of those- don't knock it.

I have been invloved in in both PSA & club and am attempting to offer an obejctive view- thats all!

No need to be bitter and vindictive!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post
    Firstly, not sure where the evidence you have re WARL. Substantiate!

Very easy to be selective in you examples re scores. We could do the same @ Super Rugby, Premier grade etc. Schools and clubs are different and therefore I will not go /compare the CSC system which differs from the PSA[ in which rugby is not the only sport.] The PSA rn a good comp in all sports- rugby is one of those- don't knock it.

I have been invloved in in both PSA & club and am attempting to offer an obejctive view- thats all!

No need to be bitter and vindictive!
    Okay firstly – I’m not being vindictive, just would like to see both the WA(J)RU and PSA work together for the better of Rugby. (We posted at similar times – calm yourself)

Secondly, down in the trenches we are having a tug-of-war with League at the moment. They have money to spread their gospel (WARL PIRATES VANS TO SCHOOLS are more active than RWA), offer “Travel money” at clubs , a clear PATHWAY and a modern image that appeals to our youth at the moment.

Trust me, every Union club has volunteer coaches/managers (me) in the trenches from 16s & 18s piss farting around with kids leaving to league or sitting on the fence at this time of the year. It comes up in conversation at every club i go to when discussing playing numbers.....should I mention SG Ball????

If the PSA 1st & 2nd XV games didn't clash with club on a Saturday the U18 WARU comp would then be stronger and our attrition rate to League (Also Beer, Girls & Xbox) would be slowed, then talented Union players may possibly shelve their attempts to play SG Ball if they had a stronger/larger player base around them at the commencement of Club rugby union pre-season!!

It's not panic stations yet for union but it will be when the NRL plonk a team here in W.A

Like I said, if CSC can do it so can PSA. I know it's not an overnight fix, but a fix we must have.

Last edited by Pacman; 18-03-13 at 07:58.

Senior Player
    vCash
    most return to their clubs and many new guys join.
    This is plainly untrue. It is you Reds81 that appear to be misinformed.

Unfortunately very few boys return to play for clubs after PSA Year 12.

Do you have evidence of most returning to clubs?

U18 registrations clearly do not support your argument or go even close. Most clubs struggle to fill an under 18 team and they rely predominantly on boys from non PSA schools.

The schools most effected by PSA (Cott, Soaks, Nedlands) are most likely never going to have Under 18 teams again thanks to the PSA system.

Champion
    vCash
    qI'll go back to my previous post where I said the standard is terrible.40 years of playing coaching and or managing rugby gives me an understanding of the game and again I will repeat that the rugby I have witnessed in PSA schools is way below 18's standard.I'm not trying to stir things up but that's how I see it.I would say that the post espousing the virtue's of PSA rugby has come from a teacher justifying the expense incurred in running such comp's.If you look at the state 15's squad posted elsewhere on this website you would notice that there is 2 out of the 27 named from a PSA school,says it all really.

Last edited by westies man; 18-03-13 at 04:29. Reason: q

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    qI'll go back to my previous post where I said the standard is terrible.40 years of playing coaching and or managing rugby gives me an understanding of the game and again I will repeat that the rugby I have witnessed in PSA schools is way below 18's standard.I'm not trying to stir things up but that's how I see it.I would say that the post espousing the virtue's of PSA rugby has come from a teacher justifying the expense incurred in running such comp's.If you look at the state 15's squad posted elsewhere on this website you would notice that there is 2 out of the 27 named from a PSA school,says it all really.
    Well we will agree to disagree. Having had kids been involved in schools and clubs worldwide, am also in a position to offer an objective opinion. U 18 standard fairly poor as the better boys opt for 20s and some cases higher.

As for state selection, 40 years of experience should tell you, swings and roundabouts!. A few years ago nearly 3/4 of the Schoolboys were PSA boys.

Still not sure why you feel the need to bag a system that has many boys playing each week.

vCash
    Well we will agree to disagree. Having had kids been involved in schools and clubs worldwide, am also in a position to offer an objective opinion. U 18 standard fairly poor as the better boys opt for 20s and some cases higher.

As for state selection, 40 years of experience should tell you, swings and roundabouts!. A few years ago nearly 3/4 of the Schoolboys were PSA boys.

Still not sure why you feel the need to bag a system that has many boys playing each week.
    You are the Force Academy Coach, are you not?

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    You are the Force Academy Coach, are you not?
    Haha -You're quite funny Pacman!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast