Thread: PM Jacinda Ardern says rugby funding better targeted at grassroots game

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

PM Jacinda Ardern says rugby funding better targeted at grassroots game

28 Aug, 2018 8:30am

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says she would rather government funding goes to grassroots rugby than to the All Blacks.

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen raised the issue of financial support to stop players from being lured overseas by big money when Ardern visited the players' dressing room during the Bledisloe Cup match at the weekend.

"I think probably our support is better placed at that grassroots level. It's not something [Hansen's] formally pitched so I'm a bit loathe to get into hypotheticals," Ardern told Newstalk ZB's Mike Hosking this morning.

"The question is will we ever be able to keep pace with what may happen beyond what we're able to pay here. I think it's a slight disservice to players to assume that that's the only thing that goes on in their thinking.

"Someone who seeks an international career, sometimes that's actually because they're looking for a chance to have that experience abroad. Equally, the honour of playing in the All Blacks, that's significant too," Ardern said.

Sports Minister Grant Robertson told NewstalkZB yesterday that Hansen was "doing what he does best, which is advocating for his sport and his team" when he said the team needed financial support to stop players being paid big money to play overseas.

"The All Blacks are an amazing team and one that we should all be proud of, but that's not something we are considering," Robertson said.

He too noted that the Government had "a great relationship with NZ Rugby around growing the grassroots game", including developing women's rugby.

NZ Rugby chief executive Steve Tew said the organisation was spending $5 million to $7m a year more than it earned, with 36 per cent of costs going to pay players.

"If that 36 per cent is under pressure because the price of our players in the international market continues to escalate, with no real science behind it other than just these very wealthy club owners wanting to have the best team, then that's a pressure point," he said.

"Frankly, I had the same conversation with the Prime Minister and minister myself in the grandstand. If our team, and our talent is important to New Zealand, then sitting down with the Government at some point and time about what we might do together is useful.

"In fact, we've already got a number of partnerships with government agencies; we have a high-performance relationship with High Performance Sport NZ, a decent chunk of that is government-funded."

Tew highlighted Beauden Barrett, who has reportedly been offered $3.4m a year to join a French club after next year's Rugby World Cup.

A Herald online poll asking "Should the Government give NZ Rugby money to keep top players in the country?" is running at 69 per cent against and 31 per cent in favour.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...766&ref=NZH_fb

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    28 Aug, 2018 8:30am

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says she would rather government funding goes to grassroots rugby than to the All Blacks.

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen raised the issue of financial support to stop players from being lured overseas by big money when Ardern visited the players' dressing room during the Bledisloe Cup match at the weekend.

"I think probably our support is better placed at that grassroots level. It's not something [Hansen's] formally pitched so I'm a bit loathe to get into hypotheticals," Ardern told Newstalk ZB's Mike Hosking this morning.

"The question is will we ever be able to keep pace with what may happen beyond what we're able to pay here. I think it's a slight disservice to players to assume that that's the only thing that goes on in their thinking.

"Someone who seeks an international career, sometimes that's actually because they're looking for a chance to have that experience abroad. Equally, the honour of playing in the All Blacks, that's significant too," Ardern said.

Sports Minister Grant Robertson told NewstalkZB yesterday that Hansen was "doing what he does best, which is advocating for his sport and his team" when he said the team needed financial support to stop players being paid big money to play overseas.

"The All Blacks are an amazing team and one that we should all be proud of, but that's not something we are considering," Robertson said.

He too noted that the Government had "a great relationship with NZ Rugby around growing the grassroots game", including developing women's rugby.

NZ Rugby chief executive Steve Tew said the organisation was spending $5 million to $7m a year more than it earned, with 36 per cent of costs going to pay players.

"If that 36 per cent is under pressure because the price of our players in the international market continues to escalate, with no real science behind it other than just these very wealthy club owners wanting to have the best team, then that's a pressure point," he said.

"Frankly, I had the same conversation with the Prime Minister and minister myself in the grandstand. If our team, and our talent is important to New Zealand, then sitting down with the Government at some point and time about what we might do together is useful.

"In fact, we've already got a number of partnerships with government agencies; we have a high-performance relationship with High Performance Sport NZ, a decent chunk of that is government-funded."

Tew highlighted Beauden Barrett, who has reportedly been offered $3.4m a year to join a French club after next year's Rugby World Cup.

A Herald online poll asking "Should the Government give NZ Rugby money to keep top players in the country?" is running at 69 per cent against and 31 per cent in favour.

Well said Jacinda.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Been taking accounting lessons from RA!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The NZRU have unit trusts too?

On the topic of financial problems SARU made a net loss of ZAR62 million (AUD$5.9 million) last year and their cash reserves are now at ZAR17.5 million (AUD1.67 million) down from ZAR65 million (AUD6.2 million).

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    What the heck does a female New Zealander know about grassroots rugby?

(ducks for cover)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    probably a dam sight more than RA

vCash
    Slinging off at NZ politicians makes as much sense as slagging the AB's

Helen Clarke, John Key and the current one.

Dutton, Abbott, Rudd, Gillard. Really?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Put Turnbull in the mix ! The current NZ PM seems to have a better grasp on the issues than the current Chair of RA ....

Last edited by bootsetal06; 30-08-18 at 07:26.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Slinging off at NZ politicians makes as much sense as slagging the AB's

Helen Clarke, John Key and the current one.

Dutton, Abbott, Rudd, Gillard. Really?
    As they say in NZ, Hulun was the right man for the job at the time

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Harsh!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Well they did have one PM that encouraged them to take the piss. When I spent some of the 70's living in UnZud their prime minister was Robert "Piggy" Muldoon. One of the newspapers ran a coupon promo where you could get your kids a plastic Piggy Bank.

Name:  Piggy Bank.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  137.3 KB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    probably a dam sight more than RA
    She is welcome to take over as Chair.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    As they say in NZ, Hulun was the right man for the job at the time
    she reminded me of Chrissie,the barmaid in CHCH