Thread: O'CONNOR KICKS BOOTS INTO FLOOD RELIEF

vCash

O'CONNOR KICKS BOOTS INTO FLOOD RELIEF

RugbyWA has lent its support to flood ravaged Queensland with a commitment of $10,000 to the Queensland Rugby Union to help rebuild community rugby infrastructure destroyed during the crisis. Emirates Western Force star James O’Connor has also chipped in with a unique piece of test match memorabilia which will be auctioned and all proceeds directed to the recovery efforts.

O’Connor, a Queensland native, has donated arguably the most important set of rugby boots the Wallabies have had in recent times, the very pair he wore to kick Australia to a victory against the All Blacks in Hong Kong late last year.

The 20-year-old, who attended school in Brisbane and whose family lives on the Gold Coast, scored a try after the final siren and then calmly converted it from wide out at the Hong Kong International Stadium to secure a 26-24 win over the Kiwi’s.

The auction is now live on ebay (click here for the bid page) and O’Connor hopes passionate rugby fans will bid generously and raise a tidy sum for the flood relief.

“When I was in Queensland over the Christmas break I found the boots in my cupboard and my brothers and parents said to keep them safe as they’d be worth something one day,” O’Connor said.

“When I was thinking of what I could do to assist the flood relief the boots came to mind and hopefully there will be a few people keen to bid.

“My family are on the Gold Coast so they fortunately weren’t affected but a lot of my close friends had homes completely destroyed and so I wanted to do something for them and the state.

“There are a lot of good things happening and the generosity of Australian’s has been great to see. I hope that there are plenty of rugby fans, here and internationally, that are keen to give the boots a good home and can help raise more for such a great cause,” O’Connor said.

All money raised from O’Connor’s on-line auction will be donated to the Queensland Premier's Flood Relief Appeal.

Meanwhile, RugbyWA’s efforts will be directed specifically to the rebuilding of lost and damaged community rugby club infrastructure in Queensland which will be coordinated through the QRU. Emirates Western Force memorabilia has also been donated specifically to Gladstone and Condamine rugby union clubs to aid in their recovery.

The rugby family has rallied behind Queensland with Super Rugby provinces and the ARU contributing much need funds as well as committing to further aid during the upcoming season, including special activities in the opening round clash between the Reds and Emirates Western Force in Brisbane on Sunday, 20February.

RugbyWA is also in the latter stages of formalising its response to help in the recovery of West Australian communities affected by the recent Lake Clifton fires and floods in Carnarvon.

James O’Connor’s boots auction
    Bid page URL:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:L:LCA:AU:1123

ebay item no. 160534087617

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 19-01-11 at 10:27.