Thread: Cross puts doubts to rest

vCash

Cross puts doubts to rest

Cross puts doubts to rest

By Jon Geddes

July 24, 2008

AS Ryan Cross prepares for the biggest game of his career against New Zealand, he revealed he harboured doubts last year whether he made the right decision in switching codes.

Eighteen months on the former Sydney Roosters star is celebrating his call-up to the Wallabies starting side after being handed the assignment of replacing injured skipper Stirling Mortlock for the Bledisloe Cup showdown.

Want to go to the Bledisloe Cup? You can with Fox Sports Travel

But Cross has enjoyed no saloon passage into the Wallabies team and has overcome a number of hurdles before winning the No.13 jumper.

After his first few games in 2007 Cross even wondered if his transition would be a success.

"I didn't find it too easy last year. I think I struggled at times," he admitted. "It was a tough year for me, but I've always liked to stick things out and thankfully I did."

Cross believes it took him two Super 14 seasons to really start feeling comfortable after nine seasons in the NRL.

"Over in Perth (coach) John Mitchell stuck with me and this year I felt like I had a good off-season," he said

Cross puts doubts to rest - Rugby - Fox Sports

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Thank goodness he did make the switch. He is an absolute asset to any team and well deserving of the #13 Wallabies jersey!

Good luck to him, he has worked so hard for his place and hard work like that will cement him in that role.

vCash
    good luck crossy!!
    well deserved

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    well done Crossy