Thread: Brown can hear Elsom and Palu's footsteps behind him

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brown can hear Elsom and Palu's footsteps behind him

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | June 26, 2009

WALLABIES No.8 Richard Brown is not happy with his form.

He knows that fellow Test back-rowers Rocky Elsom and Wycliff Palu are on their way back from injury and are bound to be included in the Tri Nations squad next week, putting further pressure on him to perform. And Brown realises if he wants to impress the Wallabies coaching staff when he plays his first Test against French opposition tomorrow night, he'll have to raise his standards.

Players generally convince themselves they are playing well, but the extroverted Western Force back-rower with a rich rural background understands bulldust and tells it how it is.

When yesterday asked if he was happy with his form, Brown replied: "Not really. I don't think I've been anywhere as fit as I've been. It's because I've been coming back from an ankle injury, so I haven't been able to do as much running.

"So I can't say I've been overly happy with my last two performances, and I should expect more of myself."

Brown also conceded the Wallabies coaching staff "would like to see more out of me".

"If I'm not happy and the coaches are, well I still don't think that's a good enough reason to relax and say to yourself, 'Oh, at least the coaches are happy'. I want to be happy with my own form, and that's my motivation."

There is also the Palu and Elsom factor. Both were spotted at Wallabies training this week, where their medical condition was checked. While it is uncertain when both will be available again, they are certain to be named in the 30-man Tri Nations squad next Thursday.

"When they come back to the team everyone is going to have to ask more of themselves," Brown said. "Wycliff is a world-class No.8, which will just make me try harder."

Meanwhile, former Test selector Tim Horan believes discarded winger Lote Tuqiri must be part of the 22-man Wallabies playing squad.

Tuqiri has been demoted to Sydney club status as the selectors have preferred Lachie Turner, Drew Mitchell and Peter Hynes on the wings. But Horan says Tuqiri is not a spent force.

"I still believe Lote should be on the bench," Horan said yesterday. "Having a small back three can sometimes hurt when it's a wet game or a tough game against the All Blacks. When it's pretty close you need blokes to get across the advantage line.

"He's probably suffered because of the way the Waratahs played this year. He is someone who tries to look for the ball, but probably looks for the ball at the wrong opportunities. It will come. He will play more Test matches, there's no doubt. But what Robbie is looking for is the out-and-out finishers.

"Lote is too good an asset, especially in those tighter games."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...522937694.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    nonsense brownie. keep up the great work and those foot steps will fade

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force