Page 24 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Rapid Rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I will take whatever we get and look forward to the full thing next year. Gees the alternative it pretty grim!! I loved last year not sure what was tedious about it!
    Not tedious, games were good.

But a structured comp and results to follow with a final series will always trump a showcase/exhibition games

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Tedious? Did you actually attend any?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    So we can assume that
    22nd March - Force vs World XV

29th March - Force vs Hong Kong

Well it's a start, let's hope they are planning on playing Hong Kong twice, home and away later in the season. I am hoping we have a competition this year and not another tedious exhibition series, that wasnt even a series, despite being called a series.. World Series Rugby...
    15000 fans per game, well over 100k by the end of the season, had a fantastic, happy time. Smiles on everyone's faces, kids happy, players having fun and putting in good to watch performances.

One person, a miserable guts, found it "tedious"

I'm siding with the 100k, the miserable guts should go and find some close out shirt deals for his kids at Tennis...now THOSE guys are tedious

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post

I'm siding with the 100k, the miserable guts should go and find some close out shirt deals for his kids at Tennis...now THOSE guys are tedious
    One of your best.

Makes you wonder why he would keep turning up last year, dunnit?? Especially having to drive via Kwinana Freeway from Seville Grove to NIB. Should have saved the money and shouted himself a Navman.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I meant tedious due to the name of World 'Series' Rugby not really being a 'series' but more a bunch of exhibition games. I would expect points to be allocated in a 'series'

If we end up with a bunch of exhibition games then fine atleast we have something, but let's be honest a bunch of exhibition games arent exactly hard to organise and put together, I've said it before, most local clubs do it at the end of the season when we tour over seas or over east. If they can throw a bunch of exhibition games together and work out a system where they can allocate points for some games to some teams to form a mini series like structure then I will be impressed.

And yes the turn out last year was fantastic, it showed the hunger WA fans still have for rugby and just why Clyne and his cronies completely botched our axeing with his personal agenda to retain his dream of having a Melbourne franchise at all costs to the detriment of Rugby in Australia. Considering Clyne didn't just shoot a bullet at us, he fired a colossal nuclear warhead at his own sport (friendly fire FFS!!!) It was good to get one up him [Clyne] with the large crowds we had and will continue to have so don't get me wrong I am incredibly thankful to Andrew Forrest for resurrecting us when we had been fragged into a million pieces and sent broke by our own governing body. I just think that after all this planning if they do have 4 or so teams signed up (even 3- The Trinations worked for many years so 3 works fine in a series/tournament like structure) all they need to do is throw up a graphic showing a table, something us Force fans will probably do anyway if the situation suits [I will personally do one myself if we find we are versing a couple or even a few or more teams more than twice] and they are too lazy to get one going. Get off your high horses, not everything needs to be seen through rose tinted glasses.

Ohh and Seville Grove is a shithole!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    and they are too lazy to get one going

You are a miserable sod! How can you say that?
    From what I can see and hear from you is. You are too freaking lazy to get out of your chair and get on the train to watch a game!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    What ever that link went to is gone now
    Here it is - worked OK for me

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881113919z

Champion
    vCash
    Saw something similar about the world select side in the Sunday Times tonight.

Champion
    vCash
    New Ball Game: Newcastle in talks to enter Global Rapid Rugby professional competition
    https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5...y-competition/

NEWCASTLE and Hunter Rugby Union are in "high-level" talks with Global Rapid Rugby about a professional Hunter-based team playing in the revolutionary Asia Pacific tournament to kick-off in 2020.

Founded and backed by billionaire Perth mining magnate Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest, Global Rapid Rugby will feature eight teams from Australia, Fiji, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Samoa, Singapore and Japan, competing for $1 million in prizemoney.

The competition, which has slightly modified laws, has been sanctioned by World Rugby and will run from February to June.

Players will be contracted, including marquees, and the level of competition is expected to sit between the National Rugby Championship and Super Rugby.

The Western Force, which was axed from Super Rugby two seasons ago, will be one Australian team, with the other to be based on the east coast. Talks with a group in western Sydney have stalled.

Expansion plans for 2021 and beyond include China, India, the United Arab Emirates , Sri Lanka and Korea.

Head of Global Rapid Rugby and former Wallaby Matt Hodgson met with the NHRU last Thursday and inspected facilities at McDonald Jones Stadium, No.2 Sportsground and the University of Newcastle.

NHRU president Bill Clifton confirmed that the union was in "high-level" discussions with Global Rapid Rugby and was analysing the "pros and cons of having a team based in the Hunter".

"We have tacit approval from Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby to hold talks," Clifton said. "The next step is for us to confirm that approval and then put together a business plan."

Global Rapid Rugby will cover travel, accommodation and other costs, but teams would still require a substantial operational budget.

The Hunter has increasing industry, tourism and education links with Asia and the NHRU would need to tap into commercial opportunities for the project to be viable.

Clifton said Global Rapid Rugby was among a number of options that the NHRU were exploring in a bid to provide a pathway for Hunter players.

NSW Rugby Union are set to launch a satellite academy in Newcastle, which will be run with support from the NHRU.

The union is also exploring a formal link with NRC franchise, NSW Country Eagles.

"We are looking at all options," Clifton said.

"In putting together the union's strategic plan, it was identified that we are losing talented players to Sydney because there is not a pathway here.

"One of the clear directions from the clubs was for the NHRU to explore ways in which we can provide pathways and create that rugby attraction in the Hunter Valley.

"We are close to signing off on the academy and are in talks with Global Rapid Rugby and the NSW Country Eagles."

Originally slated to begin in March, Global Rapid Rugby has a travelling 'Showcase Series' planned for this year that will be a precursor to the competition proper.

The new competition, supersedes World Series Rugby, which was won last year by the Robbie Deans coached Japanese Wild Knights and averaged crowds on 14,907 and a TV audience of 35,800.

Rugby Australia were initially cold on the Rapid Rugby concept, but now believe it is capable of marketing and developing the game in Asia without cost to the governing body.

Forrest, one of Australia’s most successful businessmen and an international philanthropist, was originally driven to form the new competition by the ‘injustice’ of his home state of Western Australia being forced out of Super Rugby competition.

He also has ‘burning desire’ to improve the game further throughout the Asia Pacific region.

“Witnessing the quality of rugby on the field this year, the way the fans responded and how everyone else took notice says clearly ‘Rapid Rugby is the future’," Forrest said at the launch of the new format.

“To see the guys from Samoa, Tonga and Fiji respond to the opportunity they were given with such joy and then hear the great Robbie Deans talk so passionately about what we’re doing.

“Our new and dynamic brand will bring a whole new support base, inspire young people and attract new and much needed spectator and corporate interest. Plus, we have already begun reinforcing grassroots rugby across Western Australia with a fun new Rugby Roos program for 4-12 year-olds that we want to promote globally.”

FACEBOOKSHARE
    TWITTERTWEET
    EMAIL
    COMMENTCOMMENTS

vCash
    Won’t be long till Andrew Whore stops this. I wonder how his fundraising for the new western Sydney pathway and the Shute Shield under 18 competition is going...

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    WonÂ’t be long till Andrew Whore stops this. I wonder how his fundraising for the new western Sydney pathway and the Shute Shield under 18 competition is going...
    NSW could have a rebellion on their hands if the block both Western Sydney and Newcastle benefiting from Twiggy and his GRR. And then NSW continue to blunder on backwards and do nothing for those areas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    The new competition, supersedes World Series Rugby, which was won last year by the Robbie Deans coached Japanese Wild Knights and averaged crowds on 14,907 and a TV audience of 35,800.
    ‘injustice’
    ‘burning desire’
    That's some quality reporting right there!

It isn't like the Herald have any reason to be biased against WA we gave them a pretty bloody good rugby team!

C'mon the

vCash
    ^^ I did read the article with some amusement, wondering if the writer followed rugby at all.

vCash
    Just goes to show you can’t believe everything that gets into print!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Didn't know the Wild Knights won the comp!

Page 24 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast