Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: World Series Rugby gets tick of approval from World Rugby Council

Player
    vCash
    Anyway...., now that we have 'provisional" approval we need to know who the other teams are. We have:

Western Force
    Western Sydney
    Fiji
    Hong Kong (I think we can say with some certainty)
    Some sort of team out of NZ (whether it be an All Stars or existing club)
    Apparently 2 teams from Japan - but which 2? (hopefully one is Panasonic)
    And ? Singapore ? This one worries me the most. What sort of side will this be? All the others have at least some semblance of an organisation around them, but Singapore? Can't see much local content in that team. Will it be a perpetual Barbarians arrangement?

I am certain much continues to be done behind the scenes, but to get the public momentum these sorts of details to to come out sooner rather than later.

Comp starts in 5 months!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well I was never going to watch one of my favorite players make a goose of himself on "reality" TV. But after reading reports of The Badge's finale, I'm hoping that it was because he's still in love with Perth, SoB, the Force and he's heading back home.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    well hodder lives here!

vCash
    Update..

Late coaching U-turn clouds ‘Twiggy’s’ Western Sydney push as Darren Coleman joins Gordon Rugby Club

SHUTE SHIELD
    Christy Doran
    October 5, 2018 4:41pm
    CHRISTY DORAN@christypdoran
    Source: FOX SPORTS

Darren Coleman has decided to join Gordon Rugby Club with Andrew Forrest’s Western Sydney push not yet over the line.

LESS than two weeks after announcing he was leaving the Warringah Rats to join Andrew Forrest’s touted Western Sydney club in the World Series Rugby competition, Darren Coleman has sensationally joined Gordon Rugby Club.

The decision to join Gordon’s Shute Shield campaign for the 2019 season comes after late developments which have clouded Forrest’s proposed Western Sydney World Series expansion.

“When I resigned from Warringah two weeks ago the plan was definitely to go to the Western Sydney franchise in that competition,” Coleman told foxsports.com.au.

“But in the last few days I’ve had some advice that’s on shaky ground and my understanding now is that team won’t be included in 2019.

“I’ve consequently connected with Gordon who were in search for a coach and I’ve ended up there.”

Forrest had hoped to tap into the Western Sydney market, particularly after the removal of the Penrith Emus from the Shute Shield left the region without a rugby club, but that now appears unlikely.

While NSW Rugby and Rugby Australia are believed to have been cautious about the mooted Western Sydney club because of the impact it would have on the Shute Shield, conversations have been positive between the parties.

Coleman explored the idea of returning to the Rats, but it was agreed the two would cut ties.

“I discussed with the VP of rugby with that this morning and two weeks ago I resigned and both parties were moving on,” Coleman said.

“I had a wonderful time at Warringah and I’m really thankful for the experience that I’ve had there and the understanding that the board has shown me in allowing me to pursue things.

“I’ve got nothing but kind and positive words to say about the Warringah club and people.”

Gordon, who finished last on the Shute Shield standings following the culling of Penrith, have been on the hunt for a new head coach for some time after they sacked Mark Philip early in the season and brought in Kolose Feaunati on a caretaker basis.

While conversations moved quickly over the past few days to secure Coleman, it’s understood discussions between the respective parties began weeks ago.

PODCAST! Former Wallaby and skills coach Glen Ella on Australia’s misfiring backline and the changes he’d make, indigenous rugby and his experiences with Eddie Jones

Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes by CLICKING HERE

Coleman’s arrival is a coup for Gordon.

The full-time rugby coach led the Rats to their first premiership in 12 years in 2017 and followed up their Shute Shield title by another grand final appearance this season.

Gordon managed just one win in 2018 and their first-grade side was involved in an all-in brawl at a training session.

Ironically, they came close to pulling off one of the upsets of the year against the Rats.

Foley recalled to startFoley recalled to start0:36
    It’s believed that Coleman is viewing the opportunity to elevate Gordon, who have one of the most exciting colts squads in Sydney, up the standings as his best chance to press for a Super Rugby coaching gig.

“Like everyone, you aspire to go to higher levels of the game but at this point in time those opportunities aren’t presenting themselves,” Coleman said.

“I like the challenge that different teams and different clubs present.

“Of course everyone wants to test themselves at the best possible level.

“I coach at the NRC level and I was very open to the Western Sydney in a fully professional franchise, (but) it just doesn’t seem it’ll bear fruit in the short-term so I had to make a decision based on my family.”

Coleman said he hoped to change the culture of Gordon and bring the community together.

“Just like anytime you go into a new place, you’ve got to meet the people and work out who wants to be involved and who doesn’t,” Coleman said.

“My first goal is to set up a rugby program that Gordon colts, which are very strong, want to be a part of and move to grade and be a part of a strong club.

“And potentially bring ex-Gordon players, who left for various reasons, who may see it as a worthwhile club and a high quality football program to join.”

MORE RUGBY NEWS

Player
    vCash
    Thanks Spartan. Don't know if this is good or bad, but news/update is good! Maybe a blessing in disguise. So per my previous post, just replace Western Sydney with Samoa/Tonga, playing out of .....

vCash
    I read it to say, twiggy campaigned for Western Sydney, but ra, while publicly supporting it, we're twisting the knife in the background and their shiny new board member from Gordon managed to find some magical way to entice him over there

Noting suss

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Transiting View Post
    Thanks Spartan. Don't know if this is good or bad, but news/update is good! Maybe a blessing in disguise. So per my previous post, just replace Western Sydney with Samoa/Tonga, playing out of .....
    So who has told him that Western Sydney won't be included? SRU? The Poisonous Chairman of the RA?

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I read it to say, twiggy campaigned for Western Sydney, but ra, while publicly supporting it, we're twisting the knife in the background and their shiny new board member from Gordon managed to find some magical way to entice him over there

Noting suss
    "A word to the wise old chap. We have been watching your development with an eye to the future......"

Leroy Jethro Gibbs Rules 39 & 40.

P.S. It could be interesting if Finger Tips' mates from Lindfield have any insider goss on this one.

Last edited by shasta; 06-10-18 at 02:09.

vCash
    Maybe fate will say that he will be a career club and NRC coach.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Senior Player
    vCash
    More hearsay from pubs and bars along the Pacific Highway.

The problem of a rugby union presence in Western Sydney has been solved by the SRU (and the NSWRU).
    A couple of months ago, the Parramatta "Two Blues" Rugby club was renamed the Western Sydney Two Blues Rugby club.
    http://www.shuteshield.com/media-rel...ney-two-blues/

Western Sydney now has a Shute Shield team and therefore a WSR team in Western Sydney will not be required.

Cumberland Council has a redevelopment plan for Granville Park, which will remain the Two Blues home ground.

It sounds like a couple of people in the offices at Daceyville are feeling rather chuffed with themselves.
    In the end, all it took to solve the problem of rugby union in Western Sydney was a stroke of a pen.

Simples.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post

The problem of a rugby union presence in Western Sydney has been solved by the SRU (and the NSWRU).
    A couple of months ago, the Parramatta "Two Blues" Rugby club was renamed the Western Sydney Two Blues Rugby club.

Western Sydney now has a Shute Shield team and therefore a WSR team in Western Sydney will not be required.

Cumberland Council has a redevelopment plan for Granville Park, which will remain the Two Blues home ground.

It sounds like a couple of people in the offices at Daceyville are feeling rather chuffed with themselves.
    In the end, all it took to solve the problem of rugby union in Western Sydney was a stroke of a pen.

Simples.
    Doesn't solve West Harbour's parlous financial state and Penrith remaining in limbo.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Doesn't solve West Harbour's parlous financial state and Penrith remaining in limbo.
    One view from The Greengate is that few tears are likely to be shed by the two unions if West Harbour goes under.
    Renaming Parramatta to Western Sydney eliminates the need to resuscitate Penrith; Penrith will be covered by the Western Sydney "Two Blues" foot-print.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    TBH, if WSR were targeting anywhere in NSW, I think I'd rather it be Newcastle supporting a "Future XX" type organisation. Maybe use that to help support overlooked kids in WS, but don't go head to head with RA's sacred cows. Maybe better still, start with an NRC team and academy and build up...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post

Simples.
    The stroke of a pen AND a big threat to the NSW ego when Andrew Forrest’s energetic and well-organised WSR came knocking, perhaps?!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    The stroke of a pen AND a big threat to the NSW ego when Andrew Forrest’s energetic and well-organised WSR came knocking, perhaps?!
    I still refuse to believe that the Western Sydney WSR gambit was anything more than a throwaway threat to force RA to the bargaining table.

Twiggy's not stupid enough to actually try to generate a heartbeat in NSW rugby is he?

C'mon the

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast