Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Australia v Ireland

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    InmyVERYhumbleopinion.... For what it's worth The Wales v The All blacks was a much better entertaining game! Lost in last 10 mins! I just couldn't go to bed!
    I only saw the first half and it was a cripple fight.

Ireland vs Australia was a top shelf Test match.

Cheika is building something, whether or not he has enough time before the World Cup time will tell us.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Welcome to the club palitu. He could do a little better with the pilfers but he brings a lot on game day
    I am happy for him not to pilfer, but balance the team correctly, have that seven and a pilfering 6, can't have none - we all saw what happens when you don't have a pilferer.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

Cheika is building something, whether or not he has enough time before the World Cup time will tell us.
    Suggest you watch the 2nd half where Wallabies had 63% possession and territory and still couldn't force the win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    I am happy for him not to pilfer, but balance the team correctly, have that seven and a pilfering 6, can't have none - we all saw what happens when you don't have a pilferer.
    Pilferer you say? mmmmm. I think I know of one. Stats show he's the best pilferer in the Southern Hemisphere.

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    Pilferer you say? mmmmm. I think I know of one. Stats show he's the best pilferer in the Southern Hemisphere.
    They can't play him in 6, they need to play a lock out of position to maintain parity in the lineout.

I think that's the main reason Fardy has been the first choice 6 for a while, he's a smallish lock who plays hard for the ball at the breakdown which covers two potential disasters rather than one.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Suggest you watch the 2nd half where Wallabies had 63% possession and territory and still couldn't force the win.
    Because the Irish defended pretty damn well and Kurtley Beale played like a retard.

Doesn't take away from what was a great Test match to watch. There would have alot of sore bodies on both sides on Sunday morning.

vCash

Careful, that almost sounds like common sense

vCash
    Anyone know where I can get a copy of this match?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Kuridrani out, Wallabies sink in rankings

By Liam FitzGibbon
    November 25, 2014, 8:12 am

The Wallabies have suffered a double blow ahead of their tour finale against England, losing in-form centre Tevita Kuridrani to injury and slumping to their equal lowest ever ranking.

Kuridrani was hurt early in the second half of Saturday's 26-23 loss to Ireland in Dublin and tests on Monday confirmed the 23-year-old suffered a low grade syndesmosis injury.

The Wallabies will be without in-form centre Tevita Kuridrani for Saturday's Test with England.

The Fijian-born centre will remain with the squad in London this week but his unavailability for Saturday's match at Twickenham will hit Australia's hopes of avoiding their worst spring tour since 2005.

The Wallabies will head into the match with their pride dented further by slipping to fifth in the rankings on Monday following back-to-back losses, with England climbing above them into fourth following a 28-9 win over Samoa.

It matches Australia's lowest position since the rankings were introduced in 2003.

Brumbies star Kuridrani has been arguably the Wallabies' form player in recent months, scoring in three of the past six matches and causing havoc in opposition defences with his power and pace.

He arrived at training in a moon boot in London on Monday afternoon and coach Michael Cheika will weigh up how best to replace one of his key attacking weapons in the coming days.

The injury could pave the way for Kurtley Beale to start against England, after the controversial utility replaced Kuridrani off the bench against Ireland.

Another, more likely, option is Adam Ashley-Cooper shifting in-field from the wing, allowing Henry Speight to retain a spot on one wing and Joe Tomane or Rob Horne to return on the other.

Australia are out to avoid losing three spring tour Tests for the first time in nine years and Saturday's clash takes on added significance ahead of the sides meeting in the group stage at next year's World Cup.

"You can certainly treat this match as a warm-up game for that World Cup match," Ashley-Cooper said on Monday.

"The reality is that's seven or eight months away, but we do have England at Twickenham in the World Cup so this gives us a really good understanding of what it's going to be like."

Australia's only loss of last year's European tour came at the hands of England, with a late, controversial try to Owen Farrell handing the hosts a 20-13 win.

"There were a couple of decisions at the end that didn't go our way but that's life," Ashley-Cooper said.

"It was a hard and physical encounter like they always have been when I've been here.

"They've always come down to five or seven points and that game was no different.

"It's the last game of our year and it's really important we finish on a good note before we pick up together again prior to a rugby World Cup."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...k-in-rankings/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I have to admit, I did enjoy watching the Ireland match. For all the faults, Australia definitely played better. The irish defense was great, but the Aussies seemed to be trying different things to crack it. It felt all along that we might be able to snatch it back, which makes the game exciting to watch.

I'm still frustrated at some stupid selection decisions which don't seem to be made based upon form, the most glaring example is leaving out the only fetcher in the squad when Hooper is obviously being told to play a wider role.

I'm pissed about the Beale selection because he was out of form for the whole season, hasn't played any rugby of note recently and came into the game showing exactly what we expected...timing off and trying the same ineffective bullshit that has got the Wallabies into trouble all year. In spite of that, if this tour is one of trying stuff, then he needed to be tried. If he gets a gig this week, I'll be ropeable. Lealiifano only got one game and was dropped after a better (marginally) performance than that......good for the goose I say.

I'd also be interested to have a look at the touring squad and see whether there is anybody other than Kyle who hasn't got a game this tour, since Cheika's comment about everybody getting a game this tour certainly doesn't seem as though it's going to work out this time.

I would put a bet on England this week, but the odds will be so short I'll owe the bookie twenty bucks when they win!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

I'd also be interested to have a look at the touring squad and see whether there is anybody other than Kyle who hasn't got a game this tour, since Cheika's comment about everybody getting a game this tour certainly doesn't seem as though it's going to work out this time.
    Adam Ashley-Cooper NSW Waratahs 30 100
    Ben Alexander ACT Brumbies 29 69
    Sam Carter ACT Brumbies 25 8
    Quade Cooper Queensland Reds 26 50
    Tom English Melbourne Rebels 23 Uncapped
    Saia Fainga’a Queensland Reds 27 32
    Tetera Faulkner Western Force 26 Uncapped
    Israel Folau NSW Waratahs 25 25
    Bernard Foley NSW Waratahs 25 14
    Will Genia Queensland Reds 26 55
    Kyle Godwin Western Force 22 Uncapped
    James Hanson Queensland Reds 26 5
    Scott Higginbotham Melbourne Rebels 28 31
    Matt Hodgson Western Force 33 9
    Michael Hooper (c) NSW Waratahs 22 38
    Rob Horne NSW Waratahs 25 22
    James Horwill Queensland Reds 29 56
    Luke Jones Melbourne Rebels 23 1
    Sekope Kepu NSW Waratahs 28 48
    Tevita Kuridrani ACT Brumbies 23 17
    Christian Leali'ifano ACT Brumbies 27 14
    Josh Mann-Rea ACT Brumbies 33 2
    Ben McCalman Western Force 26 34
    Sean McMahon Melbourne Rebels 20 Uncapped
    Nick Phipps NSW Waratahs 25 24
    Benn Robinson NSW Waratahs 30 69
    Rob Simmons Queensland Reds 25 46
    Will Skelton NSW Waratahs 22 4
    James Slipper Queensland Reds 25 59
    Henry Speight ACT Brumbies 26 Uncapped
    Joe Tomane ACT Brumbies 23 12
    Matt Toomua ACT Brumbies 24 19
    Nic White ACT Brumbies 23 18
    KB & Schatz joined tour late

I think it is only Kyle and the Coal Miner who have not had any game time on tour GIGS, and with Fanigaa not pulling up well Josh should at least hit the bench this week.

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 25-11-14 at 09:01.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    They can't play him in 6, they need to play a lock out of position to maintain parity in the lineout.

I think that's the main reason Fardy has been the first choice 6 for a while, he's a smallish lock who plays hard for the ball at the breakdown which covers two potential disasters rather than one.
    To some extent I agree with you but think back to 2009 when Hodgo was first called to the Wallabies.

Mitchell (in discussion with Deans) had turned Hodgo into a 6 playing beside Pocock.

In early 2009, Hodgo was called into the Wallabies to replace Rocky Elsom who was going to have a minor knee clean-out during the Rugby Championship/Tri-Nations. Hodgo's first game was against the Barbarians and unfortunately towards the end of the 1st half he was dropped in the lineout and dislocated his shoulder. 5 minutes later, and just before half time, someone stupidly made a lineout call which made Hodgo the lifter. Being Hodgo he did the job but that dislocated the shoulder again and ruled him out of the rest of the game. He ended up making his Test debut from off the bench against Fiji. He carried that shoulder injury for some time until it was reconstructed (along with his ankle in 2013).

Hodgo continued to play 6 for the Western Force whenever Pocock was fit. As we know the combination of Pocock, Hodgo and Brown/McCalman became well known in Super XV circles.
    Over recent years Hodgson has provided injury coverage for ALL back row positions for the Western Force. He doesn't have to do this now due to the likes of Alcock, Stander, Cottrell and Mafi (Hooray as Hodgo's not getting any younger!!)

There is no doubt that Fardy, after a poor series against France, had a good/very good latter part of the Rugby Championship. Against the Boks in Cape Town he made as many rucks as Hooper but had more impact. Against Argentina, Fardy had the most ruck engagements (36) with Hooper some way behind (20).

Under Link, both Fardy and Hooper made few contacts in rucks in Attack with most involvement in rucks in Defense.

That has been one of the changes under Cheika. The Wallabies are now holding back on the majority of Defensive rucks. Turnovers, with the inherent penalty risk, are not a priority. It started in the game against the Barbarians (Bled 3??) and in place by the game against Ireland.

The change is obvious:

Under Link
    Boks: Hooper - Attack 20/31 Defense; Fardy - Attack 23/27 Defence
    ARG: Fardy - Attack 14/22 Defence ; Hooper - Attack 7/13 Defence
    Bled3: Hooper - Attack 32/19 Defence; Fardy - Attack 29/10 Defence.

Under Cheika
    BaaBaas: Horwill - Attack 33/15 Defence; Hodgson - Attack 31/15 Defence; McMahon - Attack 30/8 Defence
    (Horwill and Hodgson obviously "Old School")
    Wales: Hooper - Attack 36/10 Defence; McMahon - Attack 26/7; Hodgson - Attack 10/8 Defence (10 mins) (Transition)
    France: Hooper - Attack 22/14 Defence; McMahon - Attack 30/2 Defence; McCalman - Attack 24/3 Defence
    (Transition almost complete)
    Ireland: Hooper - Attack 34/5 Defence; Jones - Attack 17/2 Defence; McCalman - Attack 15/8 Defence.
    (Transition complete - everyone follows orders.)

We've missed Fardy in the UK. Horwill, Higginbotham, McMahon and Jones have all been tried but not with the same effect.

The Wallabies have upped the pressure on the Offensive Rucks with a focus on ball retention but have taken the pressure off the Defensive Rucks with minimal efforts on turnover. I'm not enjoying it as it appears to be giving the opposition a free ride AND they are still getting through our defensive line. The Wallabies are looking "soft".

Personally, after reviewing all options for the game against England, it's time to let Hodgo loose at No 6 and see what the tight (Hodgson)/loose (Hooper) combination can do for a full game.
    Sharpie always had high regard for Hodgo in the lineout - and called him the WF/Wallabies 'secret weapon'.

Last edited by andrewg; 26-11-14 at 14:38.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    Will have to take your word for it Hertryk as I don't have Sentanta. The game received good press.

Interestingly, from what I've read, our last 20 mins compared to the ABs last 20 spoke volumes. Their subs improved the team's performance and they went up a gear, ours had a negative impact..
    I reckon you're right! The Welsh we're great, and the Abs just went into another gear, as they do in final 10mins! The Welsh were out on their feet and gave it everything!
    (I joined Setanta for the Spring tour! $40 ! When I cancel and start again it will be either $9.95 or $19.95 depending who one talks to! )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    That has been one of the changes under Cheika. The Wallabies are now holding back on the majority of Defensive rucks. Turnovers, with the inherent penalty risk, are not a priority. It started in the game against the Barbarians and in place by the game against Ireland.
    Thats not a new tactic.

The French used it against us, The Irish at times didn't pressure our ball at times either. If I could be bothered going back and watching some of this years Super Rugby comp or some of the Tests from earlier in the year I bet I can find the tactic in use.

vCash
    Thats not a new tactic.

The French used it against us, The Irish at times didn't pressure our ball at times either. If I could be bothered going back and watching some of this years Super Rugby comp or some of the Tests from earlier in the year I bet I can find the tactic in use.
    Where did I say it was a "new tactic"???

What the stats show is that Cheika appears to be making it the tactic against ALL (Nthn Hemisphere??) opposition.

Only time will tell if this is the best/most effective tactic but history would suggest that it's a tactic to be used SOME of the time not MOST of the time.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast