Thread: Boy wonder: O'Connor gets Wallabies berth

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Boy wonder: O'Connor gets Wallabies berth

May 22, 2009

The teenage talent is now on the biggest stage, writes Greg Growden.

James O'Connor, who was compared to renowned All Black Christian Cullen yesterday, is set to make his Wallabies starting debut at fullback against the Barbarians at the Sydney Football Stadium on June 6.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans dropped enough hints when he announced his 29-man training squad for the June internationals yesterday that the 18-year-old Western Force utility back was now ready to be a fully fledged international player.
    O'Connor had originally been selected in the Australian under-20s squad to play in next month's world cup tournament in Japan, but Deans had a rethink and was convinced he was now primed for a far bigger step - wearing the Wallabies No.15 jersey. A good performance against the Barbarians should ensure a Test cap the following week against Italy in Canberra.

Deans selected O'Connor for last year's end-of-season Wallabies tour of Hong Kong and Europe, where, at the age of 18 years and 126 days, he became the second youngest Test player for Australia when he came on for the final minutes of their 30-20 win over Italy in Padova.

That tour convinced many that O'Connor was something special, but some exceptional performances for the Force in this year's Super 14 gave Deans and co-selectors David Nucifora and Jim Williams no option but to take him out of the Australian youth team and into the full Wallabies squad.

When asked why O'Connor had been promoted, Deans replied: "It came down to James's performances, essentially. He's showed he is ready to push on. And we're ready to involve him. He warrants a start. We would not have contemplated retaining him if we weren't contemplating starting him. It's that simple."
    That start is expected to come in Australia's first outing against the Barbarians early next month before their internationals against Italy and France. O'Connor played the end of the Super 14 season at inside centre, but Deans sees him as a fullback.

When Deans, a former All Blacks Test fullback, was asked if O'Connor reminded him of any other No.15s, he replied: "I don't like to do comparisons, but obviously he has footwork that is not dissimilar to Christian Cullen.

"He has the ability to beat the man. He is not a big man, but he's a strong man, in terms of timing balance and coordination. He's a hard man to get a hold of."
    Deans also likes O'Connor's versatility, saying: "Ultimately, he could settle into No.12. He's clearly got the capacity to do that, and we'll clearly use him in that second-receiver role from No.15. But in terms of day-in, day-out, week-in, week-out confrontation, he is not ready for that yet. From No.15, it allows us to involve him, and it's where he can inject himself in the game in a way that suits."

Although O'Connor was preparing for a Japanese adventure, he is delighted his travel plans now mean a detour to Sydney to join his Wallabies teammates in camp on May 31.

The only concern is that O'Connor is suffering from a shoulder complaint, but both coach and player do not believe it will prevent him being involved in the Barbarians match.

O'Connor said yesterday Deans told him he had been included in the Wallabies squad, "to fast-track my development".

"And it's always been my dream to be given a shot," O'Connor said. "I've had some time at No.15, and believe that I have the required experience there. I like fullback because you get that extra space to showcase your skills, which is great."

One of O'Connor's opponents at the SFS will be Waratahs skipper Phil Waugh, who has been included in the Wallabies squad, but given permission to appear for the Barbarians in their matches against England in London and Australia. Waugh will rejoin the Wallabies after the SFS match.

"Phil was keen to play [for the Barbarians]," Deans said. "He'd been invited to play and earned that honour. We see it as a win-win. He is getting exposure in two more top-class games, and will be going head-to-head with the other flankers in our squad, which is a great result for us."

The Western Force, with 10 Wallabies, finished with the most squad members, followed by the Waratahs (nine), Brumbies (six) and Reds (four).

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And there JO'Cs career path in writing...

Article Extract:
    Deans also likes O'Connor's versatility, saying: "Ultimately, he could settle into No.12. He's clearly got the capacity to do that, and we'll clearly use him in that second-receiver role from No.15. But in terms of day-in, day-out, week-in, week-out confrontation, he is not ready for that yet. From No.15, it allows us to involve him, and it's where he can inject himself in the game in a way that suits."

Force best listen to Deans... if JOC is to stay in the West... He future is in international rugby... and his Father understands what he needs to do...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post

Force best listen to Deans... if JOC is to stay in the West... He future is in international rugby... and his Father understands what he needs to do...

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I'd love to see James play at 15, as he is the best avaliable option we have there. Ultimately I can see him OWNING the gold 12 jersey, however Deans is very keen to play him at 15. Game time is experiance for the little guy and it seems like he will get a fair bit, after he got pulled out of the u20s to get developed with Deans! Who is lining up as fullback for the BaaBaa's?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I agree with you here Muddy, James' International rugby future IS at #12 and the best preparation for that is at the Force, where he'll actually get to play #12 at a provincial level and hone his skills in preparation for International play in the medium term.

It's a shame all the Brumbies can offer is a wad of cash and playing him out of position in a squad full of ageing old stagers with no apparent development path to international rugby.

I hope his dad is thinking with more than his wallet!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I agree with you here Muddy, James' International rugby future IS at #12 and the best preparation for that is at the Force, where he'll actually get to play #12 at a provincial level and hone his skills in preparation for International play in the medium term.

It's a shame all the Brumbies can offer is a wad of cash and playing him out of position in a squad full of ageing old stagers with no apparent development path to international rugby.

I hope his dad is thinking with more than his wallet!
    Deans also likes O'Connor's versatility, saying: "Ultimately, he could settle into No.12. He's clearly got the capacity to do that, and we'll clearly use him in that second-receiver role from No.15.

Brumbies will have most of the Wallabies backline next year... Best to be apart of it than be an outsider… He'll develop better at the Brumbies... At the WF LOC wont have Giteau to distract the opposition and make him look so good next year.... Remember Coach John Mitchell’s recent words, " He can do it on his own"... humbug...